Sponsored

Diesel Performance

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician

I leave this here. Judge as you will. May I suggest around the 15 min mark.
Sponsored

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician

Or this... around 4 min or 8 min or 9 min marks. Sounds like what I'm looking for. 12:25... For God's sake 12:25.

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Is this 3rd gen ecodiesel more difficult and costly to repair or maintain compared to the pentastar 3.6? Is the lack of horse power in the ecodiesel going to be worse for conditions similar to the baja 1000? Running 37s, maybe 35s.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Is this 3rd gen ecodiesel more difficult and costly to repair or maintain compared to the pentastar 3.6? Is the lack of horse power in the ecodiesel going to be worse for conditions similar to the baja 1000? Running 37s, maybe 35s.
Yes, by a long shot. An oil change alone is almost 4x more expensive. And don't look at the costs of repairs out of warranty unless you want to pass out.

For Baja you need horsepower. Gotta spin the tires fast.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Most wanting the JT diesel i believe have never owned a diesel or it`s been awhile. This is the only forum where i see people wanting a diesel truck, go to any truck forum Ford, Chevy, Dodge and diesel owners are looking for a gas alternative and the big news is the Ford 7.3 gas motor.

Don`t let anyone fool you ownership starts out at a premium and continues at a premium with a diesel.

Sponsored

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Yeah this right here I feel is my bottom line. Thanks for steering me back to a v6. I think I am actually going to like it more. If that 7.3 would fit somehow that seems like something to look into for the future.

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
FULL DISCLOSURE - I am coming out of a diesel truck (non Jeep) for the past 9 years and have decided to purchase the 3.6L for this vehicle. That said my diesel hands down was the best towing machine I have ever owned.
It was also the most glitchy daily driver I have ever owned. Over the first 5 years I owned my diesel it was in the shop for non maintenance items 18 times. All but one of these was directly related to the diesel emission system (NoX sensors, DEF pumps, DEF heaters, etc etc). Once the warranty ran out I did a complete delete and added a tuner (roughly $3,500). From that point on ( 4 years) I had zero emissions related issues and only one repair needed (plastic end cap on radiator).
I have no skin in the game as to whether or not someone buys a diesel but I can tell you if you are coming from a gaser and going into a diesel you will experience strange, non repeatable glitches. From my experience over the past 9 years these glitches are directly related to the emissions (thank you EPA)
With all that said I did not wait for the diesel in the Gladiator for three reasons. 1- I could not get the manual 2- You cant or shouldn't tow jack squat with it (compared to 1/2, 3/4 or 1ton) so if you need the towing capabilities you may want to consider something else and last but not least if I want to crawl up a wall I can modify gears etc to accomplish what I want to accomplish without having the diesel torque.
Net/Net why did I share my experience? We seem to have a large group of first time Jeep buyers and I am guessing first time potential diesel buyers. I would advise you to think long and hard about what is really important to you. If torque and great fuel economy are your top priorities by all means buy a diesel. If you are hyper sensitive to every little hiccup, stutter, sputter you may want to stick with gas.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
A good case in point in the brand new TFL video where they test the EcoDiesel AND the new GM Duramax unloaded and loaded. Both trucks lost SIXTY FIVE PERCENT of their MPGs when loaded.

This is what I was trying to say above. If you want something that's going to maintain the most MPGs after installing large tires, or loading up the bed, or hooking on a trailer, the diesel isn't your choice. If you have other wants, then that's fine. Just don't expect that the diesel is going to get 30 MPG on the road turning 37" tires. These modern diesels are extremely sensitive to loads.

I can't think of a single gas engine on the market that loses 65% of it's efficiency when loaded. In fact my Pentastar JT gets better MPG while towing heavy loads than either of the diesels in the TFL video.
And here's another bone to chew on..

The Rubicon and Overland trims have payload ratings between 1,000 and 1,200 lbs, give or take a few. Since the EcoDiesel engine weighs 400 lbs. more than the P-star, that means that FCA will either 1) give the Rubicon and Overland trims diesel payload ratings between 600 and 800 lbs. or 2) find some way to increase GVWR. If they go with #1 that will be completely useless as a pickup truck. Utterly useless. If they go with #2 I'm not sure how they'd pull that off exactly. There's a lot that goes into establishing a GVWR for a truck.

So, while the ENGINE will certainly tow much better than the Pentastar engine, the EcoDiesel truck as a whole will likely end up being severely limited by payload/tongue weight and therefore will end up with very low towing capacity from a legal standpoint.

