Website
www.danballardphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
These photos are amazing! Keep it up? How do you like your Invictus Gear?

Dave
Thanks!! Appreciate it. Yeah, I really like them! I have the handles and the center rollbar molle. So nice to have the extra space and room for gear. Probably going to get more at some point.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Thanks!! Appreciate it. Yeah, I really like them! I have the handles and the center rollbar molle. So nice to have the extra space and room for gear. Probably going to get more at some point.
I've been looking at their headliners vs the hotheads and am kind of back and forth

OP
OP
Dan_Ballard_Offroad

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
I've been looking at their headliners vs the hotheads and am kind of back and forth
Getting the Invictus headliners in soon since I saw they now have the rear as well! Having both the noise/weather insulation plus the molle for gear sounds great.

Also super impressed they tested it by hanging the panels upside down from molle. Should hold quite a bit without worry.

OP
OP
Dan_Ballard_Offroad

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
Finally had time to cut the fender liners out to fit the Falcon shocks. Looks so much better!

Also added the fairing to the roof rack and the Clayton Offroad logo as they are a main sponsor.

The fairing makes it a ton quieter.

Jeep Gladiator Dan Ballard Photo JT Build DB-210103-colorado-09231

Jeep Gladiator Dan Ballard Photo JT Build DB-210103-colorado-09208

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
i see "center fold" pics of rigs like this, and yeah they look cool and all, but my first questions are why/how??

Why did you build it only for 39's and not 40's-42's; and how did you get "center fold" treatment on a build that small? This is 2021. People haven't cared about tires as small as 39's since what? The YJ?? MAAAAYBE the TJ??? Like, anything less than 40's now a days is a joke. I mean, great that you built a truck and took some photos; but c'mon man. Put some real tire meat under that thing.

Then, you did standard type shocks and control arms. So you can't flex worth shit. Without weld on long arms and 2 shocks per corner with hoses and fittings and thingies all over them, you arent going to get enough travel, and as your pic show- hardly any flex. It looks stock, honestly. I mean, it might be good enough for Utah, but its not going to be good enough for that snow pile at the back of the mall parking lot. You should have planned better for that.

hahaha kidding. That thing looks awesome and looks like some good trips!!!!

how do you like the side step/rails? Also, nice on the Heretic Studio. I worked with them to get their pods and a small light bar wired up to my ADV bike a little while ago and have been really happy with the product. Nice to have a quality USA made light that was priced right and doesnt short out at the first sign of rain. I really hope they expand into the Jeep market...theyre better than Rigid by a country mile.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan_Ballard_Offroad

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
i see "center fold" pics of rigs like this, and yeah they look cool and all, but my first questions are why/how??

Why did you build it only for 39's and not 40's-42's; and how did you get "center fold" treatment on a build that small? This is 2021. People haven't cared about tires as small as 39's since what? The YJ?? MAAAAYBE the TJ??? Like, anything less than 40's now a days is a joke. I mean, great that you built a truck and took some photos; but c'mon man. Put some real tire meat under that thing.

Then, you did standard type shocks and control arms. So you can't flex worth shit. Without weld on long arms and 2 shocks per corner with hoses and fittings and thingies all over them, you arent going to get enough travel, and as your pic show- hardly any flex. It looks stock, honestly. I mean, it might be good enough for Utah, but its not going to be good enough for that snow pile at the back of the mall parking lot. You should have planned better for that.

hahaha kidding. That thing looks awesome and looks like some good trips!!!!

how do you like the side step/rails? Also, nice on the Heretic Studio. I worked with them to get their pods and a small light bar wired up to my ADV bike a little while ago and have been really happy with the product. Nice to have a quality USA made light that was priced right and doesnt short out at the first sign of rain. I really hope they expand into the Jeep market...theyre better than Rigid by a country mile.
Lol, I was thinking, damn, pretty harsh! Before I started to get it.

Thanks! It's really been great for an all around rig. Really decent at about everything. Would love to go to 60s someday just for piece of mind and fast desert running, but $$.

