Sponsored

Bronco looks legit

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
it‘s intentional. Forcing you up trim levels, not sure why they single us gear rowers out? Maybe so they get a low take rate and can kill the manual?
I don't get this logic, and I've heard others accuse Jeep of this as well. If they want to kill the manual, then why offer it in the first place?
edit- Not to mention it's a pretty unique manual that they've obviously sunk some engineering into.
Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
It appears that we are both right.

You are correct that when you try to add the mid package to a Black Diamond, it forces the AT.

I am correct that when you spec out a mid package in a Badlands, it allows you to keep the MT and 4cyl.

Strange.
Good to know -- I didn't try the Badlands either. Still won't let me add the Sasquatch.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The base Bronco engine, which is the only one available with a MT happens to be more powerful by a good margin than anything that Jeep offers with a MT.

The Bronco's 2.3L 4 makes 300 hp and 325 lb-ft of torque.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't get a MT on the 4xE or the 392.

There are also established tuners that have a history of tuning the 2.3 in the Ranger that for $500 will get you up to~350 hp and 400 ft-lbs of torque, while preserving Ford's knock detection system.
I'm understanding of this -- the tranny should be a match for the output and they wanted to limit the engineering to the 4 banger. But to prevent things like 110v outlet because I want a 7-speed ... no comprendo.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I don't get this logic, and I've heard others accuse Jeep of this as well. If they want to kill the manual, then why offer it in the first place?
edit- Not to mention it's a pretty unique manual that they've obviously sunk some engineering into.
Yeah there's zero reason to kill the manual but there is a reason to discourage it... Same reason Toyota restricts configs that get the manual. Manufacturing deviations cost time and time costs money. Powertrains are installed on the main line so swapping between two combinations instead of three is a time saver.

Alligatorgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Yeah, I agree, it seems dumb. At least Jeep let me select the cold weather package as a stand alone option! I had to step up to Badlands to get just heated seats…infuriating, really.

Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I agree, it seems dumb. At least Jeep let me select the cold weather package as a stand alone option! I had to step up to Badlands to get just heated seats…infuriating, really.
Same here -- Jeep's flexibility that let me get everything I wanted and didn't force much, if anything that I didn't want is what sealed the deal for me.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
I'd seriously consider one if they had a truck version with good options and a manual transmission. But, same reason a Wrangler won't work for me, neither will the Bronco.... I just need a truck bed a couple times a week for my business, and dragging a trailer around all the dang time gets old.

But from what I've seen, the Bronco looks sweet! I'm perfectly fine with IFS, had no issues with it in my 4Runners/Tacomas/Tundras.

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Purpose built .... yes, IFS properly set up is going to be far superior in the fast desert, but when it comes to technical the solid is always going to be king. Ultra 4's are predominantly solid .... and you don't see Trophy trucks running the sames courses. I have yet to see a Bronco in anything tougher than what most stock rigs can run. Their true capability will come out once they are delivered into the hands of those that will truly put the platform to the test.
I'm in agreement for the most part with you. And there are a lot of "purpose" built rock crawlers out there that are ditching the D44's for 60's and other HI-Po solid axle's to take the pounding of the rocks. More so on the Jeep wrangler side then the JT's, but there are quite a few on here that are running 60 high pinions etc.

As everyone has stated, both have their equal time to shine and each are tuned for a specific task.

I think for what the "average" Gladiator owner uses his truck for, a IFS suspension would be a better choice. Lets face it, lots of Jeep's (whether JT's, JL's, JK's and so on) are not people who take their vehicles out every week to face places like Rubicon, Mojave, Telluride, and other difficult trails.
We here in Michigan are limited to a few ORV trail parks with some rocks, but mostly its the sand dunes at Silver lake and the awesome muddy logging roads / trails in the Upper Peninsula and Drummond Island, in which I think a IFS would outshine a solid axle setup.
Again, just my opinion.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't pretend to need all the capabilities of either in their most capable configuration.

In my perfect world there would be a Bronco pickup. Mainly because within the next 5 years we will start building our retirement home. Also, the Gladiator can tow about 7000 lbs. And I'd assume a Bronco pickup would be in the same range.

