Sponsored

Build and Price is up on Jeep.com!!!! (minus the price part)

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I too will say that if Jeep overprices this then I will also have to take my business and my hard earned money elsewhere. For Jeep to say that it will be intentionaly expensive is an astounding statement. To me it just says that they want to rape people of their money. Will just have to sit back and see how they price it before I even think of getting one. As Clint Eastwood would say; Go ahead, make my day.
Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
The flaw in this "longer body, more materials" argument is that the cost of these vehicles isn't based on how much metal is used... it will cost them much less than 40k in materials to make any of these. There will be different audiences for each vehicle, and an established cost expectation in those groups. The cost of the JT will be less dependent on the JL and moreso a result of the other vehicles in this class.
Except Jeep will say there are no other vehicles in this class, the closest being the JL. As an example of this, many posters have argued that a 4 Runner TRD Pro is $5-8000 less than a comparably equipped JL, only for others to point out that there is no such thing as a comparably priced JL/4 Runner.
I, for one, am between the JL and the JT. As the JT is essentially a JL with more "real world" capability (ie towing/hauling/open bed), it has a greater inherent value to me (and, I believe, most cross shoppers). If the JT were to come in anywhere close to the JL in price point while offering much more real world value, I would have no choice but to purchase the JT over the JL. True, FCA is still getting my sale, but at a much lower profit margin than they would on the JL, which costs less to manufacture (where the lower cost of fewer materials for a smaller vehicle, in addition to less heavy duty materials comes into play). FCA would end up competing with themselves to sell me a vehicle on which they will make less money, so to say the JL pricing is less significant than other "competitors", of which FCA believes the JT has none, may be erroneous. If this were a Taco-Colorado-Ranger discussion, I would say you are absolutely correct. But the JT being touted as a class unto itself and a lifestyle vehicle says to me that FCA will be less concerned about the external competition and will price it well above the JL to keep demand down to 100k vehicles a year and protect the JL's sales goals of 250k per year, while still maximizing profit. I feel the "sweet spot" for this, at least in the eyes of FCA, is around 8-10% more than the JL, so a loaded JT Rubicon with the upcoming diesel ($2-3000 upgrade) could easily push mid $60's, as it will be able to do everything the JL can do, short of hard-core crawling, and many things the JL cannot do in terms of work/utility.
That will most certainly come at a premium, and that premium will be designed to make the JT more exclusive, not more competitive.

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass Limited, Audi Q8
If you don't get the premium steel winch bumper on the Rubicon - what is the standard front bumper. Is it still steel just not with the removable ends and winch ready mounting?

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
If you don't get the premium steel winch bumper on the Rubicon - what is the standard front bumper. Is it still steel just not with the removable ends and winch ready mounting?
Its plastic with red tow hooks and silver trim.

Sponsored

Bodya

First Name
Bodya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 tacoma
I don't understand why everybody thinks the pickup is going to be more expensive than the jl....as it was states earlier the 4runner is more expensive than the tacoma. Suvs tend to be more expensive...my 2 cents anyway. (And wishful thinking). All we can do now is speculate...but the closer the price to the competition the more these things will sell.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
I don't understand why everybody thinks the pickup is going to be more expensive than the jl....as it was states earlier the 4runner is more expensive than the tacoma. Suvs tend to be more expensive...my 2 cents anyway. (And wishful thinking). All we can do now is speculate...but the closer the price to the competition the more these things will sell.
Apples-to-kumquats. The 4 Runner has stuff you just can't get on a Taco, plus, it is a far more modern vehicle. The JL and the JT are virtually identical except for the JT's superior towing and hauling abilities due to a beefier chassis and other heavier-duty components. More utility+greater capability=more money. If they wind up being comparably priced, a lot of JL owners will be kicking themselves for not waiting for 7600+ lbs of towing capacity, and a lot of potential JL buyers won't be because they'll be JT buyers instead, and that's what FCA wants to avoid.

Bodya

First Name
Bodya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 tacoma
Apples-to-kumquats. The 4 Runner has stuff you just can't get on a Taco, plus, it is a far more modern vehicle. The JL and the JT are virtually identical except for the JT's superior towing and hauling abilities due to a beefier chassis and other heavier-duty components. More utility+greater capability=more money. If they wind up being comparably priced, a lot of JL owners will be kicking themselves for not waiting for 7600+ lbs of towing capacity, and a lot of potential JL buyers won't be because they'll be JT buyers instead, and that's what FCA wants to avoid.
Perhaps...but once you get into 60k price range you can get a nice full size truck for that kinda money, which is a great "lifestyle truck". Its comfy and will haul all your toys. But hey...Jeep must know what theyre doing considering how successful the jl is.

beerbrewer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram; 2014 T&C
A JLU Sahara with options I want lists for $54,100 US; I am guessing a similar equipped Gladiator Overland will list for an additional $2500.

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
A JLU Sahara with options I want lists for $54,100 US; I am guessing a similar equipped Gladiator Overland will list for an additional $2500.
The difference between a JL and JLU is $3500. Thats what I hope the price difference between a JLU and JT will be. That would make the JT start at 35k. A overland would start at 41k and a rubicon would start at 45k.
Fingers crossed that will be the pricing model (or anything below).
Let me just say: I plan on buying the sport, and if a gladiator sport starts at more than 37k then I will not buy it. I am not made of money jeep! and neither are most other people!

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I also think that Jeep thinks that everyone is made of money, especially after they made the astounding statement that they would make it intentionally expensive. Perhaps a good reason to boycott them for 6 months and just let these trucks just sit on lots unsold. Punish them for making such a statement.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I could see Jeep thinking "Well the JT costs 10% less than the Brute 4Dr so what y'all bitching about? We can stretch your payments to 8 years - what would you like your monthly payment to be?" LOL (not)

WarHawk18

First Name
Raif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ, Cherokee Trailhawk, Gen 2 Raptor, ordered JLU Rubicon Diesel
It does change based on exterior color, good call. Little disappointed, I think red would be ok with Gator. I mean you still have red stitching, tow hooks, decals, and diff lock levers. I think the dash tied it all together. I would probably skip it on the orange.

Well I really need to see Gator in person. Dash is not a deal breaker but over the last year I really warmed up to the red dash.
Yeah but that being said the desert tan one in the LA Auto Show had the Red dash and in the builder when you select that exterior color it changes to that grey. I hope that will change once it’s fully up and running.

DamonC64

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon
Here is what I'm waiting for. Will get the 2" lift and put my wheels and 37s.

untitled2.png

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
I also think that Jeep thinks that everyone is made of money, especially after they made the astounding statement that they would make it intentionally expensive. Perhaps a good reason to boycott them for 6 months and just let these trucks just sit on lots unsold. Punish them for making such a statement.
Remember it was Marchionne who said that years ago, everything is different now. He also said there would only be 2 trim levels of the JT as well and we already see that this is wrong. We need to wait and see what they do but I think everything has changed now
Sponsored

Last edited: