Sponsored

Poor Confused Bronco

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you watch the video for this he hopped it twice and everything broke. Compared to the shit that people post on their sfa jeeps on bigger tires the broncos ifs is clearly significantly weaker.
If that happened. Then I agree with you. As implemented in the Bronco, its certainly less durable than a Jeep.
Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Back when the Japanese bikes started coming over, they were knocked for being cheap and un-reliable. Since Japan was a country without many natural resources, the engineers designed every thing with the minimum material necessary for the task. Mods resulted in less durability and more failures. The enginners could not fathom why anyone would want to modify their holy design. Well, because we can. I would offer that Jeep, Ford and others design for the lower end of the scale. If you want a real off road demon, bring a lot of coin. Otherwise, do not tackle any thing more stout than a parking space barrier.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Because I read the guys post. Both tie rods and a stripped rack. Every failure is an engineering problem, that's a cope out. The reality is that ifs tends to have weaker tie rods and the rack is more delicate than comparable hardware for a stick axle. You can beef up an ifs but clearly ford decided this was good enough.

If you watch the video for this he hopped it twice and everything broke. Compared to the shit that people post on their sfa jeeps on bigger tires the broncos ifs is clearly significantly weaker.
Didnā€™t you watch the introductory hype promo, that suspension can run Baja. šŸ¤«

Sponsored

Jimmymer

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Altitude, Ford Edge
If you look at the set up on Dakar Rally trucks, they all have independent suspension on all ends. Of course they donā€™t climb trails, but do all terrain at very high speeds. Does not look that anyone has solid axles anymore.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
If you look at the set up on Dakar Rally trucks, they all have independent suspension on all ends. Of course they donā€™t climb trails, but do all terrain at very high speeds. Does not look that anyone has solid axles anymore.
I bolded the relavent point. High speed washboard is a much different requirement and stressor compared to rock climbing. I'd also mention that those are custom front suspensions with significantly strengthened 1 off components, steering racks etc, not mass produced cost effective parts.

Also the truck division is all solid front and rear, the car division not so much since they're basically prototype buggies but the trucks still roll on rhem

Last edited:

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
It appears all 'Dakar Trucks' have solid front axles.
'Truck class' from the official Dakar Website
Jeep Gladiator Poor Confused Bronco t5-class

Some examples
Jeep Gladiator Poor Confused Bronco t5-1

Jeep Gladiator Poor Confused Bronco t5-6

Jeep Gladiator Poor Confused Bronco t5-2

Great video

Jimmymer

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big trucks yes, pickups like toyota hilux/tacoma not anymore. I think they swept the podium. But hey, there are nothing left from regular truck, fully racing machines. Looks like independent suspension is advantage for them.
Jeep Gladiator Poor Confused Bronco 4368F8D8-84B8-486B-B998-D2EAA2BC3C31

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Big trucks yes, pickups like toyota hilux/tacoma not anymore. I think they swept the podium. But hey, there are nothing left from regular truck, fully racing machines. Looks like independent suspension is advantage for them.
Jeep Gladiator Poor Confused Bronco 4368F8D8-84B8-486B-B998-D2EAA2BC3C31
That thing is as much Hilux as my gladiator lol. Mid engined rally truck, crazy.

Sponsored

Jimmymer

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That thing is as much Hilux as my gladiator lol. Mid engined rally truck, crazy.
I know, right? Some modified gladiators in this forum probably would do better than hiluxes in Dakar.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Will watch to see if there is more reports of this steering setup as a weak spot. At least on the JT with the weak spot as the steering knuckle you can get a cast iron one and stronger ball joints. If the Bronco is going to need a new rack and tie rods and CVs to handle big tires on big rocks, maybe Ford just built a fat pig desert runner.
My experience with R&P steering is that it's not all that strong, generally speaking. We may gripe about a recirculating ball type steering sector but it ain't gonna break very easily.

And people are totally missing the point on the original pic - it has zip, nothing, zero, to do with IFS vs. solid axles. It's the steering, not the suspension.
If a solid axle vehicle had tie rods that wimpy or a rack and pinon (which they couldn't, but if they could) the same thing would happen.
IFS has nothing to do with what happened. Steering design does.

DTJB

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
My experience with R&P steering is that it's not all that strong, generally speaking. We may gripe about a recirculating ball type steering sector but it ain't gonna break very easily.

And people are totally missing the point on the original pic - it has zip, nothing, zero, to do with IFS vs. solid axles. It's the steering, not the suspension.
If a solid axle vehicle had tie rods that wimpy or a rack and pinon (which they couldn't, but if they could) the same thing would happen.
IFS has nothing to do with what happened. Steering design does.
I donā€™t think anyone is missing the point by much... weak steering components yes, and it is related to IFS...a rack and pinion set up is only on an IFS. IFS is a great set up for many vehicles in particular scenarios, rock crawling is not its place, Drag racing isnā€™t either (for 4wd launches anyhow). Only way to get a ā€œrackā€ type of steering on a solid axle that I know of is to mount it on the axle... and at that point Iā€™m ditching the rack for a cylinder and Iā€™m stuffing an orbital somewhere. Had said operator taken the time to sleeve them it may have been saved, but that sucks they couldnā€™t get it fixed all based on some scratches.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I donā€™t think anyone is missing the point by much... weak steering components yes, and it is related to IFS...a rack and pinion set up is only on an IFS. IFS is a great set up for many vehicles in particular scenarios, rock crawling is not its place, Drag racing isnā€™t either (for 4wd launches anyhow). Only way to get a ā€œrackā€ type of steering on a solid axle that I know of is to mount it on the axle... and at that point Iā€™m ditching the rack for a cylinder and Iā€™m stuffing an orbital somewhere. Had said operator taken the time to sleeve them it may have been saved, but that sucks they couldnā€™t get it fixed all based on some scratches.
I seen some mud racers have R&P steering mounted on the axles a few years ago.
Sponsored