Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
It has VGT so it actually builds boost even at idle and or coasting. I see 4 psi roll into throttle it hits 15psi and accelerates like the 3.6L did. If i floor it it hits 30-32psi and absolutely hauls the mail.

I did put a pedalmonster and derringer which made it even more responsive. It pulls uphill in 8th like the pentastar did in 5th and if you downshift to 6th it would easily outpull the 3.6L which would be in 4th to make any power.
But it won’t because the engine will over heat because there’s not enough room in the bay to keep it cool enough to
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Trenton, MI is what google results show
Not for the Gladiator.......... Google is often wrong because it generalizes. It finds the word Pentastar connected with a location and that's what it posts.

Jeep Gladiator Beware 3.6 Penstar 1660069178823

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
But it won’t because the engine will over heat because there’s not enough room in the bay to keep it cool enough to
Engine runs hot but overheat is only when towing up hills. Very few people have had derating (actual warning on dash and speed limiting) with unloaded jeeps not towing trailers. I have not derated climbing up to tahoe (6-7k ft) on a 100 degree day doing 80 ish mph up hills.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Glad I’ve never had a 2020 to be concerned
I put 27,000 on my 2020. Never so much as a tick, no CEL, flawless engine. No leaks of any sort.
It towed strong, decent mpg for a brick, even while towing, and did I mention - no tick, no odd sounds, no cam issues..........

--------------

I'm not sure why people are saying "lifter issues" as these have lash adjusters and rockers (also called followers)
The only issues I've seen related to lash adjusters (what many call lifters) is that the wrong ones were used in some engines. That's it. they were not defective, just incorrect.

So any engine that has a noise we can always blame the same parts, the same cause, I guess.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We've had several of them........... at least 4 in Grand Cherokees, and 2 in Gladiators.
Oddly, the 2 dealerships I've talked to directly have yet to see cam issues in these trucks.
What’s more reliable then the newly designed Pentastar, I can’t think of any others in their lineup as reliable

Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put 27,000 on my 2020. Never so much as a tick, no CEL, flawless engine. No leaks of any sort.
It towed strong, decent mpg for a brick, even while towing, and did I mention - no tick, no odd sounds, no cam issues..........

--------------

I'm not sure why people are saying "lifter issues" as these have lash adjusters and rockers (also called followers)
The only issues I've seen related to lash adjusters (what many call lifters) is that the wrong ones were used in some engines. That's it. they were not defective, just incorrect.

So any engine that has a noise we can always blame the same parts, the same cause, I guess.
Ignorance is bliss, man, that’s my guess, just ignorant

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped

--------------

Because its function is similar to a common lifter. It takes up the lash hydraulically. They were referred to as finger followers also.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Because its function is similar to a common lifter. It takes up the lash hydraulically. They were referred to as finger followers also.
It doesn't lift. In fact, into the 60s lifters ONLY lifted, (actually even the 70s) there was nothing hydraulic about them. They rode the cam and lifted.
MOPAR calls them lash adjusters, STAR training calls them lash adjusters.
Lifters lift. These sit there and look pretty.
I was a mechanic when adjusting lifters - SOLID lifters, was still pretty common.
There's nothing in common with a true lifter.
But lash - now that fits. These take up lash in the valve train, nothing else. They don't even move. They sit in a hole.

Finger followers? What country?
I've been through college, factory training, have FCA materials and have worked in more than one shop - finger follower?
Not a lifter. They are neither fingers or followers of fingers.

