Building 3.6 with forged internals

Tbanks

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Since I have not seen any built 3.6L motors on a Jeep. I decided to build mine since I run Magnuson and want to try to get 450-500whp.

Jeep is in the shop now getting engine redone. I should have it back in the next 30-45 days.

Purchased from
https://www.modernmusclextreme.com/p-1713-36l-v6-pentastar-forged-piston-and-rod-kit.aspxAlso got a brand new balanced crankshaft w\ help of @DAVECS1 tune

Engine Buiders:
MJM Engines ( Mike )
Website
Address: 222 N Vinewood St, Escondido, CA 92029
Phone: (760) 745-4104

Jeep Gladiator Building 3.6 with forged internals unnamed (2)
Sponsored

Last edited:

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hell yea!! keep us posted on progress!

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
Looking forward to the results! Bravo 👏

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Thanks for posting, looking forward to the results as well!

Curious about your thoughts on the cam/upper end? Any concerns there with this? I was under the impression that's the weakest link and why Dave ultimately gave up? I could be completely wrong or less read, would love to hear more!

Definitely keep us posted! AWESOME project!

Sponsored

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
what are you doing to improve the lifters and rockers to eliminate risk of failure? I'd like to fix those permanently. I installed the SC on mine right after I had warranty service for rocker/lifters/intake cam at 58,000 miles.

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
Great work! I am trying to decide what to do with mine. I will be selling my maggie supercharged JT which is ticking. I can't sell it with issues so I am contemplating an engine swap with a reman or take-out (new motors are backordered with no ETA) or rebuilding the existing motor. There's no noise from the bottom end but the idea of making it bulletproof is interesting.

OP
OP
Tbanks

Tbanks

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
The machine shop out here has been busy, my Jeep finally gets built on March 20th so hopefully by end of March early April I will have it back and running with built motor. I replaced all rockers/lifters and cams - forged pistons and rods and a new balanced crankshaft. Let's see how this goes.

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
are the lifters custom or OEM? My concern (because I'm about to do the same) is a lifter collapsing resulting in valve tap which then leads to things slapping around creating metal debris on an engine I just spent a lot of money on to build. I have not found any good aftermarket lifters, only OEM

OP
OP
Tbanks

Tbanks

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
The usual issues is rockers going bad. That is why I changed out to lastest version of rockers, all new cams as well. If it goes bad than Ill just start over and try again.

Sponsored

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
While I would NEVER put a super charger on a stock 3.6, properly building one with lower compression I would great enjoy. I hope upgraded valve train components where included

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
While I would NEVER put a super charger on a stock 3.6, properly building one with lower compression I would great enjoy. I hope upgraded valve train components where included
cmopression is fine for the 7.5lbs of boost from the magnuson charger I installed. I had the valve tap issue just before installing the SC and had that fixed while still underwarrany. There's enough of a systems feedback and control loop that allow the engine to run with some boost. A lot of engines that are twin turbo have around 10:1 compression. Look at the Ford 3.5L for example, compression ranges from 10-10.5:1 and 11-15 psi of boost. But in order to do this successfuly the systems and controls are much more advanced than 15 years ago, or since 1990 when my old XJ was born with the AMC 4.0l lol

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
cmopression is fine for the 7.5lbs of boost from the magnuson charger I installed. I had the valve tap issue just before installing the SC and had that fixed while still underwarrany. There's enough of a systems feedback and control loop that allow the engine to run with some boost. A lot of engines that are twin turbo have around 10:1 compression. Look at the Ford 3.5L for example, compression ranges from 10-10.5:1 and 11-15 psi of boost. But in order to do this successfuly the systems and controls are much more advanced than 15 years ago, or since 1990 when my old XJ was born with the AMC 4.0l lol
Except these arent the old 3.6s. They are the updated ones, with 11.3:1 on an engine not built for any boost. With the new 3.0 and 3.0 HO running 10.4:1 and 9.5:1 respecfully. 2 things that would be amust for boost for ME, just saying ME, would by 9.5:1 to 10:1 conpression, and EGR delete. Do you keep EGR with the charger kit you got?

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
well hot damn, thanks for pointing that out. I didnt realize the compression bumped up from 10.2 to 11.3. I totally see your point on wanting the lower correction.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
well hot damn, thanks for pointing that out. I didnt realize the compression bumped up from 10.2 to 11.3. I totally see your point on wanting the lower correction.
Note thats why there was wayyyyy less failures on JKs with super chargers conpared to JL/JTs
Sponsored