Dead Gladiator

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
The primary purpose of the Aux battery is to keep the computers stable so they don't reboot from low voltage during an ESS event. The ESS system monitors the Aux battery. If it is not sufficiently charged, ESS will not activate when stopped.
The aux battery is the only source of power for the computers during an ESS event. The aux battery is not monitored, but it's tested prior to a cold start. If it fails the test, ESS is disabled and the error light is lit. The main battery is monitored by the battery sensor and ESS will not activate if the main battery is not sufficiently charged.
Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My understanding, not yet verified by me, is that the system has been modified since the original 2018 introduction so that a bad Aux battery will not prevent the truck from running.

Otherwise, yes, a jumper between the Main and Aux batteries would get it running. It would be necessary to turn off ESS with the dash button, as an ESS event could cause the computers to reboot, which would stall the truck.
When the aux battery is tested prior to a cold start, if it can't sufficiently power the system electronics, the electronics shutdown. On the 2018 JLs, the test was repeated every starting attempt so a bad aux battery would strand you. Starting with 2019, once the aux battery fails the test ESS is disabled and not tested anymore until the error is reset.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When the aux battery is tested prior to a cold start, if it can't sufficiently power the system electronics, the electronics shutdown. On the 2018 JLs, the test was repeated every starting attempt so a bad aux battery would strand you. Starting with 2019, once the aux battery fails the test ESS is disabled and not tested anymore until the error is reset.
This feature must have been designed by the Italians. Pure idiocy. And I'm Italian American. ha.

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
I'm getting confused reading the 1st part and last part of that. On a 2019+ from a cold start, will a dead aux battery let you start?

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I'm getting confused reading the 1st part and last part of that. On a 2019+ from a cold start, will a dead aux battery let you start?
No. It doesn't matter what year it is. If the Aux is dead the vehicle will not start.

Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, but rarely is it just the aux bad, most of the time both batteries are drained. Or as described in this post https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...l-battery-system-operation.44028/#post-729742 , sometimes a fuse gets blown and you need a jumper to the N1 terminal to bypass the blown fuse and get power to the system electronics.

Both my 2018 JL with the firmware update and my 2020 JT will start with with the aux battery disconnected after an initial failure of the aux battery test disables ESS and further aux battery testing.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, but rarely is it just the aux bad, most of the time both batteries are drained. Or as described in this post https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...l-battery-system-operation.44028/#post-729742 , sometimes a fuse gets blown and you need a jumper to the N1 terminal to bypass the blown fuse and get power to the system electronics.

Both my 2018 JL with the firmware update and my 2020 JT will start with with the aux battery disconnected after an initial failure of the aux battery test disables ESS and further aux battery testing.
I will disagree with you from personal experience of my JT as well as two friends' JTs and multiple JL's. Main battery was fine but aux was dead (tested both batteries every time). My Aux died 4 times in three months but the stock battery had more than enough juice to start up.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Be aware that the negative cables were changed at some point. At the negative battery terminal, what used to be the aux battery cable is now the body ground cable. Disconnecting that cable used to just disconnect the aux battery, now it disconnects both.
underhood cable change.PNG
So what would happen if a guy eliminated the Aux negative cable entirely, and then transferred the Aux positive wires over to Main positive? So, N1 and N2 (and maybe N3) are all going to Main battery positive?

Would that successfully remove the Aux battery from the equation, or would the PCM blow the whistle and call a 10 yard penalty on the offense?

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will disagree with you from personal experience of my JT as well as two friends' JTs and multiple JL's. Main battery was fine but aux was dead (tested both batteries every time). My Aux died 4 times in three months but the stock battery had more than enough juice to start up.
With a properly operating system, both batteries are in parallel all the time except during an ESS event, so batteries tend to go dead together. It's still possible for the aux battery to fail internally in a way that it has low power output and won't discharge the main battery, but that is not typical.

What ended up being the problem/fix with yours? It sounds like the N3 fuse blew as described in the post I linked to.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what would happen if a guy eliminated the Aux negative cable entirely, and then transferred the Aux positive wires over to Main positive? So, N1 and N2 (and maybe N3) are all going to Main battery positive?

