Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Hmmm, maybe there is another main adjustment I'm not familiar with (certainly possible) that is an overall soft/performance setting?

I use the three fast adjust settings. 1 soft, 3 firm and 2 that allows you fine adjustment from soft to firm. Apparently you can actually make it softer than 1 and firmer than 3, a by using the number 2 knob and the fine adjustment.

I still need to play with it a lot more but right now I use 3 for the highway. 2 at the very middle for fast offroad. 1 for slow rock crawling type off road. I haven't tried this yet, but if something was seriously off-camber I might flip them to 3 for a little more stability.

If there is another overall setting I would definitely be curious to know.
According to the directions I have on my box, SP2 adjustments are separate from the top fast adjust and can only be done when the bottom of the shock is disconnected and fully extended. SP2 is adjusted to soft by turning the shaft 360 degrees counterclockwise and SP2 is adjusted to performance by turning the shaft 360 degrees clockwise. Then, the top adjustments are there to "fine tune" the soft mode or the performance mode. I have one of the shocks in my hand right now, but, I do not know how to tell what the default setting is for SP2. The directions say to just turn it one way or the other, depending on what you want, but, it does not say what the default setting is.... There are also some graphics on the bottom of the shock cylinder next to the "SP2" logo that describe the procedure. I have circled the directions for the "SP2" adjustment at the bottom of the shock in this pic below.

Based on what I have read, I have no experience yet, a light JT with light 35s or 37s can benefit more from the soft mode; and a fully loaded Overlanding JT with beadlocks and 40s may like the performance mode better as the default setting.

Jeep Gladiator Dan Ballard Photo JT Build xzHggC
Sponsored

Last edited:

Invictus Off Road

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.invictusoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JT, CJ, XJ
Occupation
Entrepreneur
According to the directions I have on my box, SP2 adjustments are separate from the top fast adjust and can only be done when the bottom of the shock is disconnected and fully extended. SP2 is adjusted to soft by turning the shaft 360 degrees counterclockwise and SP2 is adjusted to performance by turning the shaft 360 degrees clockwise. Then, the top adjustments are there to "fine tune" the soft mode or the performance mode. I have one of the shocks in my hand right now, but, I do not know how to tell what the default setting is for SP2. The directions say to just turn it one way or the other, depending on what you want, but, it does not say what the default setting is.... There are also some graphics on the bottom of the shock cylinder next to the "SP2" logo that describe the procedure. I have circled the directions for the "SP2" adjustment at the bottom of the shock in this pic below.

Based on what I have read, I have no experience yet, a light JT with light 35s or 37s can benefit more from the soft mode; and a fully loaded Overlanding JT with beadlocks and 40s may like the performance mode better as the default setting.

I have been looking at these and that's the best explanation I have seen.

Thank you!

OP
OP
Dan_Ballard_Offroad

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.danballardphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer

Wow! Awesome, well that's good to know. Now I'm super curious what mine are even set at...

That's what you get when you just have stuff installed. Hardest part about RV life is no garage.

Thanks for sharing that!

OP
OP
Dan_Ballard_Offroad

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
Jeep Gladiator Dan Ballard Photo JT Build DB-210106-colorado-09258

Got the front Antirocks on yesterday and had a chance to flex them out just a little. So far it doesn't seem like I've lost any articulation at all (this image isn't all the way there) and it seems to ride great!! The rear antirocks will go on Monday just in time for the Winter 4x4 Jamboree!:) Full review once they are both on and I get some seat time at Sand Hollow.

Jeep Gladiator Dan Ballard Photo JT Build 20210106_105703

Jeep Gladiator Dan Ballard Photo JT Build 20210106_122747

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Props for driveway wrenching in the snow! You wouldn't catch me laying on the frozen ground at this point in my life; I'd wait for warmer weather to install new parts!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dan_Ballard_Offroad

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
Props for driveway wrenching in the snow! You wouldn't catch me laying on the frozen ground at this point in my life; I'd wait for warmer weather to install new parts!
Haha, yeah, installing new stuff has been a pain for sure!! Worth it though!!

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Haha, yeah, installing new stuff has been a pain for sure!! Worth it though!!
I can relate to that, I made the move from a house, concrete driveway, garage and 12×24 shop to the RV life Dec 2010 the main things I miss is the concrete driveway garage and shop. Installing anything or even changing fluids and oil does suck in muddy or gravel. Your post reminds me of what I was doing this time last year in the mud and rain, replacing the clutch in my LJ.

OP
OP
Dan_Ballard_Offroad

Dan_Ballard_Offroad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Putdoor Photographer
I can relate to that, I made the move from a house, concrete driveway, garage and 12×24 shop to the RV life Dec 2010 the main things I miss is the concrete driveway garage and shop. Installing anything or even changing fluids and oil does suck in muddy or gravel. Your post reminds me of what I was doing this time last year in the mud and rain, replacing the clutch in my LJ.
Lol, yep, exactly!! Shop and all the big tools (welder, etc) are without a doubt the hardest part!

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, yep, exactly!! Shop and all the big tools (welder, etc) are without a doubt the hardest part!
I still have most of my tools and welding stuff, I ended up giving my cutting torch tanks to a friend. Hauling them across a state plus then have to go back there to get a fill not going to happen. I still do need to get my welders set up again. The thing that really sucked was renting a storage unit for 8 years. I could have sold most of my stuff and replaced it now for less money. Now if I can just find where I packed up my Dad's old Rockwell drill.

bring44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professor

Jeep Gladiator Dan Ballard Photo JT Build 20210106_122747
For what it's worth, the settings were temperature based (i.e., if it is below or greater than 40 F). I live in NC where we do have, well, seasons, but I *think* I adjusted the lower shaft to the "performance" setting. I have found that I can still soften the shocks substantially with the knob adjust, so it seems easier to have that compromise instead of dropping the shocks every winter/summer or load in the case you presented.

I have my shocks set at "2", but often wonder if the micro-adjust would serve me better...like a 1+ setting right now.
Sponsored