Sponsored

Did I screw up and buy the wrong truck?

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
So, I’m 57 years old and just bought my first Jeep… and in fact, my first 4x4.

I didn’t do enough homework before buying and bought a “Sport S” trim and just realized that the thing has open diffs front and rear. I pulled my build sheet and it says “conventional differentials” on both ends. I don’t plan to do any serious off-roading… no rock climbing or deep mudding, and I live in SC, so no deep snow… but I DO plan to do SOME… like forest service roads in the NC mountains and some mild “Jeep trails”, so I will encounter some steep/slippery hills and some water crossings and mud. I plan to upgrade the tires to something a little more aggressive that the basically street tires that came on the thing.

I don’t think I need lockers, but I would have expected any 4x4 that costs this much - especially a JEEP - to have at least “limited slip” diffs as standard equipment! Even my last truck - a base model 2009 2WD Toyota Tacoma that cost less than $14k brand new had a limited slip rear diff. Now, it was an automatic brake-actuated limited slip rather than a mechanical/clutch pack unit, but still… better than just an open diff! Do I even have that in this Jeep? I guess I can get the same effect by giving it some brake myself while also giving it some throttle and trying to move forward if (when) I get stuck.

Loving this truck otherwise, but the open diffs are a pretty big disappointment. Am I going to get stuck in even just a little bit of mud? Is it possible/easy/practical to upgrade my diffs to limited slip? Did I totally screw up and buy the wrong truck - or will it be ok?
Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
It’s an option, but it’s not standard. I have it on my Sport S. Sorry about that. I don’t think most Sport S have it, and they get along fine.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s also very possible to upgrade, though I don’t k ow the cost. If you’re planning to regear for bigger tires, you can do both at the same time to remove a LOT of labor cost.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Now, it was an automatic brake-actuated limited slip rather than a mechanical/clutch pack unit, but still… better than just an open diff! Do I even have that in this Jeep?
Sounds a lot like brake lock differential (BLD) which is standard on all of our trucks.

I have open diffs and 33" MTs from a Rubicon and have faired well on the trails. I mainly stick to greens but I've been through puddles and mud and been fine. The only I've gotten stuck was on the beach and it was driver error. I took way too sharp of a turn and still has traction control on. I've found it best to turn that off on the beach while in 4H. I was able to dig myself out and use traction boards so was unstuck in maybe 10 mins.

I've mulled over lockers or adding a limited slip, but I agree with the above. I may just get a winch for if/when I get stuck and be able to use it for other things as well.

Sponsored

JustinLentz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Mojave RIP: 20JT 09jk, 03jgc, 97tj, 95yj, 73cj
Occupation
Operations Coordinator
I've owned a lot of Jeeps and wheeled them all, through many types of conditions with all having open diffs. My 2009JK and now the Mojave are the only 2 that have had some sort of locking diffs. I've never really used the lockers on either unless it was ultimately necessary. I have a winch and recovery tools just in case but you will be fine.

JackalopeSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I do more rock crawling and have for may years with TJ's to the JK and now with my JT and 90-95% of the time on the hard stuff I run open diffs and only use the lockers when its on the harry side. If you disconnect and air down with the ground clearance you need for the trials you want to run you will be able to do enough to get your blood pumping...The Gladiator is VERY capable. Congrats!!! and enjoy the ride and if you want to take the harder trails then add a locker or two.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
You will be fine with the 8 speed auto and modern traction control.

tires and airing them down will be a huge benefit for traction. My favorite have been BFG At KOs but there are other AT’s that will work. Having recovery gear to include a winch is always my go to.
I’ve driven lots of forest roads in 2 wheel drive without issue. Even muddy trails the gladiator does fine. I attribute that to the traction control, no need to apply the brake. The jeep will do that for you. It locks up the wheel that is spinning and applies the traction to the wheels that are on the ground or that have the traction. I can feel mine working when on slippery road and it is constantly watching wheel slip.
So, you will be fine with your open difs.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMO, the components for traction are, in order:
  1. Good tires
  2. 4x4
  3. Articulation
  4. Lockers or limited slip diffs
Every Gladiator comes with #2 and #3, and #1 is an easy fix. Solve that and you already more off-road capable than 95% of the vehicles on the road. For your use case, “good enough” truly sounds good enough.