I don't love the way the Gladiator drives. Though the Mojave seems to drive the best. And unfortunately Jeep doesn't offer anything with more than ~280 hp in the Gladiator.

The Gladiator meets my needs better. The Bronco meets my wants better.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I don't pretend to need all the capabilities of either in their most capable configuration.

In my perfect world there would be a Bronco pickup. Mainly because within the next 5 years we will start building our retirement home. Also, the Gladiator can tow about 7000 lbs. And I'd assume a Bronco pickup would be in the same range.

I don't love the way the Gladiator drives. Though the Mojave seems to drive the best. And unfortunately Jeep doesn't offer anything with more than ~280 hp in the Gladiator.

The Gladiator meets my needs better. The Bronco meets my wants better.
Bronco truck is not going to tow more without significant suspension changes. The Bronco only tows 3500 lbs in all configurations. The Redesigned 23 Ranger is going to tow at least 7k it will be built next to the Bronco, and have Tremor/Raptor trims. I don’t see any motivation for Ford to make a Bronco truck anymore than an extended Bronco with the same capabilities. Purpose built to off-road and have removable top/doors with little consideration for towing/payload.

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I think for what the "average" Gladiator owner uses his truck for, a IFS suspension would be a better choice. Lets face it, lots of Jeep's (whether JT's, JL's, JK's and so on) are not people who take their vehicles out every week to face places like Rubicon, Mojave, Telluride, and other difficult trails.

Totally agree. I'd gladly jump on an IFS Gladiator as I'd be much happier(not saying i'm unhappy but the majority of my aftermarket parts have been to make it steer better) with way better on and off road habits of IFS while still taking me through anywhere short of the absolute most difficult rocking crawling around (which in Florida doesnt exist short of setup obstacle courses).

The reality is for the vast majority of us if we were REALLY in need of a SFA then you should probably just buy a wrangler because its just so much better at the kinds of things an SFA is better at. The rest of us bought the gladiator because we probably needed a truck either for towing, hauling, mall crawling, non-rock crawling off road adventures and/or overlanding (all things done the same or in most cases better with IFS). Sure some folks need a truck that rock crawls, but i'd imagine its a very very slim minority.

Alligatorgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I just got another bad news email from Ford…
More delays. Problems galore. Price protection through 2023…which is not ideal for a manufacturer! So glad I ordered my six speed Mojave to enjoy while I wait….

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco truck is not going to tow more without significant suspension changes. The Bronco only tows 3500 lbs in all configurations. The Redesigned 23 Ranger is going to tow at least 7k it will be built next to the Bronco, and have Tremor/Raptor trims. I don’t see any motivation for Ford to make a Bronco truck anymore than an extended Bronco with the same capabilities. Purpose built to off-road and have removable top/doors with little consideration for towing/payload.
Replace the words Ford, Bronco, and Ranger with Jeep, Gladiator, and Wrangler and you have EXACTLY what people were saying 3 years ago about the Gladiator.

Its simple. All the same checkboxes. Light duty pickup, convertible, removable doors.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Totally agree. I'd gladly jump on an IFS Gladiator as I'd be much happier(not saying i'm unhappy but the majority of my aftermarket parts have been to make it steer better) with way better on and off road habits of IFS while still taking me through anywhere short of the absolute most difficult rocking crawling around (which in Florida doesnt exist short of setup obstacle courses).

The reality is for the vast majority of us if we were REALLY in need of a SFA then you should probably just buy a wrangler because its just so much better at the kinds of things an SFA is better at. The rest of us bought the gladiator because we probably needed a truck either for towing, hauling, mall crawling, non-rock crawling off road adventures and/or overlanding (all things done the same or in most cases better with IFS). Sure some folks need a truck that rock crawls, but i'd imagine its a very very slim minority.
Very well said.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Replace the words Ford, Bronco, and Ranger with Jeep, Gladiator, and Wrangler and you have EXACTLY what people were saying 3 years ago about the Gladiator.

Its simple. All the same checkboxes. Light duty pickup, convertible, removable doors.
Except the Gladiator can tow and required the ram suspension to be added. Plus FCA no longer had the Dakota. The Ram is a full size on its own platform.
Sponsored