Sponsored

Diagnose this engine tick/rattle, I paypal you 5$!

OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
So I threw my tie over my shoulder to check to see if it was that valve. It wasn't. However, I popped open the hood, and tried to get the rattle going in drive, and set the parking brake. Didn't work. But in so doing, I looked through the opening between the hood and cowl, and saw the power steering fluid reservoir dancing around like it was 1982. I think that's the cause of the rattle/tapping. The reservoir was bouncing around inside its bracket. I tried to shove a receipt in there to baffle it and see if it did the trick. It didn't silence it, but I think I might have located the issue.

I need two people to isolate the sound, it's only there in drive and stopped. BUT... I think I might have found it. I'll poke around more when I get off work and out of my suit&tie.

Installing the AUX switches made me move those items around a bit. Perhaps something isn't as tight as it needs to be, or something broke. We'll see, but this is promising!
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
So I threw my tie over my shoulder to check to see if it was that valve. It wasn't. However, I popped open the hood, and tried to get the rattle going in drive, and set the parking brake. Didn't work. But in so doing, I looked through the opening between the hood and cowl, and saw the power steering fluid reservoir dancing around like it was 1982. I think that's the cause of the rattle/tapping. The reservoir was bouncing around inside its bracket. I tried to shove a receipt in there to baffle it and see if it did the trick. It didn't silence it, but I think I might have located the issue.

I need two people to isolate the sound, it's only there in drive and stopped. BUT... I think I might have found it. I'll poke around more when I get off work and out of my suit&tie.

Installing the AUX switches made me move those items around a bit. Perhaps something isn't as tight as it needs to be, or something broke. We'll see, but this is promising!
You could probably find a homeless guy to sit in there and hold the brake for $5 while you listen...
Never mind..

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Maybe you are just now realizing you bought a diesel? Mine makes similar noises lol.. keep the $5 .. might need it for the next tank of fuel.

good luck on the search šŸ‘

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Well. I feel like an idiot. The cover for my aux relays popped off somehow. Take a look and see if you can see what was rattling...
Jeep Gladiator Diagnose this engine tick/rattle, I paypal you 5$! 80D53204-3DAB-4B7B-9C89-8D94E7B11DC8
Jeep Gladiator Diagnose this engine tick/rattle, I paypal you 5$! 1EE0525C-2EE3-4F24-96DF-EED98530F3B3

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Well. I feel like an idiot. The cover for my aux relays popped off somehow. Take a look and see if you can see what was rattling...
80D53204-3DAB-4B7B-9C89-8D94E7B11DC8.jpeg
1EE0525C-2EE3-4F24-96DF-EED98530F3B3.jpeg
Glad to hear you found it, thanks for closing the loop. I'd say you owe @Renegade $5, or at least a beer for his efforts :beer:

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I've recently been noticing a very annoying ticking/rattling/knocking/tapping sound coming from my engine area. It's become more noticeable when it's cold, and seems to sometimes mitigate as the engine warms up, or if it's warmer outside. It is not any trim pieces from what I can tell. I can only best describe the sound as that old school telegraph machine relaying a morse code-- completely irregular, but in quick succession and constant. If you tap a single finger quickly on your desk, repeatedly and consistently, it sounds quite like that.

The sound is most present in "drive", with a foot on the brake. Shifting into park, nuetral, and reverse either completely eliminates it, or reduces the volume of the tapping by about 90%. I'm on my third vehicle with this pentastar engine, and this is not the usual noisy chatter the engine makes at idle. It's definitely not as intended. My guess is a loose rocker arm. My only hesitation is that because it goes away by shifting into a different gear, the sound might be coming from somewhere else.

S0-- if it's something not inside the engine, and you help me diagnose it, I'll paypal you some money! Any suggestions?

:)
Is this concern still present, Bonanza? If so, send our team a private message, we would be happy to discuss further with you.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Is this concern still present, Bonanza? If so, send our team a private message, we would be happy to discuss further with you.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Thanks for replying, but it was just the relay box cap that got loose and was vibrating against the intake manifold. I popped it back on and the issue is solved!

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Thanks for replying, but it was just the relay box cap that got loose and was vibrating against the intake manifold. I popped it back on and the issue is solved!
Oh! Glad to hear that, Bonanza! Thanks for letting us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored