First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I don’t want performance out of a diesel, I want the power to turn 37”+ tires without my mileage plummeting
Sponsored

Reactions: JP1

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
I've heard that dealerships won't even touch your vehicle for any reason if you've done a "delete/chip" for your diesel.

Any thoughts/input?

Pk2abilene

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Cherokee
I've heard that dealerships won't even touch your vehicle for any reason if you've done a "delete/chip" for your diesel.

Any thoughts/input?[/QUOTE

I’ll get as much warranty as I can find on the emission system. First sign of problems once warrant is up and the whole system is coming out. There are a couple diesel shops in town that do much better/cheaper work than the dealership anyway. Dealership routinely takes stuff to them they can’t figure out. Deleting my 6.7 was the best thing I ever did for it.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I don’t want performance out of a diesel, I want the power to turn 37”+ tires without my mileage plummeting
Then you don't want the diesel. High MPG vehicles lose a larger percentage of their fuel efficiency when loaded and lugging than lower MPG vehicles do. That's why a gas V8 pickup might get 15 MPG unloaded but still get 13 MPG loaded. A diesel might get 25 unloaded, but it'll plummet like a rock thrown into the ocean once you load it down. Been there, done that.

Any thoughts/input?
Apparently, the EPA very recently (last month) threw the hammer at tuning companies. From what I've read, there are NO "off road use only" tunes allowed any longer for any reason, even if you are using the truck off road. EVERYTHING tuning companies do from now on must be EPA certified or there will be harsh penalties. It's rumored that several tuning companies will stop operations soon because of this ruling.

You're not even allowed to turn a street truck into a race truck any longer under the new rules. Even if you take license and insurance off the truck and use it 100% off road or on the track, you cannot modify a single EPA emissions control device on the truck. They've really dropped the hammer on this diesel tuning stuff.

Pk2abilene

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Cherokee
Then you don't want the diesel. High MPG vehicles lose a larger percentage of their fuel efficiency when loaded and lugging than lower MPG vehicles do. That's why a gas V8 pickup might get 15 MPG unloaded but still get 13 MPG loaded. A diesel might get 25 unloaded, but it'll plummet like a rock thrown into the ocean once you load it down. Been there, done that.

Apparently, the EPA very recently (last month) threw the hammer at tuning companies. From what I've read, there are NO "off road use only" tunes allowed any longer for any reason, even if you are using the truck off road. EVERYTHING tuning companies do from now on must be EPA certified or there will be harsh penalties. It's rumored that several tuning companies will stop operations soon because of this ruling.

You're not even allowed to turn a street truck into a race truck any longer under the new rules. Even if you take license and insurance off the truck and use it 100% off road or on the track, you cannot modify a single EPA emissions control device on the truck. They've really dropped the hammer on this diesel tuning stuff.
The EPA stuff might be in the pipeline. Especially if you live in certain states. No sign of it here that I’ve seen. A diesel will get bettter MPG and run stronger loaded or unloaded. There is a reason people that pull frequently use them.

Sponsored

PK2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranchero, Triumph Speed Triple, Isuzu Dmax
Hmmmmm not sure how recently you've driven a modern turbo diesel.....

Diesels are hugely popular here in Australia, it's all I've driven for the past 15 years (except for my 74 Ranchero!), even my wife's Mazda CX7 is diesel.
My Isuzu Dmax twin cab averages around 8.8 litres per 100km around town ( around 26.7mpg) and drops to around 10.5 litres per 100 when towing our camper trailer (around 22.4mpg)

Hardly plummeting like a rock........

BreakFixRepeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Mine with a 2.5" lift and 35" mud tires will still run high 6 second 0-60 sprints. It's fun.
I call bull on that. Factory 0-60 times on the 3.6 Gladiator is 8.1 seconds. What did you do to your to make it do high 6s with bigger tires?????

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Then you don't want the diesel. High MPG vehicles lose a larger percentage of their fuel efficiency when loaded and lugging than lower MPG vehicles do. That's why a gas V8 pickup might get 15 MPG unloaded but still get 13 MPG loaded. A diesel might get 25 unloaded, but it'll plummet like a rock thrown into the ocean once you load it down.
What!?!?!?

not sure what v8 you’re thinking of?? Had a 2012 Ram 1500 quad cab w/ a 5.7 hemi and a 1 1/2 ” leveling puck in the front. I got 18mpg on the highway doing 70 from Dallas to St. Louis. Put my dads Taurus on a car trailer and towed it 45 highway miles. Unloaded and drove back home with the empty trailer 90 percent highway miles for the whole trip. I had filled the tank on the way home the night before and refilled the tank on my way home again. Average was 8.6 mpg. !!

have a friend with an 09 ram 2500 Cummins. As he puts it..... “city mpg sucks but it gets 26 mpg highway empty and 24 loaded”. (He pulls a gooseneck livestock trailer)

Guess I’ll wait and find out for myself. Maybe I’ll have to revisit some of those YouTube videos where they tested mpg on the ED loaded and empty.

