First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR - 2018 BMW 430i
Occupation
Retired
Took the plunge and have the lift sitting in the garage. Trying to muster up the confidence to do the install along with a buddy of mine. I have watched the Clayton install video as well as JK Gear and Gadgets dozens of times. I have read Claytons instructions multiple times as well. Along with the lift I also ordered the CurrectLync steering system. Should the CurrectLync be installed before or after? Does it matter? Any tips to make the install painless as possible. I'm certain we have all tools needed along with plenty of jackstands and 2 floorjacks, so we're good in that department. Things that concern me are caster and pinion angles, will the suggested measurements get me close enough for alignment? Open to all suggestions, tips and tricks to boost my confidence. It's been 15 yrs since I lifted my Nissan Titan. I'm I overthinking this lol?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sempe-Fi Rubicon

Sempe-Fi Rubicon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR - 2018 BMW 430i
Occupation
Retired

THE SANDALORIAN

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So I just started my 3.5" Overland + install a couple of nights ago (just putting in a couple of hours each night and taking my time). I'm currently doing the install with tow large jack stands and one small one as well as the jack. I've put in numerous lifts in the past and haven't really run into many issues with this one. I will say though that the instructions could be a bit better. Pictures instead of diagrams would go a long ways towards making this install fool proof.

Check your front bump stop hole fitment prior to drilling. They mention drilling it out in the instructions, but mine fit without needing to. Also, for the front control arm extension brackets, I did have to drill those out a bit to fit and that wasn't discussed in the instructions.

Not sure what shocks you decided to go with, but with the Falcon 3.3s, they were tough to get into the lower shock mounts and line up with both sides of the bolt. Took some effort to get them there with the jack. Also, I didn't see it in the instructions, but you will need to use the new front lower shock bolts that are provided. They should be packed with the lower control arms.

If I recall correctly, you will mostly use an 10mm, 14mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm, and a 22mm socket/wrench. The lower control arm inside frame nut size is a 24mm. A battery powered impact gun was a great item to have to break loose the factory torqued nuts.

Oh, you will also need an large allen wrench for the bump stops. I believe it was an 8mm one. Do not mount the bump stops before putting on your springs. You will put the bump stop inside the springs when putting them on. You can secure the bump stop inside the spring with string or a zip tie. You might be able to get it up there by just holding it in with your hand as well. I don't have a pic of that but JK Gears and Gadgets did it the same way.

It's always better to overthink than to underthink, lol. If you've done any of this in the past, I don't think you will have many issues. I will be starting the rear later on this evening.

Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5 Overland+ Install tips? 20221121_164045
Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5 Overland+ Install tips? 20221121_185947
Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5 Overland+ Install tips? 20221122_201238
Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5 Overland+ Install tips? 20221122_211602

OP
OP
Sempe-Fi Rubicon

Sempe-Fi Rubicon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR - 2018 BMW 430i
Occupation
Retired
Thank you sir, that was exactly what I was looking for. You are correct about the directions that's why a was a little uneasy. I think I will be good with pulling information from other sources than just the provided install instructions. Still not sure about order of steering upgrade and how to incorporate that into the process.

THE SANDALORIAN

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you sir, that was exactly what I was looking for. You are correct about the directions that's why a was a little uneasy. I think I will be good with pulling information from other sources than just the provided install instructions. Still not sure about order of steering upgrade and how to incorporate that into the process.
Not a problem! Not sure about the steering upgrade and where to incorporate that. I didn't pick up the CurrectLync but decided to go with the Fusion 4x4 2.5 ton aluminum tie rod and drag link. I will probably order those now seeing that they are also on sale, lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sempe-Fi Rubicon

Sempe-Fi Rubicon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR - 2018 BMW 430i
Occupation
Retired
Not a problem! Not sure about the steering upgrade and where to incorporate that. I didn't pick up the CurrectLync but decided to go with the Fusion 4x4 2.5 ton aluminum tie rod and drag link. I will probably order those now seeing that they are also on sale, lol.
Wow, thats a hefty upgrade. I did go with the same Falcons as you so I appreciate that tip as well. I know you said you took your time, did you do everything solo? How much total time do you extimate it took you. How long have you had the lift on? How bad was your alignment off? How does it ride now? What size tires and wheel specs? I got some Nitto Ridge Grapplers 37 x 12.50 on Method 17 x 8.5 with 0 offset. Can you post a pic of finished product? Any before/after pics? Damn I'm asking alot.

kennyp

First Name
kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Extrusion team Lead
When i did my first lift install it was a 3.5" . i was on the back and for some reason I couldnt get the rear track bar to line up. Called the shop I got it from, they asked me to ake some pictures and send them,I did, I got a call back in about 2 minutes. Axle had shifted, pushed it over and bamm went right in. Long store short, dont be scared go for it, there is help always a phone call away

OP
OP
Sempe-Fi Rubicon

Sempe-Fi Rubicon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR - 2018 BMW 430i
Occupation
Retired
When i did my first lift install it was a 3.5" . i was on the back and for some reason I couldnt get the rear track bar to line up. Called the shop I got it from, they asked me to ake some pictures and send them,I did, I got a call back in about 2 minutes. Axle had shifted, pushed it over and bamm went right in. Long store short, dont be scared go for it, there is help always a phone call away
Thank you, I tend to overthink things and just trying to take out any guess work and make install as smooth as possible.

THE SANDALORIAN

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, thats a hefty upgrade. I did go with the same Falcons as you so I appreciate that tip as well. I know you said you took your time, did you do everything solo? How much total time do you extimate it took you. How long have you had the lift on? How bad was your alignment off? How does it ride now? What size tires and wheel specs? I got some Nitto Ridge Grapplers 37 x 12.50 on Method 17 x 8.5 with 0 offset. Can you post a pic of finished product? Any before/after pics? Damn I'm asking alot.
I've done everything solo so far. Front took me maybe 3.5 hours so far. I still need to measure and cut the sway bar links and torque everything down. I've only worked on the front so far, starting the rear tonight so don't have any info on alignment or how it rides just yet. Wheels are Black Rhino Axle 17x9.5 5x5" -18mm and tires are Maxxis RAZR M/T 37x13.50. I've got a before pic, but not an after pic yet ;) From the before to current though, you can tell there is quite a bit of added front wheel gap.

Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5 Overland+ Install tips? 20221015_154627
Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5 Overland+ Install tips? 20221122_211525

OP
OP
Sempe-Fi Rubicon

Sempe-Fi Rubicon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR - 2018 BMW 430i
Occupation
Retired
I've done everything solo so far. Front took me maybe 3.5 hours so far. I still need to measure and cut the sway bar links and torque everything down. I've only worked on the front so far, starting the rear tonight so don't have any info on alignment or how it rides just yet. Wheels are Black Rhino Axle 17x9.5 5x5" -18mm and tires are Maxxis RAZR M/T 37x13.50. I've got a before pic, but not an after pic yet ;) From the before to current though, you can tell there is quite a bit of added front wheel gap.

Looking good sir. Oh wow... didn't realize you were in the process. I did cut my swaybar end links yesterday. I used a hacksaw with a new blade, took my time and the cuts came out perfect the bolts threaded on and off no problems at all. Took a little while though.

THE SANDALORIAN

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking good sir. Oh wow... didn't realize you were in the process. I did cut my swaybar end links yesterday. I used a hacksaw with a new blade, took my time and the cuts came out perfect the bolts threaded on and off no problems at all. Took a little while though.
Good to know about the hack saw. I was planning on using a cutoff wheel, but a hack saw might make for a cleaner cut.
Sponsored