Sponsored

BuiltRight vs Mopar bed rails

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
BuiltRight for sure as someone who bought the Mopar rails. I hate the fact any accessory has to come in from the end (though Wilco's nuts can be inserted through the face) and you can't even install the factory tie-downs without coming from the end like Toyota can.

Only reason I went this route is because I wasn't sure BuiltRight would work with my RLD canopy but seeing it now, it'll work with any rail system that protrudes past the inner edge of the bed rail cap.
Sponsored

bhadfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Haven't ever used the Mopar bed rails so can't comment on them but really happy with the BuiltRight rails.

Jeep Gladiator BuiltRight vs Mopar bed rails 20200822_152222
Jeep Gladiator BuiltRight vs Mopar bed rails 20200823_113835

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
To be honest I wasn't worried. Mine is a truck, not a show vehicle. Not one person has said "hey thre is no cap" lol

MarcusB

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
As another option, Rebel Off Road also makes bed rails for Gladiators. I'm happy with their bed rail system that came as part of the Xplor rack.

Sponsored

Mayhem 6

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR; 2020 JLUR; 2015 JKW; 2016 JKUR (Sold); 2014 JKSS (Sold); 2008 JKUR (Sold)
Went with the Mopar rails, but honestly, the BuiltRight ones will have more options with the unistrut options. Mopar will sit a bit more flush with the bed rails, but they’re close. I went with the Mopar rails for the sole purpose of got a quick good deal on them and wanted them flush for the Artec cargo rails.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Unistrut, Kindorf, B-Line all make spacers basically a 2x2 square washer at least 1/4” thick, vatious holes from 1/4” to 1/2”using a standard thickness unistrut and spacing out thickness needed for cap or rack brackets is really easy and what ever you are using for tie downs would also be a bit farther recessed under the edge. I’m probably going with a strut and when my RSI cap comes in might make brackets to fit ibstead of using clamps.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I don't have the Gladiator yet, but have my softopper... I got it off Craigslist and have mounts to use it with the mopar bedrail system. Reading above, it sounds like the BuildRight rails would still work with the Softopper clamps... has anyone confirmed that a topper with Mopar Rail Clamps works with BuiltRight rails?

OP
OP

NOCOJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I don't have the Gladiator yet, but have my softopper... I got it off Craigslist and have mounts to use it with the mopar bedrail system. Reading above, it sounds like the BuildRight rails would still work with the Softopper clamps... has anyone confirmed that a topper with Mopar Rail Clamps works with BuiltRight rails?
OP here. I got the BuiltRight rails and just installed a SofTopper this past weekend. The supplied clamps worked flawlessly with the BuiltRights.

These were the clamps I received:
https://www.softopper.com/accessories-parts/steel-bedrail-softopper-utility-clamps

Last edited:

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
OP here. I got the BuiltRight rails and just installed a SofTopper this past weekend. The supplied clamps worked flawlessly with the BuiltRights.

These were the clamps I received:
https://www.softopper.com/accessories-parts/steel-bedrail-softopper-utility-clamps
Those are the clamps I got, perfect! Though I see I can get the Mopar rails for $273 + $24 shipping, and more importantly have them here by the end of the week. But now I know I have either option.

Oh wait, no they're not... your link is for the bedrail, mine are specifically for the Mopar rails. It's a niggling detail but since I'd have to toss these and buy a new set that's basically making the Mopar rails "$24 cheaper" for my purposes. =oP

Last edited:

Sponsored

phranican

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 YJ4.0l, '20 Telluride SX, '21JTR
I explored the builtright site but did not see gladiator bed rails. Mind sharing the link?

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I explored the builtright site but did not see gladiator bed rails. Mind sharing the link?
BuiltRight Utility Rail system - $230 + $28 shipping
Mopar Trail Rail kit - $273 + $25 shipping

I went ahead and ordered the Mopar rails since they come with 4 tie-down mounts as well. It looks like it's about $45 to build your own set of 4 eye bolts (from what I've seen) so at this point, its a zero sum game.

I'm curious if I could create unistrut/builtright fasteners that fit in the Mopar system.

OP
OP

NOCOJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Those are the clamps I got, perfect! Though I see I can get the Mopar rails for $273 + $24 shipping, and more importantly have them here by the end of the week. But now I know I have either option.

Oh wait, no they're not... your link is for the bedrail, mine are specifically for the Mopar rails. It's a niggling detail but since I'd have to toss these and buy a new set that's basically making the Mopar rails "$24 cheaper" for my purposes. =oP
If you mean you have these kind, they should also work, the bed rail attachment is the same:
https://www.softopper.com/accessories-parts/utility-track-softopper-clamps

Coyotesong

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I went to Home depot and booght a 12' chunk of unistrut, cut drilled, painted and installed. $50 done. Granted dont have the fancy end cap like builtright but he didn't have it out when i did mine.
Did you use the 14 ga or 12 ga strut?

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
OK in my gut I knew the mopar rail kit for $300 was way too much for three u-channels(but to be fair to Mopar I knew the Jeep costs too much but I went ahead and bought it away) so I had already discovered L-channel before I found this thread. The unistrut stuff is soo cheap it's worth a try( and I was just in the hd this afternoon oh well maybe tomorrow).

To those using it what are you using for tiedowns?
Sponsored