First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
That‘s totally subjective, obviously. They have 190,000 converted reservations so you’re in the minority fer sure.
Prolly not that many people who want an off-road vehicle remember a 1966-1977 vehicle all that well.

Anyway, strokes/folks.
Sponsored

pendragonz

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I think Ford missed the bus.

They were late on bringing the Bronco back, even though it has been talked about for several years.

Then the timing of trying to introduce in the middle of the worldwide mess and raw material not available.

Pushing back delivery dates on people that put substantial amounts of money down.

When it's all said and done, probably only die hard blue oval fans will still be interested.
Like any other commodity, make the consumer wait too long and the demand is gone.
I had my reservation in day 1, as I had been waiting for the Bronco for years. As time went on, and more and more options were pulled back from first year models, I started to get nervous. More and more options gone, longer and longer wait, and I decided that if I was going to spend $55k on a vehicle, I wanted it to be exactly what I wanted, not a compromise. Pulled my reservation in December, and gave some long and hard thought into what was next for me. It was really close between the Tacoma and the Gladiator, but the Gladiator won out.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Like minds. I have to be honest, waiting to see what the Tundra rolls out as I wait on Earl to be announced. Might just replace my current Tundra with another one. The 3.5 twin turbo getting 409 hp and 479 ft tq is mighty tempting as I’m only interested in a JTRD or Freedom Diesel.

Last edited:

Gladijave

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GC, 2021 JTR
I had my reservation in day 1, as I had been waiting for the Bronco for years. As time went on, and more and more options were pulled back from first year models, I started to get nervous. More and more options gone, longer and longer wait, and I decided that if I was going to spend $55k on a vehicle, I wanted it to be exactly what I wanted, not a compromise. Pulled my reservation in December, and gave some long and hard thought into what was next for me. It was really close between the Tacoma and the Gladiator, but the Gladiator won out.

Same here, except day 3 reservation. Had to think long and hard about what I really wanted. I don’t know if anyone’s ever said this about a Jeep, but it was just a lot more practical for me, lol. I really liked the looks of the 2-door Bronco and was excited to take it through my woods, but the gladiator will be so much nicer for doing other stuff in, and I can still take it through my woods once I clear the old logging trails some. Also, my 8 year old wasn’t very happy when I told him the only ac vents in the back on the Bronco were at feet level, haha.
Haven’t canceled my Bronco reservation, so I’ll see where I’m at when they actually can make them with hard tops next year.

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
The Bronco (not to be confused with the Bronco Sport) seems to be what we call in the computer business, 'vaporware'. Technically, it's a piece of software that is touted and touted, for months, years, but never materializes. I think the same thing applies here. Unless I missed something, I've not seen anything to make me think that it exists, other than showing one at a car show here and there.
Well, they started shipping to dealers on June 14th, so it has materialized

Sponsored

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
"Ford, is that you?"

One doesn't normally go on a Jeep Forum and poo poo solid front axles. Like running into a biker bar and yelling 'Harleys suck!". See how that works out for you.

There's a reason that Toyota and other auto manufacturers still offer solid front axles on vehicles in other less developed countries with bad roads. It isn't elitism.

There's a reason I own a Ford F250 4wd and not a Chevy HD 2500 4wd. Hint... It's the solid front axle.

There's a reason I own a Gladiator and not a Tacoma, Ranger, or Chevy. It isn't elitism. It's off-road strength and capability. Solid front axle.

There's a reason Jeep is renown for off-road capability. Solid axles.

Go wheeling hard sometime. You'll figure it out eventually. It isn't elitism. It's strength and capability.

The Bronco seems very cool. The problem is the front end. So I guess I'm a solid axle purist. You said purists could 'shove it". Respectfully, I won't. But I'll still pull you out when you get your engine skid on your IFS hung up.

Ford could have made a solid axle. They could've had Jeep by the balls.

Here in America where I live, most folks don't care about drivetrain design. As long as it looks cool and starts when you turn the key. Ford will sell lots of them.
Not so sure on the solid axle is the "end all king" of offroad. Why are most if not all trophy 4wd trucks IFS? Hummer was a IFS design. While I agree that rock bashing or anything where you're gonna scrap terra firma, solid axles are probably best, but any high speed desert running or mud slinging, I'd probably say IFS is gonna be better then a solid axle. Pound for pound and HP for HP, a Mojave will get destroyed by a IFS front suspension truck it the desert.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For 2021 Ford is pulling the same crap most manufacturers do by forcing the automatic if you want any optional creature comforts like climate control, navigation, 110V outlet (WTF?). On the plus side you can get the 4 Auto feature (AWD) with the manual which Jeep does not. I wonder if any of that will change with the offering of Sasquatch for 2022?
The base Bronco engine, which is the only one available with a MT happens to be more powerful by a good margin than anything that Jeep offers with a MT.