OP
OP
Raven65

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies... glad to hear that it does at least have the automatic brake actuated wheel slip control - like my old Taco. I guess that's "Brake Lock Differential (BLD) in Jeep-speak". I feel much better about it now... Thanks again! I'll defintely be upgrading the tires - and I'll add some recovery tools/equipment and an aftermarket front bumper & winch if I start doing anything remotely serious.

Sponsored

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
If you've wheeled true open diff solid axle vehicles in the past vs a modern open diff vehicle with traction control like the JL/JT, the difference is night and day.

I'd say wheel it, tires like you said, it'll probably do what you want. My guess is you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm still surprised what I've seen open diff JKs do when I go wheeling.

Maybe consider a winch Incase you get crossed up on a service road solo.

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
*doesn't do much offroading
*says truck is expensive
*didn't pay attention to trim levels
*doesn't think he will need lockers
*disappointed truck doesn't have lockers

:giggle:

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
I promise for 99.9% of what you will be doing 4hi likely wont be needed the rear wheel traction control will manage most issues for your use. Stock tires will limiting factor.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
So, I’m 57 years old and just bought my first Jeep… and in fact, my first 4x4.

I didn’t do enough homework before buying and bought a “Sport S” trim and just realized that the thing has open diffs front and rear. I pulled my build sheet and it says “conventional differentials” on both ends. I don’t plan to do any serious off-roading… no rock climbing or deep mudding, and I live in SC, so no deep snow… but I DO plan to do SOME… like forest service roads in the NC mountains and some mild “Jeep trails”, so I will encounter some steep/slippery hills and some water crossings and mud. I plan to upgrade the tires to something a little more aggressive that the basically street tires that came on the thing.

I don’t think I need lockers, but I would have expected any 4x4 that costs this much - especially a JEEP - to have at least “limited slip” diffs as standard equipment! Even my last truck - a base model 2009 2WD Toyota Tacoma that cost less than $14k brand new had a limited slip rear diff. Now, it was an automatic brake-actuated limited slip rather than a mechanical/clutch pack unit, but still… better than just an open diff! Do I even have that in this Jeep? I guess I can get the same effect by giving it some brake myself while also giving it some throttle and trying to move forward if (when) I get stuck.

Loving this truck otherwise, but the open diffs are a pretty big disappointment. Am I going to get stuck in even just a little bit of mud? Is it possible/easy/practical to upgrade my diffs to limited slip? Did I totally screw up and buy the wrong truck - or will it be ok?
If this is your first 4wd and you are getting into off roading, it’s going to be fine.

add a rear locker down the road, when you determine your skill and situations justify it.

maybe look to get a winch/bumper for your first mod.

The mention of a Toyota tacoma is funny to me…. The gladiator isn’t a hot rod by any means….. but the tacoma is the most gutless under powered truck I have ever been in.

OP
OP
Raven65

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
start doing anything r
*doesn't do much offroading
*says truck is expensive
*didn't pay attention to trim levels
*doesn't think he will need lockers
*disappointed truck doesn't have lockers

:giggle:
*True - don't do much offroading - never have (except on 2 wheels where I have done PLENTY)
*Truck most definitely IS expensive - thus my expectation that limited slip (not lockers) would be standard equipment.
*DID pay attention to trim levels - decided I didn't need the hardcore offroad equipment of the Rubicon/Mojave (true lockers, disconnecting front swaybar, etc) Didn't need all the "luxury equipment of the Overland, considered a Willys, but ultimately came down to availability. My local dealer had this Sport S with a couple of nice options packages (Popular equipment and Technology packages). Again... assumed (incorrectly) that at least "limited slip diffs were included.
*DON'T need true lockers
*Disappointed that a JEEP 4x4 that stickered for $46k has open diffs, but is sounds like the BLD will be all I need (along with better tires and recovery equipment/winch).

:like:
Sponsored