OP

JD101

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon , 2021 JLU
That is honestly the first time I’ve ever heard that in my life. But then again I never heard anyone call a soda a “pop”, a burger a “grinder”, or a sub a “hoagie” till I left the east coast either…
I'm in Mi and I thought a grinder was a loose burger sandwich of sorts . IDK .
Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The 2.0L in my opinion is a more sime engine with higher reliability and much more ability to male power when needed. I wish it was an option in the Gladiator, there are a ton of upgrades to mke it tow worthy. It is very accepting of coolers for oil and coolant.

The latestest 3.6L with the variable lift, in my opinion is a bit of flop. Ot has not been considered for modern lubrication and the diagnostics on it are non-existent. I will go out on a limb and say 20% of jeep owners are running around with some level of valvetrain damage and don't even know it.

I have driven the 2.0L and my wife has the 4xe. Both are solid performing power plants, I would trust in a tuff spot long before the latest pentastar.

My 2 cents

UnforseenWeather

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave
Occupation
Creative Guy
First , why couldn't Jeep at least put a proper dedicated front clip on the Gladiator? For all the waiting we did it really sucks to call it a Gladiator and have no real distinguishing factor from a wrangler when viewed from the front . It would have been cool to see a variation of the CDR or innovative auto front clip . Even a later model throw back would be nice .

Second , why do I keep coming across haters of the 2.0t in the JL ( I know it's not offered in the Gladiator ) . It's is a pretty strong running little engine , and murders my 3.6 . I get a ton of comments on how it's not suitable and doesn't make power , but have these folks actually driven a 2.0. I've had both and just want to clear the air . From a power perspective the 2.0 rips .
Personally I like that it’s Wrangler up front, truck in the back. That’s actually what I love about it. I wanted a Wrangler but needed a truck again. Voila!

I can’t comment on the 2.0, never drove one. Sounds awesome but does it require premium gas?

Timoleon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Tech
I like the Gladiator the way it is. I have both the Wrangler (22 JL with the 4 cyl) and the Gladiator. They both look great.

As for the 4 cyl, I was very surprised in the performance on the road. I haven't even taken it on the dirt yet. It is after all for the wife and she would have a cow if I brought it back with desert pinstriping (it is a snazzberry). I don't think I would want it in the Gladiator. I like my pickup truck to have pickup with a load....

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I'm fine with the design. I just wish they'd named it something else.

Wrambler, maybe ;)

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I like that the JT looks like the JL, it's 1 of the big things that drew me to it. I also thinks it makes a lot of sense to have them look similar and share pretty much everything forward of the rear of the cab.

I hadn't driven the 2L before a few months ago but when I did I was really surprised at how peppy and nice it was. I drove it in the 4xe (not sure I count this considering the electric motors) and a JLU and a JL. I have to say it's a great little engine and if the Pentastar works well in the JT I don't see why the 2L wouldn't.

I was biased against 4 cyl engines for a while because I drove non-turbo'd ones and they were weak and loud. So for my last car before my JT I made sure to get a 6cyl as well. I do like how "reliable" the Pentastar is but that also makes it underpowered for what it is. It does fine, but nothing better.

I loved the experience in the 2 door with the 2L so much that I've got an order in for 1 right now in Gobi :D More power AND better mileage? Yes please!

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I have over 269,000 miles on an XJ with that I6. It’s simple and easy to work on. Just not a modern motor anymore. However it’s been a great back up vehicle.
Only the good ones lasted. The fact that they are reliable is skewed. They had a good engine design for longevity, but Chrysler quality control was awful back then and they were known to fail. I’ve never out of twenty something vehicles I’ve owned, had an engine fail.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I like that the JT looks like the JL, it's 1 of the big things that drew me to it. I also thinks it makes a lot of sense to have them look similar and share pretty much everything forward of the rear of the cab.

I hadn't driven the 2L before a few months ago but when I did I was really surprised at how peppy and nice it was. I drove it in the 4xe (not sure I count this considering the electric motors) and a JLU and a JL. I have to say it's a great little engine and if the Pentastar works well in the JT I don't see why the 2L wouldn't.

