Couple of questions before I make a buying decision

csandoval1988

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I'm sure there will be a lot of goodies in my future and fortunately, there is a great store just a few miles from me called "Jeepster." :)
Also check out Marc at tampa jeep lab he truly is a mad scientist and has a database of knowledge. He has been amazing with everything ive had installed on my jeep. Amazing customer service
Sponsored

OP
OP
Pedalmasher

Pedalmasher

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Occupation
Retired airline pilot
Just build your own. I bought an overland because i wanted leather, 8.4” screen, cold weather group and LED package, plus I’m putting the Mopar 2” lift, already have 35’s, and regearing soon. I live in michigan so I’ll only see trails.
Just bought this one due in first week of December. Sport S fully loaded. The driver is on order to be my passenger.
Jeep Gladiator Couple of questions before I make a buying decision 1 copy1

Also check out Marc at tampa jeep lab he truly is a mad scientist and has a database of knowledge. He has been amazing with everything ive had installed on my jeep. Amazing customer service
Thanks for the info!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pedalmasher

Pedalmasher

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Occupation
Retired airline pilot
Is it a 22? Also sounds like I missed my shot with the cover then being I already ordered and put a deposit down lol
No, it's a 21, but from my understanding the '22's are virtually going to change nothing other than being more expensive.

Reactions: Mac

sfurash

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JK
Occupation
CPA
I agree with this. But for one problem. The Willys comes with mud tires that are terrible on the road. Very loud.

Does the Willys ride higher than the sport S?? Or is it just bigger tires.

For what its worth, I think the Willys wheels are the best looking ones jeep offers. Maybe the answer is to get a Willys and swap out the tires.
First I agree on the Willys wheels as best looking we are on our second Willys this a JL you get used to the noise of the mud tires although when it is replacement time I will do what I eventually did on my last JK Willys and switch to BFG KO2's they still look bad ass and rode smoother
I'm cheap so will wait to use up the oem tires.

Mvitch

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Financial Advisor
I love the looks of the Rubicon, but in that I have no plans to either tow or use it off-road, I'm trying to decide if it is worth it just for the looks. Three important questions: 1) I see a lot of comments in reviews about the loose steering at highway speeds. Does the various Gladiator packages handle the same on the highway? I would think that with a car more dedicated to off-road, the the handling might not be as good as the Sport S. 2) Is the ride of the Rubicon as good as that of the Sport S on the highway? And 3) I would assume that gas mileage in the city would be worse with the Rubicon versus the Sport - is that true?

Oh and yes, there is a white Sport S in transit to my local dealer, and probably the only thing I don't particularly like about it is that it has the white versus the black grill. Would it be a big deal to ask for a swap out? I know with the current conditions, it is pretty difficult to deal, something I am not used to having been an owner of over 40 cars in my driving life, but I wonder if a try might be something like asking for a Mopar fold up tonneau cover prior to committing to the truck?

I'm excited about the prospect of finally owning my first Jeep - I have always wanted one and the time has finally come!!
I drove the Rubicon gladiator and very rough at highway speed. Then found the Mojave and amazing at highway speed. Built for high speed desert running so it’s suspension is way better for normal driving. With only the rear locker it’s not the rock crawler the rubicon is but plenty rugged enough for my needs and 1” more wheel base than rubicon 👍👍Check the Mojave out

OP
OP
Pedalmasher

Pedalmasher

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Occupation
Retired airline pilot
I drove the Rubicon gladiator and very rough at highway speed. Then found the Mojave and amazing at highway speed. Built for high speed desert running so it’s suspension is way better for normal driving. With only the rear locker it’s not the rock crawler the rubicon is but plenty rugged enough for my needs and 1” more wheel base than rubicon 👍👍Check the Mojave out
I committed to this Sport S which will be in the first week of December.
Jeep Gladiator Couple of questions before I make a buying decision 1 copy1

Mvitch

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Financial Advisor
I noticed the 911 in your signature.

If you have the cash and want something that drives RIGHT. Get a mojave. I raced cars and motorcycles when I was younger. I chased the elusive "sorted" suspension combination of compression and rebound damping and spring rtes.

The Mojave has a properly sorted suspension for on road use.

They sell it as "desert racing". But think about what desert racing is. Its moving at speed over whops and bumps. I test drove a lot of Gladiators and the others felt like ox carts compared to the Mojave.

Sponsored

ScottDB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
  • For the money, get a Willys. Rubicon looks, but closer to the Sport price
  • 19 MPG (Willys package). If you want to save on gas, this is not the vehicle for you
  • I've read about the steering issues. I have a 2021 Willys that I purchased in May. I have had no steering problems at all. I came from a Mini Countryman All 4 S which might be the tightest steering known to man. Yes, the jeep feels looser but not like a Ford where you have to constantly correct your trajectory. Even at 75-80mph it handles fine
  • If they don't budge on the tonneau cover, which they likely won't, I tried... there are plenty of aftermarket versions that are far more affordable. I believe the Mopar lists for about $850. I purchased a Rugged Ridge soft rolling cover and it's great. Worth having one for sure.
  • Good luck!!

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
1” more wheelbase???

HardCase

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Lawyer
If you go with the all white Sport S, I’d be tempted to get the grill LineXed. But I agree with the guys recommending a Willys or Mojave for your purposes. Mileage sucks in all of them.

OP
OP
Pedalmasher

Pedalmasher

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Occupation
Retired airline pilot
If you go with the all white Sport S, I’d be tempted to get the grill LineXed. But I agree with the guys recommending a Willys or Mojave for your purposes. Mileage sucks in all of them.
Definitely going with the white Sport S - I put a downpayment on it and it's due in the first week of December. That is one thing I definitely would have chosen as an option in that the black grill on a white one with black fender flares is the only way to go.

Reactions: Mac