Sponsored

Carrying gas cans

Gladiator Brad 704

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I have 2 of the Wavian metal cans strapped standing up in the bed with a soft bed topper. I have sometimes traveled with them lying on their side. Never smelled gas at all in the covered top, winter or the hot SC summer. They were difficult to get for me and expensive around $85 each. But well worth it . Don't waste your money on the cheap look-a-like cans they just are not the quality.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I have 2 of the Wavian metal cans strapped standing up in the bed with a soft bed topper. I have sometimes traveled with them lying on their side. Never smelled gas at all in the covered top, winter or the hot SC summer. They were difficult to get for me and expensive around $85 each. But well worth it . Don't waste your money on the cheap look-a-like cans they just are not the quality.
I think I'm finally leaning towards the Wavian cans. As much as I love the idea of the super durable plastic Scepter cans, I don't want to deal with them swelling in a mount.

I'm eventually gonna convert my utility trailer and mount them on the fenders...

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I asked about this last year as we took a 6000 miles trip around the US. In the end I bit the bullet and grabbed 2 Wavian cans. I did upgrade the nozzle. I have a trail rail system made from unistrut with a soft cover. The stood up right next to the rail at the back. I did make a small bracket to go thru the handle but used a heavy bungie to keep it snug. Filled both with Non-E for the trip. Ended up not using them but never had any leaks or smells. Definitely worth the price in my opinion. Just make sure you find the real ones and not the knock offs.

OP
OP

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I asked about this last year as we took a 6000 miles trip around the US. In the end I bit the bullet and grabbed 2 Wavian cans. I did upgrade the nozzle. I have a trail rail system made from unistrut with a soft cover. The stood up right next to the rail at the back. I did make a small bracket to go thru the handle but used a heavy bungie to keep it snug. Filled both with Non-E for the trip. Ended up not using them but never had any leaks or smells. Definitely worth the price in my opinion. Just make sure you find the real ones and not the knock offs.
Yeah def don’t mind paying for the real stuff. My current Wavian has treated me well so far and WAY easier to pour than the “environment-friendlier” CARB compliment nozzles.

I’m actually able to get more fuel INTO the tank than ONTO my shoes...

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
This is one thing I forgot to mention, I also picked up the upgraded spout because the ones that come on the Wavian are difficult to use on the vehicle and tend to leak in my experience.

This was well worth the price and works well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4037191745...GsDgnGLQ7-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Sponsored

Gladiator Brad 704

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I have my Wavian cans mounted upright on the drivers side of the bed. This way I am able to use a Jiggler from Harbor Freight to siphon the gas from the can to the tank and I never have to take them out of the bed.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
The only issue I’ve had is when they’re empty and cool off, and/or drop in elevation, they like to shrivel up a bit. I usually have to let air in to get the shape back.
1EE436AA-0ED6-45D0-BBCC-DD70D91ABDD9.jpeg
Just a thought...I'm in AZ too and have the same issue with my fuel rotopax. What I do when I empty a can is just leave the cap loose enough that the spout and "seal" can wiggle a bit. This allows an empty can to breathe whether hot or cold.

I know someone will pop in here and offer a concern about dust getting in the can at that point but mine are stored inside of my canopy, so it's a lesser concern.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Just a thought...I'm in AZ too and have the same issue with my fuel rotopax. What I do when I empty a can is just leave the cap loose enough that the spout and "seal" can wiggle a bit. This allows an empty can to breathe whether hot or cold.

I know someone will pop in here and offer a concern about dust getting in the can at that point but mine are stored inside of my canopy, so it's a lesser concern.
I do the same

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have mounted two wavian Jerry cans in the bed to fit under my cover, I used wavian Jerry can mounts on rough country molle panels.