FULL DISCLOSURE - I am coming out of a diesel truck (non Jeep) for the past 9 years and have decided to purchase the 3.6L for this vehicle. That said my diesel hands down was the best towing machine I have ever owned.
It was also the most glitchy daily driver I have ever owned. Over the first 5 years I owned my diesel it was in the shop for non maintenance items 18 times. All but one of these was directly related to the diesel emission system (NoX sensors, DEF pumps, DEF heaters, etc etc). Once the warranty ran out I did a complete delete and added a tuner (roughly $3,500). From that point on ( 4 years) I had zero emissions related issues and only one repair needed (plastic end cap on radiator).
I have no skin in the game as to whether or not someone buys a diesel but I can tell you if you are coming from a gaser and going into a diesel you will experience strange, non repeatable glitches. From my experience over the past 9 years these glitches are directly related to the emissions (thank you EPA)
With all that said I did not wait for the diesel in the Gladiator for three reasons. 1- I could not get the manual 2- You cant or shouldn't tow jack squat with it (compared to 1/2, 3/4 or 1ton) so if you need the towing capabilities you may want to consider something else and last but not least if I want to crawl up a wall I can modify gears etc to accomplish what I want to accomplish without having the diesel torque.
Net/Net why did I share my experience? We seem to have a large group of first time Jeep buyers and I am guessing first time potential diesel buyers. I would advise you to think long and hard about what is really important to you. If torque and great fuel economy are your top priorities by all means buy a diesel. If you are hyper sensitive to every little hiccup, stutter, sputter you may want to stick with gas.
Yep. Prior to all the emissions controls (from 1900 through about 2002 or so) I would have taken a diesel engine six days a week and twice on Sunday. They were the ONLY way to go. Far superior fuel mileage, gobs of torque, fuel was less expensive, and the engines would go 500,000 miles before any major repair. They were like a Timex watch...you couldn't kill one.

The EPA has destroyed every reason to own a diesel.

MRW

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2012 JK8, 2015 JKUR, 1986 CJ7...........
I bought my first diesel pickup in 1997 and have owned a 2000, 2006, 2012, 2017 and 2018 Ford F250/F350's, all diesel. I also have owned a 2000 GMC 3500 8.1 gas, 2000 and 2008 GMC 2500 6.0 gas. The diesels tow better by far and have been dead reliable for me . Not one engine or trans related failure ( I did get out of the 2006 F250 with the 6.0 powerstroke when signs of problems started). They are more to purchase, cost more to service but get better fuel mileage and you get your money back on resale. I am very interested in the ecodiesel and will drive one as soon as there is a Wranger or a JT on the local dealers lot. I have swapped a 6.4 hemi in my Gladiator already and I am still interested in the diesel. The hemi made a world of difference and I love it but I would not call it fast (or fuel efficient). IF you are on the fence, wait and at least drive one. Chances are you will see a lot of your cost to upgrade when you sell it.

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,

Thank you for being honest.

I would really only need the diesel for fuel economy and engine longevity...I drive 45,000 miles/year- mostly highway. so I could recover the initial costs of the diesel pretty quickly. But I've never owned a diesel and am terrified with the inconvenience factor and annoyance factor of the glitches.

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
What was the year, make and model of your diesel truck?

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
What was the year, make and model of your diesel truck?
My diesel was a model year 2011 that I special ordered and received in December of 2010.

That truck was a first for me....first diesel and first 8' bed (towing 5th wheel). Loved everything about it including the diesel but it was a finicky beast.

We sold the 5'r and went class A so did not need the towing capacity any longer. Couple that with the fact that diesel is always more expensive than gas in my neck of the woods. (Premium is currently $2.88 per gallon and diesel is $2.96 per gallon) and it no longer made sense for me to own a diesel rig.

As I mentioned in my post this is all about weighing your needs and wants and making an informed decision. When they originally announced the Gladiator and rumor had it that it would have a diesel I was going to wait and get the diesel. I was doing this fully aware that it would most likely have some of the same diesel hiccups but I was going into it with eyes wide open. The decision to purchase the 3.6L was made for me when they announced the diesel would not be available with manual transmission as manual was non negotiable for me when deciding to make this purchase.

BTW...the wait for that special order was just as painful as this one!

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thank you for being honest.

