Debating on a new Gladiator and have some questions

Idlethunder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
If you can find both models, drive a Rubicon and Mojave back to back then make your decision. Both had the options I was looking for, but I went with the Rubicon for two reasons. I live about a mile off the closest paved road and wanted front lockers and because I tow varying loads on different trailers fairly often. Even though those were my top priorities, after driving both models back to back, I came very, very close to ordering the Mojave anyway. Donā€™t get me wrong, the Rubicon is the best fit for me and I am extremely happy with it, but every time I drive down my washboard road, I regret it a little. If it wasnā€™t for the extra towing capacity I need, Iā€™d have gone with a Mojave and probably been just as happy
Sponsored

Dakota Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Gladiator Willys 3.0 Eco Diesel
Occupation
Pro Snipe Hunter
Do you know the price different between a well-optioned willys and a rubi or jave? willys with 8.4 is like 2300 cheaper than a rubi or jave (which has 8.4 standard)

The second you abandon the stripped down mentality of a willys, the savings doesn't justify NOT going for the higher trims
I guess I donā€™t know what you mean exactly by stripped down, my ā€˜21 Willys with the Diesel engine ($4k up charge) with the tow package/ full LED package/ 8.4ā€ monitor /Alpine system with portable speaker behind the seat and sub /Nav/full safety sensor systems/Freedom top, etc was still $2500 less than the Rubicons when I was looking.

Frankly for the price difference to be justified I almost went for the Mojave just to get the 100 mph in 4hi as Iā€™m going to drive 80 on interstate in the Dakotas in the winter for 100 mile stretches so I liked the thought of the suspension and drive train upgrades.

I know Iā€™m never going rock crawling so the Rubicons werenā€™t a good spend of my money.

I got a spray in bed liner, tonneau cover and 5 new Falken tires and still had money in my pocket ( and the eco diesel vs gas engine). Other than axels and upgraded shocks I am never going to need not sure what I was stripped of?

If the ā€˜23 price gap has closed that much, all the better for current buyers.

AirbusDriver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Pilot
If I had the time, I'd have gone with a Sport S and upgraded the suspension, added a locker, etc. However, I'm at a point in life with not a lot of extra time so I went with the Rubicon since it has most of what I want plus some out of the box.

I did upgrade to 35s, added a winch (and 1" front spacer to compensate for the weight) and a locking tonneau cover. With those change it's about perfect for me - I tow, off road and camp. Sure there are some trails I won't hit, but I'm more into exploring than pushing the vehicle to its limit.

Edit: Oh, if you aren't in a rush I'd recommend ordering from a high volume dealer like Gupton. I got 6% of dealer invoice, which was a huge savings and worth waiting slightly over 2 months.
I can't get Gupton to call me back. I've got a text from them for me to approve the text system.. an email but I've called ,texted , email back even tried the chat window and getting frustrated after trying for about 8 days.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Diesel?

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Look at a diesel Rubicon. Hard top or dual top if you can swing it. LED lights, cold weather group, switches are nice.

Sponsored

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
Rubicon is the "Ready to Race" model if you have ever looked at RC trucks/cars. Lockers check, 4.10 check, slight lift check. I use my lockers often enough and I didn't have to hem and haw over which after market model/brand, should I install, should someone else install etc. I am still debating on a 2" lift and 37" tires but I like the ease of getting in and out now at current stock height. Kids are 2 very tall for their age 15 & 12 girls, zero issues with comfort.

NY, upstate and northern has some awesome areas for camping and off road, same with MA, VT and NH. The Rubicon will fit right in.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Get the Mojave - it is a premium vehicle and more versatile than Rubi (meaning it will perform a little better over a wider # of terrain types). Although Rubi is an awesome world class (stock) vehicle, it is optimized for serious rock-climbing. Doesn't sound like you/family do a lot of this per se...The Mojave is (arguably of course) the best riding gladiator (overall) both on and off road. It does 90% of what a Rubi can do on the rocks too if you ever need it.

Depends on what you want to optimize for, so alternatively, if I am reading your original post wrong, and it is indeed the "Rocks" and want the Rubi, I certainly think that would be best for you.

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
Unless you plan on off roading and using the lockers a rubi may be spending extra $ on stuff you dont wont / need.

Its an expensive vehicle so trying to loointo the future a bit would benefit you.

Do you intend to tow?
do you intend to run sand dunes?
do you want the most high end feeling ride?
do you intend to strip it bare and build a crawler? (mall crawler or otherwise)
Do you demand a manual? Or automatic?
gas or diesel?

