Sponsored

Confirmed: SOME 2020 JT's built on 8/14 (2020) and after got the Steel Steering box

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
New member here. Purchased my 2020 Gladiator Sport with the max tow package in early September 2020. It appears to have the steel steering box and the manufacture date is 8-20. My steering experience always seems fine. See attached photos.

A82EEEED-4CB0-48DC-88B5-35DF5A8D4E83.jpeg

1BCF8B9D-5722-43A8-8B39-BCE46E051F71.jpeg
There is another # on that sticker for the day. I can see in pic "MD" at the top, that's the MDH#. It will be 6 letters long (Month/day/hour). What is it?
Sponsored

chrisddc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Automation & Controls
MDH: 081717
I saw this JT the day it came off the truck at the dealership. All the dealer did was remove the shipping materials and a light cleanup. Odometer had 9 miles when I headed home with it.

9A3F9489-7EA6-4B89-B95E-85F4B60C4F64.png

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There is another # on that sticker for the day. I can see in pic "MD" at the top, that's the MDH#. It will be 6 letters long (Month/day/hour). What is it?
He already said so - here's his MDH from the last post - no need to see the sticker -

the manufacture date is 8-20. MDH: 081717.

So his build date is 8-17-2020

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
MDH: 081717
I saw this JT the day it came off the truck at the dealership. All the dealer did was remove the shipping materials and a light cleanup. Odometer had 9 miles when I headed home with it.

Jeep Gladiator Confirmed: SOME 2020 JT's built on 8/14 (2020) and after got the Steel Steering box 9A3F9489-7EA6-4B89-B95E-85F4B60C4F64
I think - don't hold me to this, but I think the date of 8-14-2020 was the cutoff for getting the new steering gear. You have a date after that and your steering gear is definitely the new steering gear. So you should be fine. Good job.

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
I’m going to chime in a little, my father in law builds these trucks, he actually works For mobis, they put the chassis together, frame, engine transmission transfer case driveline wheels and such I’m assuming they put the gearbox on too, mid august they started the 2021 chassis. They work next door to the Jeep plant and then they fill so many chassis tressle up for the Jeep plant to use, and I would assume that maybe the mdh stamp number may be part of the confusion as to why we see some Aluminium and steel in the mix in august 14. they may not pull as the chassis was made in order once the chassis is made its vin stamped and may be pulled separately then the order it was made if that makes sense?

Sponsored

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I’m going to chime in a little, my father in law builds these trucks, he actually works For mobis, they put the chassis together, frame, engine transmission transfer case driveline wheels and such I’m assuming they put the gearbox on too, mid august they started the 2021 chassis. They work next door to the Jeep plant and then they fill so many chassis tressle up for the Jeep plant to use, and I would assume that maybe the mdh stamp number may be part of the confusion as to why we see some Aluminium and steel in the mix in august 14. they may not pull as the chassis was made in order once the chassis is made its vin stamped and may be pulled separately then the order it was made if that makes sense?
Thanks for insight. I guess this thread has worked itself to a conclusion I'm happy with. Confirming with multiple folks that some(albeit a small number) of 2020's got the new gear.

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
He already said so - here's his MDH from the last post - no need to see the sticker -

So his build date is 8-17-2020
Look at my quote of his right after he posted the posted quote doesn't have the part about the MDH, he edited it after I posted. So I didn't miss it afterall. I'd post an emoji of sticking my tongue out but I'm not that clever.

chrisddc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Automation & Controls
Look at my quote of his right after he posted the posted quote doesn't have the part about the MDH, he edited it after I posted. So I didn't miss it afterall. I'd post an emoji of sticking my tongue out but I'm not that clever.
Yes sir! I edited it at the same time you posted asking for the date.

gnepstal

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Letter Carrier
Build date 8/15/20.

272BBFFE-DB5E-46CC-BA7B-A47FA6CB970E_1_201_a.jpeg

D35F4912-273D-4024-85DE-D35AA9B23722_1_201_a.jpeg

Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I obviously missed it by 1 freaking day or a half a day. Lame!

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Mine was built 7/14, has the aluminum box, and doesn’t have the issue

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
There are only two on my dealers lot (rubicon and overland) and they both have the black steel box.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I wouldn't let the TSB throw you off. It may be a put-off at first but in my experience the fix was done fast with almost no inconvenience. If it was me, if Gobi or Gator is what you want, that takes much higher priority over going through a steering box TSB.
I bought my Gobi with the knowledge that the color was being discontinued and it may have loose steering. I haven’t checked the box yet but I was aware of the TSB prior to purchase and this gave me confidence that I could buy the color I wanted and get the repair, if needed later on. So far steering has been fine but I’ll try and check the color of the box

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I bought my Gobi with the knowledge that the color was being discontinued and it may have loose steering. I haven’t checked the box yet but I was aware of the TSB prior to purchase and this gave me confidence that I could buy the color I wanted and get the repair, if needed later on. So far steering has been fine but I’ll try and check the color of the box
same exact thing with my purchase. I was aware of the TSB at the time but didn’t know the full details before my purchase. I went ahead because it was the color and options I wanted, and the color was going away. Finding the color and options I wanted fairly close to me was a take or or leave it thing.
Sponsored