First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I really enjoyed my '97 Ranger and really wanted to like the new Ranger. I have a lot more problems with it than just the crummy transmission! Geeze, Ford screwed the pooch with that truck.

My JTR is even better than I hoped, and was totally worth waiting for. I can see getting a base 2 dr Bronco Sasquatch in 2-3 years when the MT is available, will be a fun commuter car. I don't mind a turbo 4 on the street.

Also if that's the same 10 speed that they use in the ranger it's complete trash and will spend all its time gear hunting.
I test drove a ranger before I bought my gladiator and the amount of shifting that transmission does is atrocious.
Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
That 10 speed is actually a great transmission. It was co-developed between Ford and GM and being used in more and more applications for both manufacturers. If it sucks in the Ranger, then Ford did a poor job with the programming.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll be honest, I’d be happier with a 4’ box and a little less wheelbase and overhang. I like the truck because it keeps cargo separate from passengers so something JLU in size with an extended cab would be the dream.
to each their own. Id be In the opposite camp. Id be disappointed if they just extended the back of a wrangler and called it a truck.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
to each their own. Id be In the opposite camp. Id be disappointed if they just extended the back of a wrangler and called it a truck.
It's more that I didn't buy this as a working truck to do tow/haul stuff, I bought it because it has more utility than an SUV and serves the purpose of keeping stanky ass gear out of the passenger compartment while I'm having fun.

If I can't haul a full sheet flat in the bed, that's not a truck I bought to haul stuff around. That's why I have a tow hitch and don't plan on giving up the max tow springs unless I can get something similar.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Really with the tailgate in the mid position hauling 4x8 material isn’t a big deal unless you need a lot of sheets

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Really with the tailgate in the mid position hauling 4x8 material isn’t a big deal unless you need a lot of sheets
Yeah it works, but it's inconvenient compared to a 6.5' box. I just meant that this is a play truck that can work in a pinch vs going the other way around. A flat sheet with the tailgate down is pretty much the minimum definition of a work truck for me because while the notch thing works, it's still a pain in the ass to load and unload and I'm not 100% trusting of that setup for drywall.

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Not exactly.

Having a crawl gear avialable in 2H or 4H is a lot more convenient than switching the transfer case from H to L.

You can still go to L and having the crawl gear on top of everything else.

It's not a 7-speed. It's a 6-speed that has an offroad-only gear. That offroad gear does the same thing Jeep does through the transfer case. So, the Ford has nothing the Jeep doesn't have.

Odds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Wrangler
I ponder if the Bronco truck will replace the Ranger, or become the Bronco Ranger.

Ford didn't want to bring the Ranger back fearing it would only take sales away from their more profitable full size trucks. But they kind of had to since GM brought back their midsize trucks.

But if the Ranger becomes a lifestyle truck, where profits are much higher, they could have a midsize offering and make a boatload of money as well.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I ponder if the Bronco truck will replace the Ranger, or become the Bronco Ranger.

Ford didn't want to bring the Ranger back fearing it would only take sales away from their more profitable full size trucks. But they kind of had to since GM brought back their midsize trucks.

But if the Ranger becomes a lifestyle truck, where profits are much higher, they could have a midsize offering and make a boatload of money as well.
Personally, I think Ford missed an opportunity.

Instead of mid-sizing Ranger, they should have kept it compact size, and instead introduced a new mid-size called F100. Styling would have evoked (not copied) the styling of an earlier era (take your pick which one).

This would hark back to the golden age (supposedly) of American automobiles, and by using the old F100 name, would obviously position it size-wise just below F150.

It would have been good for sales, at least for a while, until Boomers (who are big on nostalgia) get too old to care.

However, since the retro T-bird did not exactly set sales records, I can understand why Ford did not consult with me on this.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Yeah it works, but it's inconvenient compared to a 6.5' box. I just meant that this is a play truck that can work in a pinch vs going the other way around. A flat sheet with the tailgate down is pretty much the minimum definition of a work truck for me because while the notch thing works, it's still a pain in the ass to load and unload and I'm not 100% trusting of that setup for drywall.
Agree 100%

Sponsored

arosen1997

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LAV Turret Technician
That 10 speed is actually a great transmission. It was co-developed between Ford and GM and being used in more and more applications for both manufacturers. If it sucks in the Ranger, then Ford did a poor job with the programming.
Really? I absolutely hated it

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Personally, I think Ford missed an opportunity.

Instead of mid-sizing Ranger, they should have kept it compact size, and instead introduced a new mid-size called F100. Styling would have evoked (not copied) the styling of an earlier era (take your pick which one).

This would hark back to the golden age (supposedly) of American automobiles, and by using the old F100 name, would obviously position it size-wise just below F150.

It would have been good for sales, at least for a while, until Boomers (who are big on nostalgia) get too old to care.

However, since the retro T-bird did not exactly set sales records, I can understand why Ford did not consult with me on this.
They're doing an entirely new truck based on I believe the focus/escape platform that will be a compact unibody pickup. There's no way to get a true body on frame compact to be viable because CAFE ratings are based on vehicle footprint and the compact footprint means the truck would need to get something insane like 35mpg. Pretty much stuck with a unibody FWD/AWD to hit that mark.

Plus the Ranger has still been the Ranger overseas so it wouldn't make much sense to have a smaller version here.