Sponsored

Colorado ZR2 Will Be The JT Rubicon's Main Competition

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The Colorado is automatic-only, so it isn't even a consideration for me. If I'm replacing the Silverado, it is going to have a manual transmission, which is why I have an eye on the JT.
Why not the RAM 2500HD Off-Road ? You can get that as a manual 6-speed and with either a Hemi or Diesel, short-box, long-box, short or full-cab.. Not as off-road worthy as a Power Wagon and perhaps JT, but moreso than the Silverado, and can be configured with the manual transission and diesel the PW can't, and can tow more too if that's your thing, and if you avoid the luxury features (every truck now has a Platinum, Limited, BigHorn-TinyWang option) it can be similarly priced.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-...0-4x4-off-road-package-power-wagon-and-rebel/
Sponsored

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Why not the RAM 2500HD Off-Road ? You can get that as a manual 6-speed and with either a Hemi or Diesel, short-box, long-box, short or full-cab.. Not as off-road worthy as a Power Wagon and perhaps JT, but moreso than the Silverado, and can be configured with the manual transission and diesel the PW can't, and can tow more too if that's your thing, and if you avoid the luxury features (every truck now has a Platinum, Limited, BigHorn-TinyWang option) it can be similarly priced.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-...0-4x4-off-road-package-power-wagon-and-rebel/
Yea AEV makes a kit for the 2500 where you can run 37s or 40s with a 3" lift.

Jeep Gladiator Colorado ZR2 Will Be The JT Rubicon's Main Competition {filename}

This is personally on my radar. If the JT doesn't pan out as expected I'll most likely be going in this direction.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So basically two JLU's for the price of one of these.
Yep, Exactly.
Or the original Ram HD2500 Off-Road and a separate JKU/JLU for the cottage, for the price of just the AEV.

When I mention how much I want a Hemi Wrangler, and also how much I like AEV & their stuff, and that they are technically a 'local business' , people always ask me why I don't do the mod, I tell them "Yeah, for that price, I could buy a new Mustang GT in addition to my Wrangler... and maybe have enough left over for a SeaDoo... sooo..."

MuhThugga

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Silverado, 1981 El Camino

A few reasons:
  • I have no use or need for a 2500 series truck.
  • The 2500 doesn't come in a regular cab, short bed configuration.
  • The manual transmission is only available with the diesel
    • I'm not particularly fond of diesels
    • It is almost a $10,000 option
I don't care about offroad capabilities. I just want a 4WD truck with a manual trans that allows me to haul things when I need and gets me to work when there is a foot of snow on the ground as my job requires. GM and Ford offer absolutely nothing, Nissan's Frontier is a billion years old, and the Tacoma is one giant yawn. The JT is the only thing that has my interest piqued right now. The only thing that would win over the JT is if they released a Ram 1500 with the Hemi and a 6 speed manual, but we know that won't happen because this country hates shifting gears.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, Exactly.
Or the original Ram HD2500 Off-Road and a separate JKU/JLU for the cottage, for the price of just the AEV.

When I mention how much I want a Hemi Wrangler, and also how much I like AEV & their stuff, and that they are technically a 'local business' , people always ask me why I don't do the mod, I tell them "Yeah, for that price, I could buy a new Mustang GT in addition to my Wrangler... and maybe have enough left over for a SeaDoo... sooo..."
Yes and no. Its not two Rubicons. Also the HD trucks have a TON of incentives on them. You can get up to 15K off MSRP. I built a Larmie crew cab 4wd diesel for $67,000 and saw with incentives and discounts that Dennis Dillon here in Idaho would sell it for around $50K add in the $10K for the AEV Prospector Package (not the Prospector XL) and I'm at $60K which is the same price a Ford 250 or Chevy 2500 diesel sells for after incentives similarly equipped.

Also with it being an AEV vehicle, it will have sold resale value, so your overall cost of ownership isn't bad.

I figure if I buy a JTUR it will be around $40K after incentives, then I'll have at least $10-15K more in lift, tires, wheels, roof rack, bumpers front and rear, so the price difference isn't all the much different when it all plays out.