The Bronco's 2.3L 4 makes 300 hp and 325 lb-ft of torque.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't get a MT on the 4xE or the 392.

There are also established tuners that have a history of tuning the 2.3 in the Ranger that for $500 will get you up to~350 hp and 400 ft-lbs of torque, while preserving Ford's knock detection system.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow I didn't believe you so I just tried and that is kind of shitty. I'm guessing they're gating options to smooth the launch but I hope they loosen those requirements at some point if they want to prove they're backing the manual for real.
The only option you can't get with a MT bronco is the V6. Everything else in available. If you don't believe me, go to ford.com and use the configurator. Select the Badlands trim. Which includes front and rear lockers and a detachable front roll bar.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
The only option you can't get with a MT bronco is the V6. Everything else in available. If you don't believe me, go to ford.com and use the configurator. Select the Badlands trim. Which includes front and rear lockers and a detachable front roll bar.
Go set up a 7MT on one of the lower trims (the one just above base) and then try to add the mid package with the dual zone A/C and 110V outlet. The MT option changes to AT or at least did the other day.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go set up a 7MT on one of the lower trims (the one just above base) and then try to add the mid package with the dual zone A/C and 110V outlet. The MT option changes to AT or at least did the other day.
It appears that we are both right.

You are correct that when you try to add the mid package to a Black Diamond, it forces the AT.

I am correct that when you spec out a mid package in a Badlands, it allows you to keep the MT and 4cyl.

Strange.

Sponsored

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Not so sure on the solid axle is the "end all king" of offroad. Why are most if not all trophy 4wd trucks IFS? Hummer was a IFS design. While I agree that rock bashing or anything where you're gonna scrap terra firma, solid axles are probably best, but any high speed desert running or mud slinging, I'd probably say IFS is gonna be better then a solid axle. Pound for pound and HP for HP, a Mojave will get destroyed by a IFS front suspension truck it the desert.
Purpose built .... yes, IFS properly set up is going to be far superior in the fast desert, but when it comes to technical the solid is always going to be king. Ultra 4's are predominantly solid .... and you don't see Trophy trucks running the sames courses. I have yet to see a Bronco in anything tougher than what most stock rigs can run. Their true capability will come out once they are delivered into the hands of those that will truly put the platform to the test.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
It appears that we are both right.

You are correct that when you try to add the mid package to a Black Diamond, it forces the AT.

I am correct that when you spec out a mid package in a Badlands, it allows you to keep the MT and 4cyl.

Strange.
That makes me think it's temporary then. Can at least hope.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It could also be a bug in the configurator. You won't really know until you get a chance to convert your reservation into an order and the dealer actually keys the options into their configuration tool. Which is a different tool.

At various points I've noticed some inconsistencies. The configurator never shows a rear armrest. The real trucks get a rear arm rest with the addition of leather. (Just like the Gladiator). I didn't know that until I saw one in a recent video and asked about it.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Purpose built .... yes, IFS properly set up is going to be far superior in the fast desert, but when it comes to technical the solid is always going to be king. Ultra 4's are predominantly solid .... and you don't see Trophy trucks running the sames courses. I have yet to see a Bronco in anything tougher than what most stock rigs can run. Their true capability will come out once they are delivered into the hands of those that will truly put the platform to the test.

Obviously I'm speculating wildly, but I don't think the Bronco its going to appeal to the hard core crawlers that are likely modify things a lot. Simply because its expensive and complex to lift an IFS vehicle. At least compared to a solid axel truck.

A bronco can be optioned to run fast off road much less expensively than a jeep can. So I think the strongest appeal is there.

I'm still struggling between a Jeep and a Bronco. But one of the definite factors in the Bronco's favor is the engines. Yes, Jeep has like 6 options. But there is nothing that can compare to a tuned 2.7 turbo offered by Ford for anything near reasonable money.
(350 hp and 400 ft-lbs torque with a $500 tune).

And its not available for any money in a gladiator.

39k gets you a base with a V6 and Sasquatch. So for 40k you have a 350 hp vehicle with factory 35s and a rear locker.

Last edited:

Alligatorgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
it‘s intentional. Forcing you up trim levels, not sure why they single us gear rowers out? Maybe so they get a low take rate and can kill the manual?
Sponsored