I was biased against 4 cyl engines for a while because I drove non-turbo'd ones and they were weak and loud. So for my last car before my JT I made sure to get a 6cyl as well. I do like how "reliable" the Pentastar is but that also makes it underpowered for what it is. It does fine, but nothing better.

I loved the experience in the 2 door with the 2L so much that I've got an order in for 1 right now in Gobi :D More power AND better mileage? Yes please!
My 2.0T Audis hit maximum torque at 1500 RPM. The torque curve was flat. It was crazy. i can’t see how the 2.0T could be great for off roading and towing.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
My 2.0T Audis hit maximum torque at 1500 RPM. The torque curve was flat. It was crazy. i can’t see how the 2.0T could be great for off roading and towing.
Dunno, haven't seen anyone complain about them offroad yet. I guess I'll mention I don't plan on doing anything extreme.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There's another reason the Gladiator shares many front components and designs with the Wrangler - crash testing, certifications, etc. Anything they change they have to go "back to the drawing board".
Remember, the engineers dealing with maximizing the towing ability while keeping the engine cool were not allowed to change the radiator support area and certain other aspect - they can't redesign the front for a larger radiator without affecting the testing it's already gone through and that testing isn't cheap, and it takes time. They don't design, build, test, all in the same week.
To make the front much different, even in appearance, requires some engineering for crash worthiness, etc.

I’ve never out of twenty something vehicles I’ve owned, had an engine fail.
I've never had an engine failure. Not in anything I've driven, not in any engines I've built.
I've had a lot of 4.0s, and since it's an AMC design, there are countless AMC people who have put the 4.0 in their cars (me, among them). The 90s 4.0 were extremely reliable. I have to say that other than an oil leak, our WJs with the 4.0 had no issues - my last one I sold with 128,000 miles and once the oil pan gasket was replaced, there were no leaks, it simply started and ran great, even in sub-0 weather.
Odd that there's talk of the 4.0 and reliability issues as I've never heard that before, not until this forum, not even on the other Jeep forums.
I have a 1980 Concord with a 1996 4.0 and my 82 SX4 with a 1994 4.0 and probably 5 others over the years in Jeeps, no issues.
They share many of the same parts internally with the 258 including rod and main bearings.

Maybe it was the electronics that were the issues, the hardware I've never seen fail without abuse, but the electronics, I can imagine being problematic..............

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
There's another reason the Gladiator shares many front components and designs with the Wrangler - crash testing, certifications, etc. Anything they change they have to go "back to the drawing board".
Remember, the engineers dealing with maximizing the towing ability while keeping the engine cool were not allowed to change the radiator support area and certain other aspect - they can't redesign the front for a larger radiator without affecting the testing it's already gone through and that testing isn't cheap, and it takes time. They don't design, build, test, all in the same week.
To make the front much different, even in appearance, requires some engineering for crash worthiness, etc.

I've never had an engine failure. Not in anything I've driven, not in any engines I've built.
I've had a lot of 4.0s, and since it's an AMC design, there are countless AMC people who have put the 4.0 in their cars (me, among them). The 90s 4.0 were extremely reliable. I have to say that other than an oil leak, our WJs with the 4.0 had no issues - my last one I sold with 128,000 miles and once the oil pan gasket was replaced, there were no leaks, it simply started and ran great, even in sub-0 weather.
Odd that there's talk of the 4.0 and reliability issues as I've never heard that before, not until this forum, not even on the other Jeep forums.
I have a 1980 Concord with a 1996 4.0 and my 82 SX4 with a 1994 4.0 and probably 5 others over the years in Jeeps, no issues.
They share many of the same parts internally with the 258 including rod and main bearings.

Maybe it was the electronics that were the issues, the hardware I've never seen fail without abuse, but the electronics, I can imagine being problematic..............
I feel the same. So many miles on mine and the motor keeps chugging. My XJ probably doesn't have a single original sensor but the trans and motor have not needed anything outside of fluid and filter changes.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Lots of turbo experience here. 1991 Audi 200, 1995.5 URS6, 2001 TT, 1998 B5 Passat.

Never drove the 2.0. But wonder how it would wheel in some of the more dicey rock crawling situations.

General experience is that one boost comes on...hold on.
I like the NA approach to wheeling.

Sponsored