First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
The ford looks like it had a tie rod fail. That can happen on a JL... but I'd assume it's a lot easier fix on a JL.

The Red jeep looks like probably a ball joint or knuckle/shaft failure. These can happen on the IFS as well.
I may or may not have performed at least one trail fix on a broken Jeep tierod using the handle of a hi-lift jack.

Pretty common failure for any type of vehicle, especially in those conditions. Not really something I would fault Ford for, you build for the 99% and the 1% needs to upgrade.
Sponsored

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
That's just another special Bronco off-roading button. It's the 7th button on the top of the dash.

The button is labeled, "just break my steering now because, not only do I not want to learn how to off-road, but I want this Bronco to do everything for me, including breaking".

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
You all do realize that that failure has nothing to do with IFS. Right?
A steering rack failing has nothing to do with ifs? Anyone can break a tie rod, but to break both ends and strip your rack, thats ifs junk right there.

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
I'm wondering if this was the result of a jump / catching air on more than one occasion? Still a horrible failure, but anything will break if you absue it enough.

Edit: Disregard, it appears it was attempting quite the obstacle (per the previously posted link on the Bronco forum). More than I'd attempt on purpose.

c86545a8-9a8f-4680-8cdf-209d064dce30-jpeg.jpg
I may or may not have performed at least one trail fix on a broken Jeep tierod using the handle of a hi-lift jack.

Pretty common failure for any type of vehicle, especially in those conditions. Not really something I would fault Ford for, you build for the 99% and the 1% needs to upgrade.
Both you guys have hit the nail on the head.

As fun as it is to pile on a Bronco failure, this guy was really pushing it. I can't blame Ford for not having components beefy enough for this kinda obstacle.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Broken tie rods don't seem like that big of a failure to me. Fairly simple trail fix, assuming you have spares.

Edit-- if steering rack is stripped, that does indeed suck.

Edit2-- thread only seems to indicate broken tie rods. Big meh. I'd rather that go than anything else.

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Broken tie rods don't seem like that big of a failure to me. Fairly simple trail fix, assuming you have spares.

Edit2-- thread only seems to indicate broken tie rods. Big meh. I'd rather that go than anything else.
He posted his own thread after trying to go to the dealer, both rods, and rack stripped. Dealer denied with out even dissasembling because the skid plates were marked.

Here's the Owner's Thread on it: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...k-failure-on-king-of-the-hill-k2-trail.25862/

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
According to that forum all jeeps are still jk's and must be on tons to run 37's. Also jeeps are dangerously unstable above 25 mph and unable to cruise on the highway.
This could not be more true! Lol. Everyone there hates Jeeps, theyā€™re the biggest POS cars ever made and theyā€™re unsafe. Itā€™s funny as the Ford debacle rages the tides are turning on people switching To Jeeps.

Ah. By quoting you, I can also see that information in the website address too. Doh! I got banned by that site for laughing at someone so I had to skim it on my cell phone.
I got banned for a month because i told a guy he was obsessive and needed a hobby. Homie was sitting outside the Ford facility looking at parked Broncos. Posted a thread about ā€œAMA AT DIRT MOUNTAIN!ā€

Wtf you even going to answer? Not to mention thatā€™s a Reddit thing. Youā€™re just sitting on the side of the road watching a few cars drive by? Weirdos.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
This could not be more true! Lol. Everyone there hates Jeeps, theyā€™re the biggest POS cars ever made and theyā€™re unsafe. Itā€™s funny as the Ford debacle rages the tides are turning on people switching To Jeeps.

I got banned for a month because i told a guy he was obsessive and needed a hobby. Homie was sitting outside the Ford facility looking at parked Broncos. Posted a thread about ā€œAMA AT DIRT MOUNTAIN!ā€

Wtf you even going to answer? Not to mention thatā€™s a Reddit thing. Youā€™re just sitting on the side of the road watching a few cars drive by? Weirdos.
In their defense, for a long time I wanted a JK, JL and now JT (but was financially crippled) and the toxicity on some of the Jeep forums I snooped on was a big turn off.

Luckily this forum doesnā€™t seem to be full of people claiming that ā€œif you donā€™t drive an originally Willys with custom fabbed axles made with American steel that you milled and welded yourself not only do you not drive a Jeep, but you are not a manā€. It was like jeez dude, sorry for not being born in my 50ā€™s with a stable income, secured pension and a house I bought while in college working 15 hours a week at $2.50 an hour for only $25,000 on 2 acres of land before (insert any cityā€™s name) became huge and expensive.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
In their defense, for a long time I wanted a JK, JL and now JT (but was financially crippled) and the toxicity on some of the Jeep forums I snooped on was a big turn off.

Luckily this forum doesnā€™t seem to be full of people claiming that ā€œif you donā€™t drive an originally Willys with custom fabbed axles made with American steel that you milled and welded yourself not only do you not drive a Jeep, but you are not a manā€. It was like jeez dude, sorry for not being born in my 50ā€™s with a stable income, secured pension and a house I bought while in college working 15 hours a week at $2.50 an hour for only $25,000 on 2 acres of land before (insert any cityā€™s name) became huge and expensive.
That last bit is so funny and so true. I remember me and my dad were discussing that about 6 years ago. My reply was essentially the same, ā€œItā€™s easy to say get a job and buy a house when a normal job was enough to afford to live and buy a home when you were younger. Cars donā€™t cost 5K, apartments arenā€™t $300 a month and homes arenā€™t 80K anymore.ā€

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
That last bit is so funny and so true. I remember me and my dad were discussing that about 6 years ago. My reply was essentially the same, ā€œItā€™s easy to say get a job and buy a house when a normal job was enough to afford to live and buy a home when you were younger. Cars donā€™t cost 5K, apartments arenā€™t $300 a month and homes arenā€™t 80K anymore.ā€
Haha, ā€œItā€™s the avacodo toast and $4 cups of Starbucks why you canā€™t afford a $3,000 mortgageā€ -Dave Ramsey, probably

Letā€™s not get too off topic though, *beats chest* I drive Jeep, Broncos suck!

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ

Yeah a spare tie rod and CV axle were standard kit in my Tacoma. You keep the parts on hand you are most likely to break and with IFS that's just a known "when".

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Haha, ā€œItā€™s the avacodo toast and $4 cups of Starbucks why you canā€™t afford a $3,000 mortgageā€ -Dave Ramsey, probably

Letā€™s not get too off topic though, *beats chest* I drive Jeep, Broncos suck!
We will eventually own both. šŸ˜¬

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A steering rack failing has nothing to do with ifs? Anyone can break a tie rod, but to break both ends and strip your rack, thats ifs junk right there.
How do you know both ends are broken? If the steering wheel is turned hard left and the broken goes hard right you have what the picture shows.

And even if both are broken, this is either an engineering flaw in the design of the tie rods or a qc problem. Any of which could happen with a stick axle front end.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
How do you know both ends are broken? If the steering wheel is turned hard left and the broken goes hard right you have what the picture shows.

And even if both are broken, this is either an engineering flaw in the design of the tie rods or a qc problem. Any of which could happen with a stick axle front end.
Because I read the guys post. Both tie rods and a stripped rack. Every failure is an engineering problem, that's a cope out. The reality is that ifs tends to have weaker tie rods and the rack is more delicate than comparable hardware for a stick axle. You can beef up an ifs but clearly ford decided this was good enough.

If you watch the video for this he hopped it twice and everything broke. Compared to the shit that people post on their sfa jeeps on bigger tires the broncos ifs is clearly significantly weaker.
Sponsored

Last edited: