Sponsored

At what point are additional skids needed?

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Mine isn't lifted, and I have since added a Hellwig rear swaybar. The pucks to raise the swaybar mounts work fine.

The rear diff mentions that these are "made specifically for lifted JT trucks." Any issues putting them on a stock one?
Sponsored

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Just a head's up, I inquired with Metalcloak and the rep said that the front diff plate doesn't fit. His quote: " Thank you for reaching out. The rear will work without an issue and you are correct that you have a 210 front. The front diff and skid only works on the 18-20 model years. The 21+ has a different casting that does not allow the front skid to work. We are working on one that will work."
I have the both plates sitting in a cart, but want to be 100% certain the the front plates from either Metalcloak or Rancho will fit without grinding.

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
Keep away from the DV8 front differential skid plate. Absolute garbage design. It clunks and makes contact just going over minor seams on paved roads. I called DV8 and they just told me to put rubber over the areas that make contact?!? I cannot imagine the damage this would do if you actually took it off road. Extreme Terrain was great about returning it though and we talked about other options.

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? DV8 installed

Unfortunately, Extreme Terrain said that the Rancho differential skid plates are only designed for the Rubicon. So it looks like there are no differential skid plate options for the other JT models at the moment. (I have an 80th anniversary.)

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? Rancho

I think I might get the Rock Hard Front & Rear LCA skid plates for a trip with Jeep Adventure Academy to the Badlands in Indiana in October.

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? rockhard-4x4-front-rear-lower-control-arm-skid-plate-jl-rh-90515_0

Last edited:

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Thanks for that! I was surprised finding a front plate would be so difficult. Several people ahve said certain ones worked for them, but no one yet driving a 2021 Willys has so I'm being patient until I'm sure on something.

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
Thanks for that! I was surprised finding a front plate would be so difficult. Several people ahve said certain ones worked for them, but no one yet driving a 2021 Willys has so I'm being patient until I'm sure on something.
I agree completely. I thought this would be much easier. The DV8 skid plate was packaged really well and the skid plate itself looks very durable. It is the U-shaped mounts that go over the axle housing that are the issue. Terrible engineering. I had a bad feeling installing it that I would soon be removing it just based on the huge amount of articulation built into our suspensions. Sure enough, the first seem in the road I drove over I thought I had a flat tire with how loud the impact was. 😳

Sponsored

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
Keep away from the DV8 front differential skid plate. Absolute garbage design. It clunks and makes contact just going over minor seams on paved roads. I called DV8 and they just told me to put rubber over the areas that make contact?!? I cannot imagine the damage this would do if you actually took it off road. Extreme Terrain was great about returning it though and we talked about other options.

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? rockhard-4x4-front-rear-lower-control-arm-skid-plate-jl-rh-90515_0

Unfortunately, Extreme Terrain said that the Rancho differential skid plates are only designed for the Rubicon. So it looks like there are no differential skid plate options for the other JT models at the moment. (I have an 80th anniversary.)

I think I might get the Rock Hard Front & Rear LCA skid plates for a trip with Jeep Adventure Academy to the Badlands in Indiana in October.

I have all the rock hard skid plates underneath. Great company. Family owned. Have bought other products for my LJ. I also have the diff. Skid from Rancho on my JT. Front and rear, work great

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Which front skid did you go with that fit the non Rubicon JT?

mnf1fan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Challenger Hellcat. 17' Grand Cherokee SRT, 2021 Mojave,Loaded.
I just ordered Rusty's Rear lower control arm skids. Anyone install these yet? Looks like a challenge getting the nuts inside the frame for the two small bolts.
(stock photo)
Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? ra-js5590-jt-installed-2-wm-web

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Mine just came in the mail yesterday. Haven't tried to install them yet. I was hoping it would be simple, but you make a great point regarding the nuts. Oh boy. Holding onto a nut must not be my strong point; I still have one rolling around inside my hood somewhere from changing the hood latch.

Sponsored

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
I ordered the Rock Hard Lower Control Arm and shock skid plate set (incorrect picture). Sounds like I will need to pick up longer bolts for the shocks?

I am also considering the Quadratec aluminum oil pan/transmission skid plate. Anyone try this out yet?

Jeep Gladiator At what point are additional skids needed? quadratec-eng-trans-skid-plate-3.6l-jt-main

mnf1fan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine just came in the mail yesterday. Haven't tried to install them yet. I was hoping it would be simple, but you make a great point regarding the nuts. Oh boy. Holding onto a nut must not be my strong point; I still have one rolling around inside my hood somewhere from changing the hood latch.
I talked to Rusty today to get his take on this. He said they used a long needle nose pliers to hold the nut back there. Said its not super easy, but "doable".

mnf1fan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the Rock Hard Lower Control Arm and shock skid plate set (incorrect picture). Sounds like I will need to pick up longer bolts for the shocks?
Be sure to post any hints with the install. Think I'll be ordering the same Hard Rock kit,

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
At what point are additional skids needed?
the moment you ask that question :CWL:

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
The Rock hard lower control arm and shock skid plate kit is on super back order. On second thought I may cancel that order since they are pretty well covered up already, except for the rear shocks.

I think it would be tough to hit the oil pan since it is much higher up than the front differential and tucked right behind it. The exhaust pipe that goes right in front of the cross member looks pretty exposed though. I am starting to think the Quadratec oil pan/transmission skid plate might be a good idea.

Is that really the only additional skid plate that a Rubicon has compared to my 80th anniversary? The Jeep website is not terribly clear on this.
Sponsored