Convince me to get a GMRS radio

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I have the Midland MXT-275 and stick the little mag mount antenna on one of the hood hinge bolts. Not great, but it's good enough for at least a couple of miles.
Nothin wrong with that. There really is no good ground plane on a Jeep. So that may be as good as any other setup. Actually, there might be something with the bed of the JT, but my JL is even more limited.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Laird BB4502N is a 1/2 wave no ground plane antenna about 12" tall and about 0dBd gain or a little over 2dBi gain. It would mount in places like on the plastic cowl with no metal under it and it will tune up just fine, but without the sheet metal ground plane its range will be slightly less than the same antenna mounted in the middle of some sheet metal.

The "gain" type antennas I refer to are about 2 to 3ft tall with a coil in the middle and rated around 5dBi gain or 3dBd and probably similar to your Tram 6dB but I would have to look that one up. These all need some sheet metal under them to tune and work but will more than double your signal compared to the Laird BB4502N with no ground plane.

The Laird BB4502N would work slightly better than the 1/4 wave whip I recommended and noticeably better than the short plastic pud types considering the same mounting location for all. You don't need much antenna for caravanning off road or to reach a couple miles down the road but for over 10mi range on flat lands or getting to distant repeaters you need a good antenna in the clear with some ground plane under it. The trunk lip mount on my hood is the best place I've found for an easy install and to do any better would require fabricating something with a minimum of 12" dia ground plane and getting it at roof level.
Midland has a painted steel disc with adhesive on one side. I'd bet that Laird would work with that. You could stick it in the middle of a hard top, nice and high.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
Midland has a painted steel disc with adhesive on one side. I'd bet that Laird would work with that. You could stick it in the middle of a hard top, nice and high.
I'm a hard core antenna guy and have driven around with some pretty embarrassing things sticking out of my vehicles. At least embarrassing for my wifee. I'm not a big mag mount user but if I was I might make up a steel or magnetic stainless steel plate that covers most of the rear roof area. Full width and as much front to back as the removable front pieces would allow.

You would have to mount it with some short stubby standoffs maybe 1/4" to 1/2" high to clear the ribs in the roof, but that would give the mag mount user plenty of ground plane for any VHF/UHF antenna and possibly enough for a CB antenna.

Onefin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ JTR, Defender 90, MB Sprinter 4x4
Occupation
I sell van parts
I mounted antenna and radio today.
the radio is under passenger seat on a little bracket I made, we will see if it stays there.
I located the mic connection port near glove box and it appears to be an OK location.
The mic holder is right above it.
when the mic is detached and stored in the glovebox it is hard to tell that there is a mic port.
Jeep Gladiator Convince me to get a GMRS radio tempImageGzIcql
Jeep Gladiator Convince me to get a GMRS radio tempImagetC3mFu
Jeep Gladiator Convince me to get a GMRS radio tempImagezDePXk

Jeep Gladiator Convince me to get a GMRS radio tempImage1YBuW

Last edited:

Onefin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ JTR, Defender 90, MB Sprinter 4x4
Occupation
I sell van parts
my photos are right side up in my computer....anyone know how I can correct this?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mounted antenna and radio today.
the radio is under passenger seat on a little bracket I made, we will see if it stays there.
I locked the mic connection near gloved box and it appears to be an OK location.
The mic holder is right above it.

I like where you plugged the mic! VERY nicely done!

Timoleon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Tech
I don't think I will go the GMRS route for radio comms. I have instead installed my FT-857 in the vehicle and decided to go all out with an ATAS 120 antenna. I do have a modded Baofeng (handy talkie HT) radio to cover the GMRS/FRS stuff for those folks, but the 857 covers most or my comms needs.

20220120_123613.jpg

20220120_123637.jpg

20220120_123554.jpg

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don't think I will go the GMRS route for radio comms. I have instead installed my FT-857 in the vehicle and decided to go all out with an ATAS 120 antenna. I do have a modded Baofeng (handy talkie HT) radio to cover the GMRS/FRS stuff for those folks, but the 857 covers most or my comms needs.

Jeep Gladiator Convince me to get a GMRS radio 20220120_123554

I'm not advocating this, but with a simple mod the 857 will go on GMRS. Not legal, but neither is the Baofeng.

Sponsored

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
I'm fighting interference on my MXT-275 :mad:

After bout 30 min I start getting 19-22 unusable. Reran the ground to the battery but still there. Will do a power line next but really liked having it off the aux acc on line. Oh well. Hopefully that solves it or I'll have to see if it's the head unit it's self.

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Haven't been around the forum so I'm sure it was posted but Midland did release the MXT500. Looked like a simple radio with not a lot of features but really easy to use. I'd like to see what its actual output power is. But that is one I'd be interested in for the wife's truck/our towing rig.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
But….the whole point of becoming a ham was to acquire radios. And all sorts of antennas.
Agreed.

Me at the meetings looking down at my feet:
Hi, my name is Mike and I'm a ham radio/antenna/coax hoarder.

Group response:
Hi Mike, nice to meet you!
Sponsored