The only thing holding me back on the 2500 is that some of the tech on it is dated. No LED head lights and tail lights, and in 2020 (with a good chance of 2019 sales date) the new 2500, and 3500 will be out. So I hate to be with an outdated body style right away.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I wouldn't say two Rubis, but something pedestrian as the second one... similar to my second one. JK with manual doors/windows/trans, and just hardtop, 17" upgrade, EVIC, and 430 headunit (moded for rear cam to not run-over cottage kids & pets and eithers' toys). That's about the price difference.
And the difference for the Hemi upgrade in a Wrangler unfortunately is a Mustang GT+, although selling your used Pentastar and bits can recoup some, so might drop you down to Mustang EcoBoost. :like:

As for the 2500HD , hopefully the aging bits get the required refresh with the overall RAM update next year. I've seen a lot of camo shots of that recently too, but unlike the JL, I haven't seen any interior shots of the RAM yet. Hoping they do a good job, as it does seem that they usually are the ones leading the style side, and are fast-followers of Ford on the tech/feature side.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
No I wouldn't say two Rubis, but something pedestrian as the second one... similar to my second one. JK with manual doors/windows/trans, and just hardtop, 17" upgrade, EVIC, and 430 headunit (moded for rear cam to not run-over cottage kids & pets and eithers' toys). That's about the price difference.
And the difference for the Hemi upgrade in a Wrangler unfortunately is a Mustang GT+, although selling your used Pentastar and bits can recoup some, so might drop you down to Mustang EcoBoost. :like:

As for the 2500HD , hopefully the aging bits get the required refresh with the overall RAM update next year. I've seen a lot of camo shots of that recently too, but unlike the JL, I haven't seen any interior shots of the RAM yet. Hoping they do a good job, as it does seem that they usually are the ones leading the style side, and are fast-followers of Ford on the tech/feature side.
Yea I have seen some of the spy stuff on the 1500 but nothing on the 2500. I was hoping for 2018 they would LEDs like they did to the Wrangler for 2017, but so far I haven't been able to find any info on updates for 2018 for the HDs. The 2019 1500 will be revealed at Detroit in Jan, but will then be on sale by summer which will make it a short 2018 year. I'm thinking they will do the same with the HDs in 2019

Last edited:

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
This is the for what it is worth column. Manufacturers quality YMMV but here is my experience Having owned a lot of vehicles since I learned to drive in 1969.
I had a 77 jeep cj 7 and on the first day the light switch feed and I got a ticket.
I had 2 Toyota trucks a fore runner and a land cruiser one truck went through 5 transmissions in 2 years 1982 The 1978 4x4 little pick up was bullet proof I drove it of the side of a road and into a ravine working ( I am geologist and work of road a lot) and it didn't even blink I had a 78 Ford bronze that practically begged me never to go off road because it got stuck every single time.
The fore runner blew seals left and right. The cruiser a series 100 was really good too until the on board computer went.
Then I had 2 corvettes I was was fine the other blue a transmission a viper which blew all the head gaskets at 14 k
I had 2 suburbans one was a solid Axel 3/4 ton and more tank than truck albeit with the coolest caption chairs ever and it was bullet proof best blizzard truck ever. another with a 454 later model first with IFS and it was also bullet proof . MY 95 blazer sport 2 door with just a small lift I swapped in the heavy duty 3/4 torsion bars put 225k on it and when I sold it he all 8 cylinders were within 95% of new compression specs. That got driven off road a lot.
I had 2 chevy pickups and they were also great.
Right now I own a jeep JKU rubicon and have a 160,000 miles on it. so far it has been pretty darned good. 1 transmission but as soon as I put the auxiliary trans cooler on it. no issues.

I drove a ZR2 with a diesel and it wasn't particularly fast but anything is faster than my jeep and I thought the interior was pretty nice. The dealer said the v6 is much quicker but I haven't driven one yet.
Beside the JT will have solid axles.
So on one hand I can see why the ZR2 might be the chief competition for the JT but on the other there is so little known about the jt will it be a 3/4 ton or a 1/2 ton ? is it gonna steal sales from ram? How Much $$$ is it gonna be?, Is it like a power wagon with a jeep body? Picture that a 1/2 ton version of a power wagon with 35 already on it and winch, Jeep body old style grill, little more compliant ride, better ability to got where you want. less size but still bigger than a JL.