I honestly think a well equipped sport will serve most everyones needs without the added markup of a rubi.

if you intend to tow a camper at all id suggest the rubi or a sport s w/ max tow so you get the best tow/cargo combo there is in the lineup.
Exactly. I bout my fully loaded sport s for $43,000. Now I can (and am) making it a rubicon but better and for the same or maybe a little less. There is always this option too.

skindata

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Assembly Technician
Personally, I went with the Mojave and waited until the Gobi color came back out. Iā€™m probably not going to be rock crawling, but I do like high speed off roading so it fits with what I want. I have no need for a lift as of right now, and when the tires get worn out I can put a set of 35ā€™s on it and not have to worry about rubbing and get the benefit of higher ground clearance.

One thing I did make sure I wanted though was the LED light package. The stock LEDā€™s are amazing for night driving. My wife has a 2021 JLU pretty much bare, the only feature she has is the LEDā€™s and thatā€™s what got me to get them. Now I donā€™t have to worry about adding aftermarket bulbs, itā€™s just something I donā€™t have to fret about.

Itā€™s big enough to haul my Honda ATV when we go on trips with our two young girls, and roomy enough for me to still drive comfortably with a fully loaded cabin. (6ā€™5, seat as far back as it goes without me having to adjust it ever now)

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I can't get Gupton to call me back. I've got a text from them for me to approve the text system.. an email but I've called ,texted , email back even tried the chat window and getting frustrated after trying for about 8 days.
Have you reached out to @GuptonJeep ? Or tried @spenchey ?

Sponsored

chadinsc

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 jku rubicon
Occupation
manufacturing
if you were considering a tacoma also i would think any gladiator will meet your off road needs. also if you want to keep it stock i think the mojave is the way to go. and i own a rubicon

AirbusDriver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Pilot
Have you reached out to @GuptonJeep ? Or tried @spenchey ?
No they assigned me David Carson. He sent me an email that he tried to contact me unsuccessfully but it seems computer generated and doesn't respond to any text or phone calls or emails. I'll try your emails thanks.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
I'm in a similar boat, but I'm looking at optioning out a Sport S Max Tow with a bunch of goodies (Cold Weather, Aux Switches, LED, 8.4", etc). It came out to around $7K under a Rubicon. I'm sitting tight on ordering until probably beginning of the year at this rate. I think I want to hold off for a Punkn.

Fact is, the Rubicon has all the factory goodies that will satisfy the overwhelming majority of Jeep owners. But it isn't the end all be all. Like others have said, if you don't need lockers or sway disconnects, aside from the luxury items it comes standard with it doesn't seem to have any real value. I'm not a rock crawler, my off roading is Assateague Island and fire roads.

The deal breaker for me is the lowered payload capacity and towing rating on the Rubicon. I don't have much more than a utility trailer and a stalled M416 off road trailer project at the moment. Granted, they'll never approach max towing capacity but I may add a small boat down the road. Because I tend to keep my trucks until the wheels fall off, I can justify the price but want to make sure I'm optioning it out right.

amoyer_01

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Willys
I'm in a similar boat, but I'm looking at optioning out a Sport S Max Tow with a bunch of goodies (Cold Weather, Aux Switches, LED, 8.4", etc). It came out to around $7K under a Rubicon. I'm sitting tight on ordering until probably beginning of the year at this rate. I think I want to hold off for a Punkn.

Fact is, the Rubicon has all the factory goodies that will satisfy the overwhelming majority of Jeep owners. But it isn't the end all be all. Like others have said, if you don't need lockers or sway disconnects, aside from the luxury items it comes standard with it doesn't seem to have any real value. I'm not a rock crawler, my off roading is Assateague Island and fire roads.

The deal breaker for me is the lowered payload capacity and towing rating on the Rubicon. I don't have much more than a utility trailer and a stalled M416 off road trailer project at the moment. Granted, they'll never approach max towing capacity but I may add a small boat down the road. Because I tend to keep my trucks until the wheels fall off, I can justify the price but want to make sure I'm optioning it out right.

I think you are going the right direction. I do not tow but use my truck as a truck, I have a Willys trim not the stripped down Willys Sport. I got mine in Hertiage Owings Mill and got it way under cost back in March of 21. Though it is a manual so they might have been trying to get it off the lot to replace with an auto. Since you are in that area (I am in Richmond) might be worth a look at what they have.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
I think you are going the right direction. I do not tow but use my truck as a truck, I have a Willys trim not the stripped down Willys Sport. I got mine in Hertiage Owings Mill and got it way under cost back in March of 21. Though it is a manual so they might have been trying to get it off the lot to replace with an auto. Since you are in that area (I am in Richmond) might be worth a look at what they have.
That's why I'm more or less going to order from the factory. I can get exactly what I want.

I checked with Gupton and got a decent enough price to justify flying in and road tripping back to Baltimore. My biggest concern is what I will need to do on this end to register in the Democratic People's Republic of Maryland.
Sponsored