Would that successfully remove the Aux battery from the equation, or would the PCM blow the whistle and call a 10 yard penalty on the offense?
That's probably the most common way people eliminate the aux battery. That's how the Genesis dual battery system eliminates the small aux battery - moving the aux battery positive cables to the main battery.

This thread discusses leaving the aux in place as an emergency spare. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ess-dual-battery-management.60034/

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With a properly operating system, both batteries are in parallel all the time except during an ESS event, so batteries tend to go dead together. It's still possible for the aux battery to fail internally in a way that it has low power output and won't discharge the main battery, but that is not typical.

What ended up being the problem/fix with yours? It sounds like the N3 fuse blew as described in the post I linked to.
No fuses were blown/popped in the 6+ vehicles where this occurred from my personal experience. The aux battery had an extremely low voltage yet the main battery was fine (lower than normal but not low enough to not start). For my JT, each aux battery failed internally.

I have no issues now as I have the dual batt genesis kit. I wanted to make sure the system in the JT was not the issue, so I made sure to let the truck sit for multiple different time periods and test both batteries to see if there was any drain. There was not.

On some of the other vehicles my friends own they had the same issue: Aux battery failed and vehicle would not start.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That's probably the most common way people eliminate the aux battery. That's how the Genesis dual battery system eliminates the small aux battery - moving the aux battery positive cables to the main battery.

This thread discusses leaving the aux in place as an emergency spare. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ess-dual-battery-management.60034/
That's what I'm thinking. So does N3 need to be in the equation? Send it to main positive also, right?

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No fuses were blown/popped in the 6+ vehicles where this occurred from my personal experience. The aux battery had an extremely low voltage yet the main battery was fine (lower than normal but not low enough to not start). For my JT, each aux battery failed internally.

I have no issues now as I have the dual batt genesis kit. I wanted to make sure the system in the JT was not the issue, so I made sure to let the truck sit for multiple different time periods and test both batteries to see if there was any drain. There was not.

On some of the other vehicles my friends own they had the same issue: Aux battery failed and vehicle would not start.
If the Genesis kit was the fix for yours, it could still have been a bad N3 fuse or a bad ESS relay (PCR). The Genesis kit bypasses those. What was the fix for the other vehicles?

Here's a diagram that show's the battery connections. The main battery is connected to the aux battery and system electronics through the PCR and N3 high capacity fuse. As long as that circuit and ground cables are intact, the batteries are in parallel and will maintain the same voltage.

Jeep Gladiator Dead Gladiator 1637765907763

Last edited:

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the Genesis kit was the fix for yours, it could still have been a bad N3 fuse or a bad ESS relay (PCR). The Genesis kit bypasses those. What was the fix for the other vehicles?

Here's a diagram that show's the battery connections. The main battery is connected to the aux battery and system electronics through the PCR and N3 high capacity fuse. As long as that circuit and ground cables are intact, the batteries are in parallel and will maintain the same voltage.

Jeep Gladiator Dead Gladiator 1637765907763

I'm
Couldn't say about the PCR personally, although my trusted mechanic and my dealership confirmed the PCR was good. N3 is/was fine.

Two of the others got the genesis kit as well (they were planning on it anyway lol) and the rest just kept going and getting the aux battery replaced until the issue stopped.

There are reports for the first 8ish months of bad aux batteries for the JT. I just didnt want to deal with it anymore and wanted the dual kit to begin with like I have in my JK and TJ

Okudama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Dang, just ran into this post from a couple of years back. That must've been a real downer, getting stranded like that with the whole crew. Major kudos to your mom for being the real MVP that day. Tech glitches can be such a curveball, especially when you least expect it. Hope your Gladiator's been treating you better since then. And that wait for roadside assistance back then? Oof. If you ever need a reliable towing service (or know someone who does), might be worth having a look at https://carrollton-towing.com in your back pocket. The word is they're pretty solid.
Sponsored

Last edited: