Sponsored

Brake-lock differential deserves more credit.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Recently I had another trip to Ocotillo Wells playground on my way to Borrego Springs. My wife was eager to drive the gladiator offroad, and I was more than happy to let her take a go. It's not often I'm in the passenger seat, especially wheeling. We went up a spot on the playground that certainly wasn't challenging, but was steep, sandy, and had a ledge. Enough to separate a CUV or 1990s aged 4wd with open diffs. I say that because for the first time, I really felt the brake lock differentials doing their thing. My MT doesn't have lockers, and even though I just regeared myself, I opted not to install lockers at the same time, despite how easy it would have been. Why? I never felt I really needed them. Even on my old 2013 JK, I never felt I needed them. Ironically, on my 2017 JKUR, I used the lockers all the time and I can't explain why.

While the brake lock diff is by no means a locker, I was pretty impressed with how much it was working. I could feel and hear the brakes doing their thing, and we needed it to get up this obstacle. I have no doubt it's been putting in a lot of work for me over the years.

Here's the obstacle, but we're going down in this pic.

Jeep Gladiator Brake-lock differential deserves more credit. 08415A4A-E3BD-4A46-94DD-0E8067E17530

Jeep Gladiator Brake-lock differential deserves more credit. 272608EC-239C-493D-B890-335B84FB501D

Jeep Gladiator Brake-lock differential deserves more credit. F2F36907-4265-40D7-B18B-100A95D372ED
Sponsored

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Modern computerized traction control is amazing and honestly does a better job in most cases than having a locker. Example a front locker engaged makes it very difficult to steer off road. Another example, my rubicon JKU HR often had trouble with the lock ring failure. This is a $900+ dollar dealer fix.

my MT has a limited slip and combined with the traction control works very well. For example, driving north this last winter I found myself in ice then 8 inches of snow. At first I used the 4WD mode (wishing I had the AWD mode) then found after switching in and out off 4WD and 2 WD that on 2WD the jeep was fine with traction. Even on the ice!

MaysvilleStig

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
United States Marine Corps
In 4Wheel Drive low, all that stuff is de-activated...
Is that only in the sport models? I thought it got more aggressive in 4Low (at least with Offroad+). I'm not sure, I just use the lockers since I have them. Gonna have to play around with it next time I go out.

Sponsored

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
In 4Wheel Drive low, all that stuff is de-activated...
Nope. BLD works in 4-Lo and 4-Hi…. here is an excerpt from Jeep a while back

”Brake Lock Differentials (BLDs), which are incorporated into the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) algorithm. BLDs apply braking force to an axle's spinning wheel in order to provide an equal amount of torque to each wheel and deliver greater traction for rock-crawling over severe off-road terrain. A separate set of BLD calibrations is designed for off-road operation and automatically activates when driving in 4 Low”

Do not mix up two different things. There is Trac-Lok (which is basically a LSD) and there is Brake Lock Differential. They. are not the same.

Trac-Lok anti-spin (limited slip differential) is always active and works independently of Brake Lock Differential. Brake Lock Differential works with both axles but is only active in 4-Hi and 4-Lo. BLD will kick in if the torque bias is higher than Trac-Lok can handle

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Modern computerized traction control is amazing and honestly does a better job in most cases than having a locker. Example a front locker engaged makes it very difficult to steer off road. Another example, my rubicon JKU HR often had trouble with the lock ring failure. This is a $900+ dollar dealer fix.

my MT has a limited slip and combined with the traction control works very well. For example, driving north this last winter I found myself in ice then 8 inches of snow. At first I used the 4WD mode (wishing I had the AWD mode) then found after switching in and out off 4WD and 2 WD that on 2WD the jeep was fine with traction. Even on the ice!
Respectfully disagree. Brake-lock/traction control are amazing and make a huge difference, but in certain situations (light front end or one wheel off the ground), there is no substitute for a real locker.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Correct me if I'm wrong but the JK had this as well, maybe they just didn't market it as such, and maybe it wasn't quite as aggresive. Modern traction control works by applying the brakes with most vehicles.

Just going off my experiences wheeling with my buddy and his sport JK. He'd nearly lift a tire sometimes and get a smidge of wheelspin then it'd start moving. Unless a previous owner had installed an LSD of some sort into the otherwise stock Jeep. I was really impressed by it's ability with open diffs front and rear. Drive a TJ or XJ pre-traction control with open diffs and you'll be amazed how little articulation is required to spin tires and go nowhere.

I still prefer a mechanical locker or geared LSD if it's paired to a manual trans for the positive feedback and immediate action. Or if it's meant to be a sporty vehicle. I briefly had an SVT Raptor and that brake-based LSD in the rear was a fun killer.

chadinsc

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 jku rubicon
Occupation
manufacturing
as a two time rubicon owner i can surely say the bld is a great feature. i absolutely love it. it gives you great traction in most situations and doesn’t make turning hard. i could definitely get down my trails without a rubicon. i just enjoy having the lockers because its neat. lockers definitely have there place and in some situations they are unbelievably effective. but non rubicons jeeps are very effective also. lockers are just another tool in the tool box. off topic but for me the sway bar disconnect is my favorite feature and i use it all the time. can definitely be added with disconnect links cheaply though

Last edited:

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
No ... it's not
I stand corrected... How do you activate it ? touch the brakes while slightly hitting the gas ? I was just at an obstacle this past weekend at Hungry Valley and one of the Gladiators in our group got hung up with a front tire spinning and the opposite back tire spinning... He could not get the tires with traction to move. He was in the rocks in 1st gear low-lock.

OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I was planning on installing arb lockers on my truck, but after taking it out a few times I'm not sure I can justify the expense. The rear lsd paired with traction control is just too good
Exactly my sentiment when I regeared. It would have been so simple, as I already had the carrier out. Mind you, the $1200 E-locker cost was also a nagging issue, but as long as I've owned my gladiator, there's only been a single time I looked down and saw a wheel not turning when I wanted it to. A locker is still the ultimate traction aid, but this thread is just an appreciation for how good brake lock actually is.

Looking at videos of the new Bronco unlocked, you can really appreciate the native, and hidden, feature Jeeps have.

XJFanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The BLD is great, you just need to get over the natural habit of fighting wheel spin. It needs to sense spin to work. I watched my FIL fight it and ultimately have to winch my JLU up something I was able to bump my TJ over with open diffs.

Like most systems you just need to learn how it functions and adapt your wheeling style.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
to the Original poster. I do know exactly what you are talking about and have done many Jeep BOH's with the assistance of the BLD system. No lockers, no limited slip diff. If you know that its standard on most JT's and take the time to learn it, it is a vital tool. Excellent post.
Sponsored