Sponsored

Dealer will not honor warranty wants to change my transmission without submitting for warranty

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
If I am going down a hill and am gaining speed - if I apply the brake just right then let up, it downshifts and slows. Lots of hills here so I see the effects every so often. Towing it's even more pronounced in those times.
The first time I actually noticed engine breaking was while using cruise control in the hills of PA. Set it to 50mph and while going down hill decided to just let the engine work and see. Sure enough it down shifted and kept me near 50mph.
Sponsored

OP
OP

J_0ne

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I have a odd feeling I am about this dealership. First the service advisor tells me if he submits for warranty they are going to write off (void) the hole vehicle warranty beacuse of the lift and tires, but if I buy and install the transmission with them them for 10k I will get 36mo/5yrs on the trany even with all the mods???
so which one is it?
Can that promise be keept?🤔

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have a odd feeling I am about this dealership. First the service advisor tells me if he submits for warranty they are going to write off (void) the hole vehicle warranty beacuse of the lift and tires, but if I buy and install the transmission with them them for 10k I will get 36mo/5yrs on the trany even with all the mods???
so which one is it?
That would likely be a dealer warranty - can they promise it would apply to any USA Jeep dealership - in writing?
Even at that - meh, I don't trust 'em.

JMJ52876

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Medical Biller/Collection
I spoke with my dealership about this before doing my lift and tires. I asked "how far is too far?", he replied "we don't care". My service guy knows 90% of Jeeps in our area in Texas get completely modified. They get paid regardless. For example, my old JK did not have a single mopar part left under the Jeep, they had no problem with warranty work. It was on 37's. They even replaced my front drive shaft with a Metalcloak 3.5 Game changer installed.

I can't say if what they do is honest towards Jeep warranty services, but who is going to call and say their Jeep is on 40s with dana 60s, lifted 6 inches and complain they fixed their issue for free?

What I'm getting at is, some dealerships don't like doing warranty work and will tell you something crazy, as they did to you, to get out of doing it. Go somewhere else and get it checked out.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I spoke with my dealership about this before doing my lift and tires. I asked "how far is too far?", he replied "we don't care". My service guy knows 90% of Jeeps in our area in Texas get completely modified. They get paid regardless. For example, my old JK did not have a single mopar part left under the Jeep, they had no problem with warranty work. It was on 37's. They even replaced my front drive shaft with a Metalcloak 3.5 Game changer installed.

I can't say if what they do is honest towards Jeep warranty services, but who is going to call and say their Jeep is on 40s with dana 60s, lifted 6 inches and complain they fixed their issue for free?

What I'm getting at is, some dealerships don't like doing warranty work and will tell you something crazy, as they did to you, to get out of doing it. Go somewhere else and get it checked out.
One problem with warranty work is the pay - flat rate, or whatever the book, so to speak, says. And diagnosis? They might spend a lot of time figuring out exactly where the trouble is and if Jeep isn't happy or finds no fault with the replaced parts, there may be a "charge back" meaning FCA charges the dealership back for the part they put in your truck for free.
Depends, not all things are investigated for accurate diagnosis - sometimes FCA may say "we don't want it back, trash it" but if they get it back and find no fault........ so it's a risk.
Flat rate no matter how long it actually takes, and if they aren't correct in the initial diagnosis - they may eat the cost of parts as well.
They are much better off doing insurance work or work you ask them to do outside of warranty. They can charge time and materials, or give an estimate they feel safe with.
Makes me wonder if in this case it's $10,000 because they know if they get a different transmission in and it's still goofy, they can still afford a bit more time and even replace other stuff - and come out ok.

I never liked warranty work.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
One problem with warranty work is the pay - flat rate, or whatever the book, so to speak, says. And diagnosis? They might spend a lot of time figuring out exactly where the trouble is and if Jeep isn't happy or finds no fault with the replaced parts, there may be a "charge back" meaning FCA charges the dealership back for the part they put in your truck for free.
Depends, not all things are investigated for accurate diagnosis - sometimes FCA may say "we don't want it back, trash it" but if they get it back and find no fault........ so it's a risk.
Flat rate no matter how long it actually takes, and if they aren't correct in the initial diagnosis - they may eat the cost of parts as well.
They are much better off doing insurance work or work you ask them to do outside of warranty. They can charge time and materials, or give an estimate they feel safe with.
Makes me wonder if in this case it's $10,000 because they know if they get a different transmission in and it's still goofy, they can still afford a bit more time and even replace other stuff - and come out ok.

I never liked warranty work.
i was gonna say this earlier but decided not to. its super lame but it is a serious consideration. Thers A lot of techs in various shops who refuse to do warranty work as well. I always did fine and still beat the clock making more money while producing a good product. But so many people these days especially are too lazy for that. Its a terrible thing to say but the truth is most people hste warranty work because its harder for them to make money off of it. And we all know people keep jacking up prices because they want to make more money. Its a negative feedback loop really. a sad reality. Flat rate is great when you can do a job fast and well, but it also encourages less honorable people to cut corners heavily. Its like truckers who are paid by mile and then you see trucks flying down icy roads at 90 so they can buy another quad or motorcycle. Just not a great way to do business imo. But on the flip side with hourly wages plenty of people will just sit there and milk every job. Motivating people to be good workers and produce quality products at a decent pace is a ever challenging aspect of the modern workforce.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Like others have said, go to a different dealer.

I’ve had an FCA/Stellantis dealer refuse to do warranty work here in Houston before. I went 15 minutes up the road to another dealer that did it with ZERO push back or concerns.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
i was gonna say this earlier but decided not to. its super lame but it is a serious consideration. Thers A lot of techs in various shops who refuse to do warranty work as well. I always did fine and still beat the clock making more money while producing a good product. But so many people these days especially are too lazy for that. Its a terrible thing to say but the truth is most people hste warranty work because its harder for them to make money off of it. And we all know people keep jacking up prices because they want to make more money. Its a negative feedback loop really. a sad reality. Flat rate is great when you can do a job fast and well, but it also encourages less honorable people to cut corners heavily. Its like truckers who are paid by mile and then you see trucks flying down icy roads at 90 so they can buy another quad or motorcycle. Just not a great way to do business imo. But on the flip side with hourly wages plenty of people will just sit there and milk every job. Motivating people to be good workers and produce quality products at a decent pace is a ever challenging aspect of the modern workforce.
Flat rate over time isn't a bad thing always, but there's also always that time when a bolt doesn't cooperate or something is in the way or breaks or whatever. I've had it happen. I used to get more done in a day than most, but I've also had those Murphy's law days, having to drill out a bolt, a line just won't come loose, or whatever.

Viper501

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sting Gray Mojave; 2020 Mercedes GLE
Occupation
Ninja
Spot on.👆

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
so which one is it?
That dealership is playing you for a fool. Let me guess, all that nonsense is verbal communication only and no email, text or written words to the effect of what they are trying to pull over on you?

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Ask the sales team for a trade in..... See where that goes!

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
If I am going down a hill and am gaining speed - if I apply the brake just right then let up, it downshifts and slows. Lots of hills here so I see the effects every so often. Towing it's even more pronounced in those times.
I’ll give that a try! I’m about to get regeared to 5:13. Will that have any affect on engine braking hold back?