Diesel on the bucket list, did I miss the boat?

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
Its not reliable stock so how do you figure it will take boost reliably? By the time you make it reliable with a super charger you could have just put a v8 in it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! At the end of the day I just couldn't stomach paying a premium for an 18G tank, reduced towing capacity and near zero modification support. Indeed the Pentastar has been thrown in just about everything over the years but it will also reliably take a blower. That motor's ubiquity also means a forged short-block can be had for less than the premium diesel upgrade. Carillo & Diamond make internals for it and regardless if I were to go beyond slapping an S/C on it, just knowing the support is there is huge for me.

I came into this thinking, THIS time I'm going to finally get a diesel and avoid the remorse I've felt back way back when after not opting for a diesel. Based on your feedback and additional research, I've realized that I'd absolutely regret the diesel. My stomach is already turning at the thought of just how close I was to pulling the trigger on it.

Magnuson's new JT supercharger can be had for 10% off, putting install & tuning right at 6k.

Advertisement

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
I'm spending $3,536 to drop from 285 HP down to 260 HP... but more importantly to increase from 260 LB-FT of torque to 442 LB-FT of torque. Gaining 180 LB-FT of torque, a 70% increase, for $3,563 isn't too bad. I'm spending $18.74 for each LB-FT of torque of increase. How do I figure out my cost? I'm getting an automatic either way, and those transmissions are the same cost. Invoice on the diesel is $3600. I'm paying 8% below that, plus my sales tax, puts me at $3,563.

When you drive a diesel Gladiator, if nobody told you what is different from the Stock 3.6L, your seat of the pants dyno would tell you that you have a lot more HP than the stock 3.6L..., not a loss of 25 HP. But it's not the HP that makes you feel like you are accelerating better, it's the torque.

Can you get close to 442 LB-FT of torque with a supercharged 3.6L? I'm not sure, but if it cost $6K + premium fuel, the larger fuel tank will be needed to get between gas stations. The gas engine will be screaming at 4000 to 5000 RPM as its pulling a heavy load. The diesel will be quiet, running at low RPMs.
Add to that the diesel has a longer factory warranty that will be maintained. People act like the minivan motor is a toyota 22r. Its not reliable as it is so why not at least get a motor that's got a longer warranty, makes a significant amount more power and gets better fuel economy? If most people drove both side by side they would see just how pitiful the 3.6 is. Add larger tires and its a no brainer.

OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Occupation
Software Engineer
Add to that the diesel has a longer factory warranty that will be maintained. People act like the minivan motor is a toyota 22r. Its not reliable as it is so why not at least get a motor that's got a longer warranty, makes a significant amount more power and gets better fuel economy? If most people drove both side by side they would see just how pitiful the 3.6 is. Add larger tires and its a no brainer.
I had no issues with either of our 3.6 motors. The last was our 2016 JKU Rubi. I assumed they've only built upon the great reliability we experienced, of course I could be wrong, ours were quite bullet-proof. It was a dog though and I would have gone F/I with it had we not taken a hiatus from Jeep for a 4Runner (also a dog but a fun break).

@Oilburner - I've spoken to many on the JK/JKU side and ridden in a few. My ignorance on the diesel side, which led to my original questions regarding the modification on this platform, seems to have plucked a string on what appears to be a heated this vs. that debate.

If I were a diesel owner and someone asked me today, if the good old days of easily & reliably doubling your torque while adding 30%-ish horsepower are gone, and they were, it would piss me off unless I hadn't ever experienced those days and truly purchased my modern diesel to more efficiently tow loads. The thing is that hasn't happened. Why?

The feedback from those who have experienced modding diesel's a decade or more ago is (unanimously) to avoid new diesels. The feedback from those who haven't, and purchased their modern diesel is, it's fantastic.

I get where you're coming from. I'm not an internet warrior.

Thanks again for the feedback ya'll!

Nitroexpress

First Name
Craig
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1982 Jeep Scrambler Diesel, 2017 Toyota Tacoma, 2017 Ford F-250
My own experiences with tuning older diesels was simply to make them produce the power that I needed for towing. Now that power is available in stock form, with a factory warranty and it satisfies my needs. Again, this was with 1 ton trucks, not cars or small pickups. But to answer your original question, It doesn't seem like those days are over. You can still delete emissions controls and tune up the Tq and Hp, although it's probably waning by way of laws and the OEM locking down or making programming difficult.

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
physician
I have to admit that the 3.6 to me is a great motor, fairly simple, tons of them out there (it has been in wrangler since 2012 and GC's from I think 2014). seem to be very reliable from having owned a few, easy to maintain (easiest oil change I have ever done). As to power/performance maybe I am getting old but this feels like a rocket ship compared to old jeeps I have owned, even turning 35s with 3.73 it is tolerable (although I plan to re-gear).

I would love a diesel and seems like many do like it, I just found a perfectly optioned gas model and couldn't justify diesel with a short commute that I have.

Nitroexpress

First Name
Craig
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1982 Jeep Scrambler Diesel, 2017 Toyota Tacoma, 2017 Ford F-250
I was curious what the Magnuson Supercharged 3.6l gets you and found:
440 HP and 380 TQ
Vs OEM Ecodiesel:
260 HP and 442 TQ

Last edited:

Advertisement

Advertisement