Sponsored

Bronco Truck vs Gladiator

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
The Ranger compares to the Gladiator as they're both...wait for it...pickups of similar size

The Bronco compares to the JL Wrangler because they're both...wait for it...4 doors of the same size

Bronco should be a nice trucklet with IFS if you can wait until 2022

Meanwhile I'm going to drive my Gladiator and try not to read all these Jeepers posting about the Bronco
Sponsored

Last edited:

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I really don't like Ford products. Good they make it for competition but I'd never buy one.
I had a '99 Ranger extended cab, and a '04 Dakota quad cab at the same time. The Ford felt heavier and clunkier (if that is a word) in the way it drove. It was OK, but I much preferred the Dodge.

Then once recently we rented a Ford Fusion hybrid, and was a super car to drive.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
I love my Gladiator, but if I can get that in a truck with the 2.7l ecoboost and with 35s from the factory then I’m all in. I’ll probably own one in 2-3 yrs. There are so many things that the Bronco has that I want like a removable rear panel for the roof. I’m not even remotely a Ford guy either.
Yes and with the manual transmission! That i would at least take for a test drive. But it's a long ways off. Until then i'm so in love with my JT on 37's with the manual and 4.88 gears...it will be a real easy wait lol.

If ford ever reads this. Don't do what many manufacturers do with 'enthusiast vehicles'...and that's omit the manual transmission. This is a basic concept so of course it's easily lost on many but if you're going to build enthusiast/lifestyle vehicles....always include a manual transmission. This is where most of your manual transmission drivers live...is with enthusiast/lifestyle vehicles, we love to be as engaged in the driving experience as possible. Don't eff this up.

And this competition is great, looks like Ford has solved several major Jeep things like the mirrors and panels...but also Jeep, if you're paying attention, a thick 4 cyclinder turbo with a manual transmission please. The 2.0 won't work...think Ford's 2.3 or GM's 2.7! The pentastar is a star, but the future will be with a fat turbo four gasser like those. Let's go already, i wanna drop that into my JT when i wear this pentastar out. ;)

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Don't do what many manufacturers do with 'enthusiast vehicles'...and that's omit the manual transmission. This is a basic concept so of course it's easily lost on many but if you're going to build enthusiast/lifestyle vehicles....always include a manual transmission. This is where most of your manual transmission drivers live...is with enthusiast/lifestyle vehicles, we love to be as engaged in the driving experience as possible.

...but also Jeep, if you're paying attention, a thick 4 cylinder turbo with a manual transmission please.
Yes, Yes. But I don't expect a 4 turbo with manual. It was simple to offer the MT with the V6, since that's been available on Wrangler for years. I expect the bean counters are saying "one MT offering is enough. It will cost too much to provide for other engine options with MT".

A little secret that Jeep doesn't know: If the AT was "standard", and the MT was an extra-cost option, I still would have ordered it.

Sponsored

FormerToyotaGuy

First Name
Acen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Legislative
I think a Bronco pickup would be AWESOME. But I want a 5.0 Coyote v8. I get Ford gets power out of Eco boosting little engines, and yes in 2021 you can twin turbo your lawn mower and get 400 hp I just want it from a regular old fashioned v8

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I think a Bronco pickup would be AWESOME. But I want a 5.0 Coyote v8. I get Ford gets power out of Eco boosting little engines, and yes in 2021 you can twin turbo your lawn mower and get 400 hp I just want it from a regular old fashioned v8
Buy a mustang then, that's what I did

Gladiator Girl

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Florist
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like Ford is going to try and compete with the Gladiator. To me it’s a bit of a head scratcher since it’ll pull some folks from the ranger and f150 market. I’ll stick with Jeep. Thoughts?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/exclusive-ford-bronco-pickup-coming-battle-jeep-gladiator/
I don’t think there is a true comparison. Maybe with a Jeep Wrangler 2 or 4 door. The Gladiator is in a whole different league of its own. The only truck convertible out there with all the comforts of owning a truck with so much more. Maybe Ford thought they would still the show from the Gladiator. Still no real comparison with the Gladiator.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
ya I want that with a manual transmission...apparently I want a unicorn

on a side note, I saw that Ford is offering a factory tune with full warranty for the 2.3 that brings it to 320 hp and 355 ft/lbs...so where my brain goes with that is...the new bronco gets a manual transmission with the 2.3, and if they make the bronco truck with the manual transmission and the 2.3...then I’d be keeping my fingers crossed for that tune as well, that would have had me very conflicted on which way to go had I been buying when both were available to drive and compare, I’m very drawn to the turbo for elevation and towing to have that power down low in the rpm ranges

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
It seems that Ford will have the bronco truck, the F-150, the Ranger, and something called the the Maverick. They’re scrapping all the different car types and adding more truck types.

It seems like the ranger, and maverick would get in each other’s market. But what do I know.

Sponsored

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
IMHO, some (like me) are in the niche market segment - 'Jeep guys' who wanted a pickup, so really no alternatives for me no matter what other manufs. do. I haven't heard of any 'Bronco guys', so maybe not a probable market strategy for Ford.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
It seems that Ford will have the bronco truck, the F-150, the Ranger, and something called the the Maverick. They’re scrapping all the different car types and adding more truck types.

It seems like the ranger, and maverick would get in each other’s market. But what do I know.
Yea I agree. I think the maverick is supposed to be pretty small, maybe it'll appeal to people to mod into street racing truck or something?

And they keep trying to add more off road chops to the ranger, which you think would compete with a bronco truck? Just sounds like more options than necessary to me. I guess the bronco would be the only one to take doors/roof off, but the Gladiator is still going to look a lot better. Even the broncos coming out seem a little big, width wise, to me and the four door looks really long. Maybe measurents are similar to the JLU, but just looks bulky.

PresidentGod

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Army AGR
Agree with you all saying that the Gladiator wins over the new Bronco. No matter what Ford does, they put IFS on their “competition.” Total deal breaker as far as I’m concerned. My Ford fanboy friends always come back with “you could do a solid axle swap” as if this is something anyone would want to do to a brand new vehicle.

I’ll hand it to Ford on one thing though, they did a better job of creating a new Defender than Land Rover did. My Gladiator will be my first Jeep. I’ve always been a Land Rover guy to this point, and even after owning a Defender 90 and two Defender 110s I’m going with a Gladiator now. I sold a Mercedes G500 to join the Jeep family because I couldn’t deal with the automatic anymore and refuse to pay $75k for a 25+ year old Defender 130 double cab pickup.

Data point of one here, but the Gladiator offers what I’m looking for. Live axles front and rear, four doors so the kids have room, cargo and towing capacity, and a manual transmission. The only box it doesn’t check is a 4cyl diesel with a manual trans behind it. I’m guessing I’m not alone considering where we all are on the internet right now.

I still can’t understand why no one has made a steel top with rain gutters on it for wranglers or Gladiators yet. Everyone wants a roof rack that can support a tent... I suppose that’s for a different thread though.