Sponsored

BuiltRight Industries Bedside Racks - Any Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABNL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
@BuiltRight

Is there a chance, that you will be manufacturing the Hi Lift Jack Mounts that you were testing in this vid?

I may have missed discussion on this elsewhere, and I do have the 4XRAC mounts that indeed chew up a lot of real estate on the Bedside Racks. I'm very impressed with the design and finish quality of what you've already brought to the table, and am looking forward to what you have in store.
Sponsored

rubi14

First Name
frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ-7 Laredo, 1982 CJ-7 "The Texan", 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
shop owner
So I made a set of these for my own truck recently and posted in my build thread. I got enough interest via reply and PM that I thought I should start this thread separately, to discuss bringing these to market and hopefully get some feedback from the community regarding features and such.

Jeep Gladiator BuiltRight Industries Bedside Racks - Any Interest? {filename}

Introduction:

First, a little background. I originally designed the Bedside Rack System for use in my own F-150. I was needing to load/carry/unload full pallets of product but didn't want to unload the gear I was using in the truck on the weekend. The unused space above the wheel wells was a perfect fit for most of that stuff, so I designed a set of panels and began manufacturing them.

It really picked up some steam quickly and I ended up winning the SEMA Launch Pad competition last year with the product.

Anyhow, our business still revolves around the Ford platform, but I recently bought my JT as a new daily driver and am really loving it. I've been tinkering with it after-hours but if there's enough interest in these panels, I'd really like to manufacture them and add the JT to our list of supported platforms.

To get to that point, though, I'd really value feedback from you guys regarding what attachments will be useful and how the panels can best interface with the truck.

Purpose:

The purpose is to make the space above the rear wheel wells useful by providing a modular mounting surface that gear, tools and accessories can be attached to. My proposed requirements include:

1. Must be bolt-on and require no permanent modification to the truck
  2. Must be strong enough to support equipment like a hilift jack or 3gal gas can
  3. Must hit the $300ish price point for a set of four panels
  4. Must have an OEM-like fit and finish
  5. ?

I Need Your Help!

Here's where you guys come in. I want to be sure that panels don't just work for my uses, but for yours as well. Below are a couple items that would be helpful in refining my existing custom set (which I just made for myself) into a more complete product.

1. Should we mount to the trail rail system or below it? Mounting to it simplifies installation, but does it occupy the rail space unnecessarily? If we mount below the rail, so we prevent fixed-width accessories from fitting by effectively moving the rails closer together?
  2. What accessories or gear would you be wanting to mount? Typical things are hilift jack, axe, shovel, tow straps, rotopax cans, fire extinguisher and so on. We have solution for all of those items, but is there anything else I'm missing?
  3. Should we make a panel to fit across the front of the bed as well?
  4. ?

Timing, Pricing, etc:

I really want this thread to be technical in nature but at some point, we'll begin taking payment and shipping these. In order to get to that point, I'm going to keep a list of users that are interested in a set of these, so that we can get an idea of how many people might be interested if we do a run of them. I think I'll do that in the next post. The more people we can get interested, the lower we can get the pricing. As we narrow in on a design, we can nail down pricing. That said, our existing kits are around $300 and I'd like to keep these around that. I base pricing very strictly on actual cost to manufacture, so it's just a matter of give and take.

As far as timing is concerned, once we've got some of these design issues sorted out, we'll run some more prototypes and maybe work with a couple members to do some testing and evaluation. I'd like to have that phase of the project complete in the next three weeks so that we can be shipping completed kits in early August.

Thoughts? Interest? I'd love your feedback! In any case, thanks for welcoming me into this great group!

Matt
I wanted a set of these, got on the list in March, neve rheard back on what I was suppose to do, now I get on website you are sold out, how long before you will have product again? Thanks Frank

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
@BuiltRight I'm interested in these as well, I see the list of available mods on your website and I'm curious.... are each of the panels capable of holding a 3 gal rotopax (as you originally stated as a specification) or just 2 gal? I noticed you are selling the 2 gal size on your site, so figured there must be a reason for that.

DaveFrat

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Driver
Misc Photos from Design and Development

I threw together an embarrassingly rough 3D model of the contours in the bed and got to work after work one night last week. My JT doesnt have the trail rail system (although I pre-ordered the mopar kit, which will hopefully arrive soon) so I made them interface with the threaded features in the bed. Once I've got the rails, I'll revise and maybe make some adapters so they'll work for both. Anyway, to verify my model, I cut a test panel from thin aluminum and bent it up.

Made a couple of quick adjustments and frantically sketched up a full panel to test out. From there, I 'flatten' the part in CAD, export a DXF file and bring it into a program called sheetcam, where I can generate the gcode for the plasma table. In this case, we're cutting the prototypes from 11ga mild steel.

Then into a program called commandcnc, which is what actually drives the table. As you can see, I decided to live a little and cut driver and passenger side simultaneously.

Lots of cut time on the plasma table, but it went smoothly. My table has automatic torch height control, so as the plate deforms with the heat of cutting, the torch head maintains a proper distance and keeps the cut clean.

I didn't snap a picture of the least pleasant part, which is deburring the parts and cleaning them up, but these cut pretty well, so it didn't take much. Went ahead and bent them up using our little SWAG offroad finger break. This picture shows the cut quality we're getting from this Starlab table - pretty impressive for a plasma cutter.

Finally, shot it with some paint and let it cook in the driveway before installing.

I finished the other side as well as some front panels and got them installed and attached some gear. I'll put some miles on them to make sure everything is good, but I'm super, super happy with how they turned out. This post juuuust might be the unofficial introduction of our first product for the JT platform. I'm excited to revise them for the trail rail system and refine the lower mounting point a bit, but for a first revision, these are super close. I took some 'installed' photos this afternoon, so I'll pull those off of my camera tonight.

Update: Those installed photos as promised

On the driver's side, I've got a fire extinguisher and my Krazy Beaver Tools shovel, secured using a pair of our Riser Mounts.

On the Passenger's side, I've got a pair of our Super Clamp Riser Mounts securing a tie down strap and our Rotopax Adapter Bracket along with a Rotopax mount and gear can.
Very interested. Both sides and from would be awesome for $300 ish! I would prefer not to use the rail system. Make them happen and you will have one heck of a sale of them.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@BuiltRight is there a reason why the bundle with all 4 side panels is $325 versus the total for all 4 panels separately is $320?

Curious if that $5 more is for extra hardware or something since generally bundling would normally give you a bit of a discount.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
@BuiltRight — for those that have the hard Tri fold tonneau covers there are drain hoses that go to the front of the box. Do you have an option to get the front panels with cut outs that allow for these hoses? I’d hate to try to cut and repaint the panels if I don’t have to. Any options here?

(Photo posted by @N6WT in the thread here https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/factory-hard-tonneau-cover-hose-what-is-it.25736/)
My concern as well but didn't see an answer. Not going to purchase unless I know they would fit and work with the drain hoses

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
@BuiltRight I'm interested in these as well. . .
I see several companies making rigid MOLLE panels out of stamped steel or aluminum. They all seem to have similar rectangular holes in them.

My question is, what is a source for clamps that fit in the holes so I don't have to drill and screw.

I apologize if this has been answered before.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I see several companies making rigid MOLLE panels out of stamped steel or aluminum. They all seem to have similar rectangular holes in them.

My question is, what is a source for clamps that fit in the holes so I don't have to drill and screw.

I apologize if this has been answered before.
Don't know never got any response from Builtright left some messages. When I get around to putting that into the truck will probably go with the trail rail system and find some side panels that will secure into that and maybe one like was posted in for the front that has the ability accommodate the drain tubes
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.