Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to say it, but this feature has save me a couple of times, while backing into the garage with a door open and while backing up to park my trailer, I got out and still had it in reverse, as I wanted to hurry up to see how close I was. Its a love hate thing, but I see the usefulness of it.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to say it, but this feature has save me a couple of times, while backing into the garage with a door open and while backing up to park my trailer, I got out and still had it in reverse, as I wanted to hurry up to see how close I was. Its a love hate thing, but I see the usefulness of it.
You nailed some of the reasons. I've seen vehicles totaled because someone got out and was so sure they had moved that lever and it was in park - only to get out and the car backed onto a highway and was hit. Odd how people scoff at how something can save lives and properties when at worst it's an inconvenience to them. What's more important? Someone to not be annoyed or some kid get killed? But then everyone is a perfect driver and never ever ever makes a mistake, (just ask 'em) so these things are obviously totally unnecessary.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Today had just taken seat belt off, shifted to neutral to roll through car wash. I had to open and close my mojave door quickly at last minute before went under water sprayer. , asking car wash attendant to please push down back of bed trifold hard cover to better seal.
Next time open your window.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I hear removing the driveshafts helps.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking the same thing. I've stepped out of my vehicle with it in gear.

One way to make it less intrusive would be to bring the seat occupancy sensor into the equation.
If you put it into gear with the door open, ok. but if the seat is suddenly unocupied you apply the brakes and put it into park.

This would just be a software revision. No hardware changes necessary. All the hardware to do this is already there.

56cbr600rr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Old thread... Had it happend to me yesterday. But with my seatbelt on.. But I did open the door and lean forward somewhat aggressively, maybe taking my weight off the seat weight sensor....

Anyone else have his happen with the seatbelt on?

Did not read all 10 pages btw...

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Old thread... Had it happend to me yesterday. But with my seatbelt on.. But I did open the door and lean forward somewhat aggressively, maybe taking my weight off the seat weight sensor....

You probably should. At minimum skim it then.

You took your weight off the seat. There is a sensor there. It worked as intended.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

That is part of the programming. It monitors the seat belt and the weight sensor.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

It's to save your butt from falling out and being run over or otherwise killed by your own car.
Dealer and I were talking about this feature yesterday when my wife didn't get her door closed - he said he knows of 2 deaths because people got run over by their own vehicles.

You took your butt off the seat, it assumed you may have fallen out and it didn't want your wife or kid to come out and find you dead.

Sponsored

56cbr600rr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
It's to save your butt from falling out and being run over or otherwise killed by your own car.
Dealer and I were talking about this feature yesterday when my wife didn't get her door closed - he said he knows of 2 deaths because people got run over by their own vehicles.

You took your butt off the seat, it assumed you may have fallen out and it didn't want your wife or kid to come out and find you dead.
Yes, familiar with it from reading before I bought.... Was just surprised it happened buckled in..

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
While we are having fun here...
I got told by the car wash guys that i need to exit the vehicle while it rolls through there. Some new safety rule...
So put the car into neutral, got out, obviously goes into auto park locking up the slider that directs the car through the wash. I have not tried buckling, but assume the seat sensor will still prevent it.
The guys stressed out as I told them it is on them if they mess up the vehicle (I have been at their chain plenty of times and their product is great, just never been at that location and it is an older station. I assume that is why they need to ask people to get out due to it not having an emergency exit) and they let me jump in and go through with it.
They were not amused, I was not amused... the truck was clean atleast

yeah yeah, I know, should have taken the doors off 😈

Last edited:

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I didnt read all ten pages, sorry if this is a double up.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...elchin-settlement-jeep-death-court/451290002/

This is the actor that died due to not properly putting his vehicle in park on his GC. I think this sparked the autopark. i could be wrong, but i remember this being the turning point and the source material for a way to prevent it.

Manufacturers need to stop messing with the PRNDL levers. Just my two cents. id rather have a column shifter than a floor shifter and id rather have the high beam switch on the floor like the old days.

Im 38 btw, i didnt grow up with these features, i just prefer them.
It's in here. Easy to search within the thread.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
While we are having fun here...
I got told by the car wash guys that i need to exit the vehicle while it rolls through there. Some new safety rule...
So put the car into neutral, got out, obviously goes into auto park locking up the slider that directs the car through the wash. I have not tried buckling, but assume the seat sensor will still prevent it.
The guys stressed out as I told them it is on them if they mess up the vehicle (I have been at their chain plenty of times and their product is great, just never been at that location and it is an older station. I assume that is why they need to ask people to get out due to it not having an emergency exit) and they let me jump in and go through with it.
They were not amused, I was not amused... the truck was clean atleast

yeah yeah, I know, should have taken the doors off 😈
Next time, you could try leaving it in Park and put the Transfer Case in Neutral.
Sponsored