Sponsored

Confirmed: SOME 2020 JT's built on 8/14 (2020) and after got the Steel Steering box

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Not to hijack the thread but just so I understand correctly, the steering rack TSB 08-074-20 replaces the current alum steering unit with a steel design? If that is the case, then all new 2021's will come from the factory with the steel unit?
The TSB replaces the original aluminum housed steering gear with a new part number cast steel housed steering gear.

JeepCares has checked and confirmed all 2021 will come withe the new steering gear.
It makes sense, there's no way they'd have a TSB out on this and start a new model year with the old unit.
Yes, all new - 2021 JT and Wranglers will come with the new version of the steering gear in the cast housing.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So looked this morning mine is black 7/7/20 build
Did you check the part number on it? I can't believe an EARLY July build would have the new steel unit when later July builds did not! Go back and forth? produce some with, some without?

If it's the new version if will be a semi-gloss black, not dull but actually rather shiny.

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army
Mine is 7/30 0600 build and I have the aluminum housing on mine.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I don't believe any 2020s were built with the new box. Mine is 7/15. Horrible steering, had my box replaced.

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
The TSB replaces the original aluminum housed steering gear with a new part number cast steel housed steering gear.

JeepCares has checked and confirmed all 2021 will come withe the new steering gear.
It makes sense, there's no way they'd have a TSB out on this and start a new model year with the old unit.
Yes, all new - 2021 JT and Wranglers will come with the new version of the steering gear in the cast housing.
Thank you for confirming!

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If you are worried about the TSB, negotiate your deal, and tell the dealer you will take it if they do the TSB before delivery.
Not all the steering boxes have problems and need replaced. If it is driven before sale and has steering issues, then a request to complete the TSB would be appropriate. There may be a delay getting the part, depending on where the dealer is located.

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Well the issue is the jeep I'm interested in is still in transit to a dealer over a 5 hr drive from me. There is a large well respected dealer in my town that I would buy from but they don't have any I'm looking for. I could buy it and if needed have the dealer in town address it, but really don't want the hassle.

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army
Well the issue is the jeep I'm interested in is still in transit to a dealer over a 5 hr drive from me. There is a large well respected dealer in my town that I would buy from but they don't have any I'm looking for. I could buy it and if needed have the dealer in town address it, but really don't want the hassle.
You can always ask your local dealer to do a dealer to dealer transfer. Worst case is they say they can't do it.

catdaddy63

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTLE, 2019 Ram 1500 DT
I checked a few fresh arrivals over the last few weeks, we did get a few 20's with the new steering gear! The "oldest" date I found was 8/14 build. I looked at several 8/4-8/8 builds and they all had the old box.

Edit: Found an 8/12 build with the old box.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I checked a few fresh arrivals over the last few weeks, we did get a few 20's with the new steering gear! The "oldest" date I found was 8/14 build. I looked at several 8/4-8/8 builds and they all had the old box.
Awesome as the one I'm hoping has it is still in transit.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The switch to model year varies from company to company and even in the same company, can change at times, Typically - mid to late August is a change. September should all be 2021.
Will be interesting to see the exact cut-off.

I have a customer book in my shop where I track things sent to me for restoration. I ask the customer for the build date of their car so I can make the date code on the part I am restoring.
I'll have to look to see when the model years changed, see if I can see a pattern in my customer book where I track build dates and model years. Of course that's for cars 4 decades old, but still could be interesting.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
The reason I inquire is I'm hot to buy but can wait til 2021's arrive, the issue is I like gobi and gator so am looking at some 2020's and don't want the drama of the TSB
I wouldn't let the TSB throw you off. It may be a put-off at first but in my experience the fix was done fast with almost no inconvenience. If it was me, if Gobi or Gator is what you want, that takes much higher priority over going through a steering box TSB.

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow

Edit: Found an 8/12 build with the old box.
Per catdaddy63's edit looks as if the changeover day for 2020's is most likely 8/13 or 8/14 about a week after date of TSB.
Kinda wondering what day they changed over to building 2021's.
Sponsored