Dead 2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel

dstephns

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 1966 Sunbeam Tiger
It does appear that the aux battery is marginal in some JT's. I've had my JTR for a little over a year and a couple of months ago my ESS stayed in a constant charging mode and I could not use it. Since I use it rarely anyway, I waited until I needed an oil/filter change and took it in letting them know that I had a minor problem with the aux battery. They replaced the aux, but in the process also noticed that my main battery had issues too. I was unaware of the main battery issue as the JT always started and acted normal. Dealership replaced that too. Working fine now.
Now, I try to do a 20-mile drive with my dog every other day or so to get us out of the house because of the pandemic. Also keeps both batteries charged up (hopefully). Other than that my
JTR has been great and I love it. Always sorry to hear some people have issues with theirs. With as many JT's as they manufacture a few bad ones are bound to slip through QC. It just sucks when it
happens to you personally.
Dave
Sponsored

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler TJ, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
I have a 2021 Rubicon eco-diesel. No issues with batteries, but mine leaks incredibly bad around the freedom panels/hardtop and front doors. This past weekend, came out to go somewhere and my front passenger floorboard was soaking wet. I think the sticker on mine with something around $67K so I can understand your frustration! Thereā€™s some quality control issues.

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
I have a 2021 Rubicon eco-diesel. No issues with batteries, but mine leaks incredibly bad around the freedom panels/hardtop and front doors. This past weekend, came out to go somewhere and my front passenger floorboard was soaking wet. I think the sticker on mine with something around $67K so I can understand your frustration! Thereā€™s some quality control issues.
I've owned 8 Jeeps in total and every single one leaked every now and then. Not a single one ever stayed completely dry

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I've owned 8 Jeeps in total and every single one leaked every now and then. Not a single one ever stayed completely dry
Mine too. The Freedom panels on my JK are temperamental and need to be installed correctly; if I don't ensure the seals are sitting properly, it leaks.

I also just pulled out the rear tray and the jack storage area had about two inches of water in it. Thankfully there is a drain plug, but I can't tell where it is coming in. I'll just check it more frequently to ensure it stays dry(ish).

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
this post make me go out and charge my battery! it did show 78% health.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
It does appear that the aux battery is marginal in some JT's. I've had my JTR for a little over a year and a couple of months ago my ESS stayed in a constant charging mode and I could not use it. Since I use it rarely anyway, I waited until I needed an oil/filter change and took it in letting them know that I had a minor problem with the aux battery. They replaced the aux, but in the process also noticed that my main battery had issues too. I was unaware of the main battery issue as the JT always started and acted normal. Dealership replaced that too. Working fine now.
Now, I try to do a 20-mile drive with my dog every other day or so to get us out of the house because of the pandemic. Also keeps both batteries charged up (hopefully). Other than that my
JTR has been great and I love it. Always sorry to hear some people have issues with theirs. With as many JT's as they manufacture a few bad ones are bound to slip through QC. It just sucks when it
happens to you personally.
Dave
Honestly the best bet is just to rip that garbage Mopar battery out and stick something better in it. Then again, warranty, so I didn't bother on my JL.

I hear you on the drives to nowhere. Only thing that keeps me sane right now.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
When I had my JL in non stop rain I had absolutely no leaks. That's pretty bad. But then again, my brand new JT was missing a push pin on the front driver side fender liner and nearly ripped off the entire liner on the highway with 100 miles on it. So yes, def. QC issues.

Little surprised though it leaks in so many areas. I would def. take that in and complain as even though some leak here and there, that's excessive and not normal.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
The problem with manufacturing today is that robots donā€™t know when the part/piece is not correctly installed/attached. All of their programming assumes a 100% success rate.

OP
OP

MTgladiator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator ecodiesel
Occupation
yes
Great Discussion, I'll update if anything new comes up. Will be picking it up today for round 2. Hope its a 10year run :). Just want to make sure if anyone else runs into to this thing, they will have a starting point. Any easy way to shut off that program that shuts the engine down when you stop in traffic? I can just see being in traffic and having a dead Jeep.

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
Mine too. The Freedom panels on my JK are temperamental and need to be installed correctly; if I don't ensure the seals are sitting properly, it leaks.

I also just pulled out the rear tray and the jack storage area had about two inches of water in it. Thankfully there is a drain plug, but I can't tell where it is coming in. I'll just check it more frequently to ensure it stays dry(ish).
I pulled the plugs and threw them out :rock:

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Great Discussion, I'll update if anything new comes up. Will be picking it up today for round 2. Hope its a 10year run :). Just want to make sure if anyone else runs into to this thing, they will have a starting point. Any easy way to shut off that program that shuts the engine down when you stop in traffic? I can just see being in traffic and having a dead Jeep.
There is a button on the dash that disables the ESS. The button has to be pressed every time the vehicle is started. There are also multiple options for devices that plug in under the dash to disable ESS.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Being an Ecodiesel is irrelevant. If your dealership service department is half way competent, they should be able to narrow down where the parasitic draw is coming from.
Eh I dunno if you've tried chasing parasitic draws in a modern vehicle but I definitely spent more hours than I'm proud to admit on some vehicles and 12v electrical was my specialty to the point the work came straight to me in a 30 man shop. All these computers make it significantly worse than it used to be because it's not as simple as key off means off.

Gulf_coasterHTX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Subaru Ascent, '21 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
In regard to a programmer, the Tazer JL was first to market, and sure programmer wise, the choice of "most" JL/JLU/JT owner's... if they need a programmer.

For someone that just wants to deal with ESS and states as much, (the guy I replied to) I spew, the SmartStopStart unit (it is not a programmer) as it was the first to market in regard to a device that again, deals solely with ESS.

Trivia: The Tazer JL could not deal with ESS until months after it hit the market... and at first did poor job doing that. Even now, the Tazer JL in regard to dealing with ESS, hiccups on occasion. The StartStopStart never hiccups..
Just bought one for my eco diesel! Honestly I like the start stop for longer stops, but when I stop for a stop sign and it cuts off for 1/10 of a second itā€™s like fingernails on a blackboard for me, awesome to find an easy, reliable, low risk way to deal with it

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Woke up to go to work, and the new Jeep is dead. Has 1021 miles on it. Everything up to now was great and I love the Jeep. Finally a jeep with a diesel.
So far, I have a couple hours getting Jeep to Tow it to a nearby dealer (80 miles away). Another hour, talking to the dealer about what happened. Basically, when I came out to start the Jeep, not even a light flashed for the unlock on the doors. Completely dead battery. I wondered if I left something on, but could see anything, then I wonder if this battery was just bad?

Anyway Chrysler Central arranged a tow, and it was dropped off at dealer. Called the dealer, and they had no idea the jeep was coming to them. So I told my story again, and said I thought it was just a bad battery. They thought so too.

Anyway they needed to attach so fancy computer testing thing to the battery so they can get paid for the service they are doing. After 3 hours, the battery tests good. Then, after the Jeep boots up(jeeze, I never thought I would say that) they verify a constant 3 amp draw on the battery. The troubleshooting begins. More story to come.

Just not a real good way to start out with a pricey brand new vehicle. I have never had trouble on any other vehicle, so soon. Contrasting, I still own a Chevy Colorado diesel, 4 years old, 62K, not one problem.

Anyone else have a dead or slowly dying Ecodiesel?
Have your concerns been resolved at this time, MTgladiator21? If not, we would be happy to assist you further. Send us a private message at your earliest convenience.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored