Sponsored

Diamondback HD Mounts - Crushing side rails!

GreenZJ

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR....Jeep #10
Your spare tire looks like its 60" in the 1st pic. Perspective can be a crazy thing.
I didn’t notice that till you said something. Now I can’t unsee it 😂
Sponsored

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
When my new bed rail caps get here, I’ll have to take everything back off and install the spacers.
Did you end up installing the new bed rail caps with spacers?

Last year I tried putting the spacers in while retaining the original caps. I didn’t do a great job in removing the rail caps nor placing the spacers and ended up making the water intrusion a bit worse.

Do you know if the clips circled in red came with the rail caps? I snapped a few of those off in my low-quality effort…

Jeep Gladiator Diamondback HD Mounts - Crushing side rails! F7B3A286-B221-462E-A9EC-B0A3FF03D9A0

Jeep Gladiator Diamondback HD Mounts - Crushing side rails! 888AAF99-F333-4497-BD23-E5D544D9C234

Jeep Gladiator Diamondback HD Mounts - Crushing side rails! B09B744D-E1FE-49D8-9BAB-A158D0DC5763

Jeep Gladiator Diamondback HD Mounts - Crushing side rails! F167B26F-77B5-44CF-BF34-2BD4558913CE

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
Reviving an old thread…

I got my diamondback HD after they started including the bed rail cap addendum and spacers. I haven’t really noticed any major deformation there. However, after a year of use, I’m seeing a different issue. On my vehicle, the clamps grab the inside of the trail rail pulling it up against the underside of the bed. Normally there’s a 1/4-1/2 inch gap between the trail rail and the top inner edge of the bed. As it gets pulled up tighter against the bed and begins to deform the trail rail, the bolts for the Diamondback get looser. It’s also pulling the trail rail in a slight arc rather than straight up, so the bottom edge of the rail is being pulled away from the bed. I’m concerned that the DB is going to pull the trail rail away from the side of the bed completely. Honestly, I’ve never been keen on how this fits together, but I’m wondering if I have a catastrophic failure in the making.

There’s a couple of things that partially mitigate this. First, the trail rail bolts are tight. Second, the spacing of the trail rail is good fore and aft of the Diamondback’s clamps. Third, the Diamondback can’t really rotate because it’s locked and the locking rods hold against the trail rail at the ends. I’d be a lot more concerned if the entire lengths of the trail rails appeared compromised.

All that being said, has anyone else seen this specific issue, and has anyone contacted and gotten word back from Diamondback about it? I’m thinking of placing some additional HDPE or rubber spacers between the top of the trail rails and the inner underside side of the bed side to see if I can mitigate this further.
Sponsored