I would really only need the diesel for fuel economy and engine longevity...I drive 45,000 miles/year- mostly highway. so I could recover the initial costs of the diesel pretty quickly. But I've never owned a diesel and am terrified with the inconvenience factor and annoyance factor of the glitches.
That is a ton of miles my friend! You may want to buy the diesel, leave it home in the garage and buy a small plane ;)

Seriously, if this is your daily driver and you live in Minnesnowta with me I would also add that over the last 9 years I also had my fuel gel up once. I did not include that fun little tid bit in my original post as it was not an emissions issue cause by the EPA it was a diesel issue caused by 30 flippen below temps. I was running #1 with anti gel additive and my fuel filter gelled up half way to town. If this is your only vehicle, If you don't need/want the low end torque and really putting on 45k per year I would go gas.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: I am not a lobbyist for the gasoline industry but may hold a position in oil based products in one of my investment portfolios. This in no way makes me an expert in these matters. This post is mine and mine alone and is not intended to cause emotional harm to anyone that may choose to read it. I do not say this to be controversial and offend anyone that holds diesel on some pedestal.

Hoping the above keep me out of trouble for sharing my opinion...HA HA

If when we bump into each other at some Jeep thing remind me to tell you about my trip between the cities and LaCrosse WI. It was a typically crappy MN/WI Feb day (snowing like mad and cold as heck) and I had to stop for fuel. I stuck the nozzle in the truck, turned around to grab a pair of gloves from the back seat and when I turned around the hose broke and blew #1 diesel from my belt line to my toes. The rest of the story is the fun stuff.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
My diesel was a model year 2011 that I special ordered and received in December of 2010.

That truck was a first for me....first diesel and first 8' bed (towing 5th wheel). Loved everything about it including the diesel but it was a finicky beast.

We sold the 5'r and went class A so did not need the towing capacity any longer. Couple that with the fact that diesel is always more expensive than gas in my neck of the woods. (Premium is currently $2.88 per gallon and diesel is $2.96 per gallon) and it no longer made sense for me to own a diesel rig.

As I mentioned in my post this is all about weighing your needs and wants and making an informed decision. When they originally announced the Gladiator and rumor had it that it would have a diesel I was going to wait and get the diesel. I was doing this fully aware that it would most likely have some of the same diesel hiccups but I was going into it with eyes wide open. The decision to purchase the 3.6L was made for me when they announced the diesel would not be available with manual transmission as manual was non negotiable for me when deciding to make this purchase.

BTW...the wait for that special order was just as painful as this one!
Since the 2011 model year was the firs year for the most stringent emissions regulations it makes sense that you had a few hiccups along the way. I did not have the same hiccups with my 2011 F550 with the 6.7. Did you have the D-Max? The ONLY thing in didn't like about that truck was the oil drain plug. It was a 1 inch diameter plug that only required 1/4 to remove. First oil change I crawled up under it with my bucket and turned the drain and what seemed like all four gallons of oil came rushing at me soaking me down in used motor oil. It was all over my arm, chest, even some got in my hair and mouth. Next time I was ready but a PSA would have been nice. Now that we are 9-10 years into this system the engineers have had a lot of time to perfect the system and improve reliability. Technology always opens the door up for annoying little stuff to be a constant pain but more often than not the benefits outweigh the problems.

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Since the 2011 model year was the firs year for the most stringent emissions regulations it makes sense that you had a few hiccups along the way. I did not have the same hiccups with my 2011 F550 with the 6.7. Did you have the D-Max? The ONLY thing in didn't like about that truck was the oil drain plug. It was a 1 inch diameter plug that only required 1/4 to remove. First oil change I crawled up under it with my bucket and turned the drain and what seemed like all four gallons of oil came rushing at me soaking me down in used motor oil. It was all over my arm, chest, even some got in my hair and mouth. Next time I was ready but a PSA would have been nice. Now that we are 9-10 years into this system the engineers have had a lot of time to perfect the system and improve reliability. Technology always opens the door up for annoying little stuff to be a constant pain but more often than not the benefits outweigh the problems.
Sorry, I really prefer not to say as I try not to complain about specific products. If I like something I will share it with the world if I dont I will keep the brand/make/model to myself as it could have been a fluke or a just happened to get the Friday night special. For example I have not shared the name of my dealership because they have not met my expectation. I have shared the name of the off-road shop (Zeus) that I am working with as they have done a nice job holding my hand and providing valuable input into my build.
Sponsored