2AB8DBFE-7209-4277-890B-1E8685957BE4.jpeg
I have a Wavian 5 gallon and molle panels in my bed. I also run a hard Tonneau cover. I put the Wavian on its side with the cap facing up, then, I ratchet strap lengthwise very tight (under the handles) the wavian to my Molle panels with an ammo can inbetween. I can close my tonneau cover, and I ran that way through the Rubicon trail with no issues, no leak, no smell... Here is a pic from the Rubicon trail trip. I do not have the Wavian mounts like "Geetch", because I have the Safe Jack "The General" in an ammo can against my molle panels, and I just cinch up the Wavian can with a rachet strap for both of them.

PS. I also bought the Wavian Red Long Nose Flexible Pouring Spout (4136-RED) - which makes it very easy to add the gas to the gas tank vs. the short plastic push pour one that comes with the Wavian. This is highly recommended.

hbOHNm.jpg

Sponsored

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Wavian 5 gallon and molle panels in my bed. I also run a hard Tonneau cover. I put the Wavian on its side with the cap facing up, then, I ratchet strap lengthwise very tight (under the handles) the wavian to my Molle panels with an ammo can inbetween. I can close my tonneau cover, and I ran that way through the Rubicon trail with no issues, no leak, no smell... Here is a pic from the Rubicon trail trip. I do not have the Wavian mounts like "Geetch", because I have the Safe Jack "The General" in an ammo can against my molle panels, and I just cinch up the Wavian can with a rachet strap for both of them.

PS. I also bought the Wavian Red Long Nose Flexible Pouring Spout (4136-RED) - which makes it very easy to add the gas to the gas tank vs. the short plastic push pour one that comes with the Wavian. This is highly recommended.

Jeep Gladiator Carrying gas cans hbOHNm
Nice, I also have the general safe jack in the can I love it it’s in my box

Snowcavemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm looking to do the White Rim Trail in Moab this summer. I'm also looking at ways to carry extra fuel.

I currently have a bed rack where my RTT sits but the rack is also covered with a soft top-type material (https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/soft-top-over-my-bed-rack.63041/). I just mounted a Rotopax mount on the inside to potentially use for the trip.

For those of you that carry the old-school 5 gallon jerry cans, do you find that you have to burp the cans due to temperature/altitude changes? Any issues with the cans leaking?

For those of you carrying in the bed of the truck, do you use any mounts or just play camping Tetris and wedge everything together?

Thanks!
I built a swing gate rack for 4 or more rotopax
Jeep Gladiator Carrying gas cans 20220716_213005

Compton

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
You can buy proper new old school Gerry Cans from one of the land rover parts places here in America. They are made in europe aren't very expensive and have a label stuck on them saying for non potable water only (as the EPA regs forbid them here). They do not leak, they will last forever.

Detachment-1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mall Crawler
After hours of trying to figure out what I could manufacture or buy to mount my Rotopax gas cans on the inside of my rack so they weren’t flat as in the original config below, it finally hit me to just ratchet strap them in for less than $20.

Not the most secure I guess, but if someone wants to go through the trouble to steal them, then I guess they’ll get stolen.

On a positive note, the upright storage as well as the traction boards mounted on the rack do seem to shade them enough that the swelling and leaking gas cap from melted gaskets has stopped entirely. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Jeep Gladiator Carrying gas cans IMG_1838

I guess you’ve all kind of moved away from the OP but here’s some awful pictures of the worst set up possible.

These Rotopax are trash. I’ve had to replace the gaskets soooo many times and eventually the whole caps and funnels on both. I have to burp them pretty much daily as the weather heats up, which sucks because of the way I’ve mounted them flat I have to take them off each time (poor planning on my part I’ll concede). They leak often, even after keeping up with maintenance. They weren’t cheap as we all know.

I’ll eventually find a better solution but I hate having to spend my build money replacing something I’ve already bought. I think Decked bed slide next and then skid plates and then….well, you guys get it.

dajudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Network/Server Admin
I carry two Scepter military ones.
They are indestructible, drain fast, and are light.
Yes they swell, but it isn't an issue because I don't store them in a mount on their sides. If they are too swollen to take out of the mount I just crack the cap to release the pressure.

The biggest deal with Scepters is that most of them are for diesel and gasoline will ruin the gasket.
You have to make sure you get the correct Viton gasket.
Sponsored