Reactions: PK2

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
My old Powerstroke gets about 14 mpg empty and about 12 mpg pulling 8K.
Hell I bet the new Ecodiesel has more HP & torque. LOL

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For those claiming I'm "throwing shade" at the thread while they're simultaneously throwing shade at me...

I have owned and driven and towed with diesels from the old fashioned days before some of them even had turbo-charging all the way to modern diesels with EGR and emissions controls on them. Opinions are like yesterdays...everybody has one. Fact is, my experience shows exactly what I said above: diesels lose more MPG while towing. As in, you will lose a larger % of your MPG with large tires or with a trailer in tow if you use a diesel engine.

I actually used to always track my mileage with spreadsheets, and if any of you nay-sayers want I can post proof via charts.

So yes, while running empty you may see better MPG figures, which will be offset by the higher cost of the fuel, but once you load the truck down you're going to see numbers closer to a gas V8. That's just the way it is. High MPG engines are sensitive to change.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
For those claiming I'm "throwing shade" at the thread while they're simultaneously throwing shade at me...

I have owned and driven and towed with diesels from the old fashioned days before some of them even had turbo-charging all the way to modern diesels with EGR and emissions controls on them. Opinions are like yesterdays...everybody has one. Fact is, my experience shows exactly what I said above: diesels lose more MPG while towing. As in, you will lose a larger % of your MPG with large tires or with a trailer in tow if you use a diesel engine.

I actually used to always track my mileage with spreadsheets, and if any of you nay-sayers want I can post proof via charts.

So yes, while running empty you may see better MPG figures, which will be offset by the higher cost of the fuel, but once you load the truck down you're going to see numbers closer to a gas V8. That's just the way it is. High MPG engines are sensitive to change.
Truth here. My 2019 F-250 gets 19 mpg unloaded and pulling my 5th wheel it gets 9 mpg. Sure i can tow with with plenty of power but it comes at a cost, i have owned diesels for the last four decades and the days of towing with little change in mpg are long gone also the days of a diesel getting 500,000 miles before a rebuild are gone.

EGR has had a negative effect on diesels and diesel ownership. If your not an experienced diesel owner you could be walking into a big can of worms with the Gladiator diesel. The EGR cooling system is the biggest headache on the modern diesel and the Gladiator has not one but two, the Gladiator platform is small so not having the room for a large HP cooling system they needed to implement two smaller systems, now what usually fails has been doubled.

GunnersJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU, 2015 JGC Overland Diesel
Interesting discussion. We have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel and use it to tow our 5700# (fully loaded) camper. Road mpg’s unloaded are around 27. Towing mpg’s, 13 (stupid recall dropped it down from 14). A similar Pentastar under the same towing conditions, from what I’ve read, comes in lower with similar weights.

We didn’t but the 3.0L Ecodiesel for the improved mpg’s. We specifically bought it for the torque while towing. And it is dramatically different from the Pentastar in my 2019 JLUR under heavy load. It does not care that the camper is back there. It jumps up and runs when you ask it to. It is a beast compared to my old JKUR and my 2019 JLUR.

Yes, mpg’s drop quite a bit under heavy load. Who gives a rats rear. Buy it for the torque. If you don’t need the torque, buy the Pentastar, which I LOVE in my JLUR! Damn it is nice compared to my old 3.8L.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A good case in point in the brand new TFL video where they test the EcoDiesel AND the new GM Duramax unloaded and loaded. Both trucks lost SIXTY FIVE PERCENT of their MPGs when loaded.

This is what I was trying to say above. If you want something that's going to maintain the most MPGs after installing large tires, or loading up the bed, or hooking on a trailer, the diesel isn't your choice. If you have other wants, then that's fine. Just don't expect that the diesel is going to get 30 MPG on the road turning 37" tires. These modern diesels are extremely sensitive to loads.

I can't think of a single gas engine on the market that loses 65% of it's efficiency when loaded. In fact my Pentastar JT gets better MPG while towing heavy loads than either of the diesels in the TFL video.

Pk2abilene

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Cherokee
A good case in point in the brand new TFL video where they test the EcoDiesel AND the new GM Duramax unloaded and loaded. Both trucks lost SIXTY FIVE PERCENT of their MPGs when loaded.

This is what I was trying to say above. If you want something that's going to maintain the most MPGs after installing large tires, or loading up the bed, or hooking on a trailer, the diesel isn't your choice. If you have other wants, then that's fine. Just don't expect that the diesel is going to get 30 MPG on the road turning 37" tires. These modern diesels are extremely sensitive to loads.

I can't think of a single gas engine on the market that loses 65% of it's efficiency when loaded. In fact my Pentastar JT gets better MPG while towing heavy loads than either of the diesels in the TFL video.
TFL tested the ecodiesel vs hemi loaded at 8700# on Ike challenge. Ecodiesel gets better mileage loaded (5.4 mpg) and unloaded. It does drop more percentage wise but is better on both accounts. Will be interesting to see what it does when max loaded in a gladiator as it’s already better than the pentastar (4.7mpg) with an extra 1700#.
Sponsored