Lifters - hydraulic ones -
Jeep Gladiator Beware 3.6 Penstar 1660086296788

The slant 6 had solid, non-hydraulic lifters through 1980 -pure lifters, nothing more.
Jeep Gladiator Beware 3.6 Penstar 1660086647438

2016 and later VVL lash adjuster -
Jeep Gladiator Beware 3.6 Penstar 1660087034684

Rocker arm or follower for 2016 and later VVL 3.6 -
The rollers and the bearings in the rollers don't fall apart, the inner high lift lobe and the high lift part of the rocker get toasted.
Jeep Gladiator Beware 3.6 Penstar cam-follower

This is the early 3.6 that the law suit is about -
Jeep Gladiator Beware 3.6 Penstar 1660087575662

Totally different animal. It's the bearings in the rollers that blow up -
This is an example where the needle bearings went south and the roller stopped rolling
This is typical but not the only way the early 3.6 valve train failed, just the most common.
Jeep Gladiator Beware 3.6 Penstar 1660088136542

So the failures are valve train, but to say it's the same "design flaw" that caused the pre-2016 3.6 failures is what's causing the JT 3.6 to fail........... they are failing in different ways.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
my jeep is greatly depreciated (carfax will reflect engine work),
That's a bunch of crap right there. Nothing about engine work depreciates, and not all shops report all work. If it's warranty work, there's nothing to depreciate except by idiots who believe crapfax is god and that if there's been any work done it should be avoided.
Frankly, if I was looking for something used, and I saw engine work - say a long block, or all cams and rockers were replaced - I'd feel pretty good about the engine.
Typically used cars actually are better if they have had engine work - one less thing for the buyer to worry about, especially in these cases, and the work is typically warranted.

Sounds like lashing out more than following logic.
Carfax carfax carfax - there's such a fixation on it and yet even consumer groups say "be careful". Carfax MAY reflect what shops do - MAY, not will.

And back to the law suit bull shit - that's NOT this engine design. That's for faulty rocker arm roller bearings - the bearings in the rollers. The rockers on the EARLY 3.6 were full roller rocker arms. They had a single function, and the rollers were a very different, totally different design.
This isn't even the same engine in the respect of the rockers and cams.
The current 3.6 has dual rollers for low lift mode, and in high lift mode (above 2800 RPM) it stops using the rollers and runs like a flat tappet cam situation - no rollers.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
People with small minds make gross generalizations ...

I don't know anyone that would say diesel engines are unreliable .. Now, diesel engines designed and built in Italy ? Yeah, that's another story ... Its not about the fuel, its about the reputation of Italy for (oh i don't know, maybe since 500BC give or take) and their engines ... And before anyone gets all WOKE on my fat ass, I'm as Italian as they come ... And, as a card carrying Italian I can reliably say, if ya wanna win races, buy Italian (especially the motorcycles) but if ya wanna get where yer goin, ya might want to reconsider ...

You may be one of the lucky ones. The engine might run smoother or have more torque (when its running). It may be a thing to behold .. Agree 100% ... But the numbers will show that it is no where near as reliable as the gasser ... Outliers exist yes ... But overall, not gonna happen ...

salute'
Haters hate, it's what they do...........
hey you woodchucks, quit chucking that wood! Sorry.

XJFanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
There is a certain batch of 2020 Gladiator that had lifter issues - It's somewhere in the forums. It is not "ALL GLADIATORS" it's only a batch between 2020 3-4 months. You can check your VIN. Most dealerships are idiots. Look for a new one or just wait. I'm loving my Gladiator Magnuson SC, without any issues (knock on wood)
Where would one check their vin? I have seen this posted before but never could find a link or vin range.

BajaTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave - 2003 TJ Rubicon -2008 JKU Rubicon
The current 3.6 has dual rollers for low lift mode, and in high lift mode (above 2800 RPM) it stops using the rollers and runs like a flat tappet cam situation - no rollers.
Not familiar with that config. Makes me wonder if it needs a higher zinc ppm oil?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Where would one check their vin? I have seen this posted before but never could find a link or vin range.
There isn't.

In fact, even in that range there's been many that have not failed.
There's nothing to look up No one has tracked VINs. It's more of a pattern than specifics .

27,000 miles on the 2020 I traded in, no so much as a mild tick.
Sponsored