I hope not but It might be really expensive like a power wagon 65$ I know you can get discounts at certain dealers.
If it is fully loaded up which I really like will it be like a ford f150 platinum at 65K or a mixed out chevy Silverado.

This much is for sure . It is an exciting time to be a jeep guy .

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
So on one hand I can see why the ZR2 might be the chief competition for the JT but on the other there is so little known about the jt will it be a 3/4 ton or a 1/2 ton ? is it gonna steal sales from ram? How Much $$$ is it gonna be?, Is it like a power wagon with a jeep body? Picture that a 1/2 ton version of a power wagon with 35 already on it and winch, Jeep body old style grill, little more compliant ride, better ability to got where you want. less size but still bigger than a JL.

I hope not but It might be really expensive like a power wagon 65$ I know you can get discounts at certain dealers.
If it is fully loaded up which I really like will it be like a ford f150 platinum at 65K or a mixed out chevy Silverado.

This much is for sure . It is an exciting time to be a jeep guy .
Its not going to be a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. Its going to compete with the Tacoma, Ranger, and Colorado as a midsize pickup. FCA will not want it eating into full-size sales as they are already trying to push their fullsize numbers up and the new 1500 comes out mid 2018.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
Actually there's a lot known about the JT. We've seen camo'ed spy photos, we've seen videos of it driving, we've seen CAD models of the frame, body, and bed. We know that the cab and front of the truck will essentially be identical to the 4dr JL, and it'll have the JL's front end/grille. Same power/drivetrain as the JL (may or may not get the turbo 4) but the rear suspension is the same design as the Ram's to increase/improve towing and payload over the JK/JL's rear suspension.

Like Vegas said, it's a midsize truck that's going to compete market-wise with the Tacoma, Colorado, and up-coming Ranger. It's based off the new JL platform, so it's basically a 4dr Wrangler pick-up, ala the AEV Brute Double-Cab. The Rubicon version will be like a 1/4-ton Power Wagon, but don't expect 35s or a winch.

I don't think there's been any concrete info on pricing yet, but I expect it to start in the low to mid 30s for a non-Rubicon model.

Timgco

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Maybe I can add some perspective here. This is my first post over here, so hello! I have built and wheeled 6 JKs to date and have been in the Offroad industry for a few years. Most of the trails I run are in CO and UT. The trails range from simple two track, to some of the harder trails in Moab.
I am very much looking forward to both the JL and JT. The 3.0L is what I'm going to "try" to hold out for, however the 8 speed mated to the 3.6l is going to be nice. I currently own and wheel a 16 Power Wagon. It's a big be0tc4 to fit on a lot of the trails, but it's a great daily driver and great at hauling a ton of gear while hunting, camping, biking, etc. the JKUs I always did roof racks on, to add more utility and bring more gear along while bring th dogs. It was doable. So with the JKU just large enough to cram all the gear in and the Power Wagon large enough to tow or haul whatever I needed, I feel the JT is going to be damn near perfect size between the two platforms. I feel parking will be great for those daily routines and hauling gear. It will also be more (dare I say nimble), on the trails. ...at least in comparison to my PW. I've wheeled with H3T Hummers on 35's with f/r lockers and Built Tacomas. That size does well except on the more severe break over angles. Most are doable with proper rock rails and different lines of course bs the Jk.

There was talk on the ZR2 as a dirrect competitor and I agree 100%. Off road this new platform with front and rear lockers is proving to do well in the writeups and forums I e been reading. You can squeeze in 33's with a little modding. There's really no additional suspension or aftermarket to really take that rig to the next level. With 35's that rig would be awesome. We already know the aftermarket is going to step up fast with this platform. 35's and 37's, aka Double Cab Brute, will be more capable Offroad. I can see a bed rack and roof rack similar to what the Tacoma guys do.

For those looking at a PW, with very minor trimming and the proper offset wheel, a 37" BFG KO2 (read a large 35" tire since they run small), will fit without a lift.
Sponsored