Love the step sliders. Stupid expensive, but at the height it's at, man they make it nice.

The Heretic lights have been amazing!! Seriously great products.

What type of bike do you have? I'm into that world a bit as well. KTM 1290

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Lol, I was thinking, damn, pretty harsh! Before I started to get it.

Thanks! It's really been great for an all around rig. Really decent at about everything. Would love to go to 60s someday just for piece of mind and fast desert running, but $$.

Love the step sliders. Stupid expensive, but at the height it's at, man they make it nice.

The Heretic lights have been amazing!! Seriously great products.

What type of bike do you have? I'm into that world a bit as well. KTM 1290
same. KTM 1290 SAR. Heretic lights into a Denali CanBus and Tractive suspension. Some rotty parts too.

Jeep Gladiator Dan Ballard Photo JT Build B672302C-8706-4433-91D1-C90BE283C090
Jeep Gladiator Dan Ballard Photo JT Build EF9F4673-351C-4ADE-BDA9-A2F054860C9E
Jeep Gladiator Dan Ballard Photo JT Build B2809279-4617-43E5-AD76-09A8F78120AE
Jeep Gladiator Dan Ballard Photo JT Build E464B5E4-AE9E-47FA-A76D-466154AC40F8
Jeep Gladiator Dan Ballard Photo JT Build 6E48D6AF-C0FA-4AA9-B486-E1FCB9794BAC

OP
OP
Dan_Ballard_Offroad

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
same. KTM 1290 SAR. Heretic lights into a Denali CanBus and Tractive suspension. Some rotty parts too.
Nice!! That's awesome!! They are great bikes and a good combo with the JT. The lights look great on there.

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
Nice build. I am in a similar boat, a pro sports photographer and marketing manager for an off-road company. So I am always out wheeling, shooting, and marketing the product we sell. I just ordered a Sport on New Year's Eve with the ecodiesel to build something similar. Something that I can live out of, charge my many batteries and laptop and just plain get out and explore. Again, nice looking build!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dan_Ballard_Offroad

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
Nice build. I am in a similar boat, a pro sports photographer and marketing manager for an off-road company. So I am always out wheeling, shooting, and marketing the product we sell. I just ordered a Sport on New Year's Eve with the ecodiesel to build something similar. Something that I can live out of, charge my many batteries and laptop and just plain get out and explore. Again, nice looking build!
Thanks!

Nice, well I think the JT is absolutely the best (possibly only?) option with all that in mind. You going with a topper to sleep in, or trailer? Some great options now for toppers.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Thanks!

Nice, well I think the JT is absolutely the best (possibly only?) option with all that in mind. You going with a topper to sleep in, or trailer? Some great options now for toppers.
i think AT has a Habitat for us now. My buddy ran one on his tacoma and loves it. He likes to be able to stand up and work on photo editing and be out of the weather.

MDV Hank

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Dan,
Great rig and photos. I'm looking at the Frontrunner roof rack and yours is the only one I've seen online.

a few questions
1. how was the install?
2. wind noise ( I see you have wind-deflector)
3. What is your overall thoughts.

Thanks,
Hank

OP
OP
Dan_Ballard_Offroad

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
i think AT has a Habitat for us now. My buddy ran one on his tacoma and loves it. He likes to be able to stand up and work on photo editing and be out of the weather.
Nice, those look pretty cool! Only issue is if you really want to be able to wheel, it adds quite a bit of weight and size up top. Just something to consider.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Nice, those look pretty cool! Only issue is if you really want to be able to wheel, it adds quite a bit of weight and size up top. Just something to consider.
yeah may not be the best option for extreme tip angles. But for most overlander types its a pretty good option.

i cant decide which way to go. Caps with rtt’s or habitats are nice but it means not having a daily pick up amd taking down camp when you wanna do something. Trailers add comfort and base camp convenience but are expensive and a pain in the ass on the trail. Ground tents are best for keeping your pick up a full pick up at home but not the most comfortable.

Im leaning towards a bed rack rtt combo thats easy on/off. I need my pick up to be a pick up most of the year.
Sponsored