First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
When you girls get this figured out, post back what you finally decided to use.. I'm not the lost puppy here... I did not make the opening post in this thread.. I do not need the help.. the guidance..

I might add that I did not reference any particular differential... I said do you homework in regard to your specific vehicle.. your diffs, etc... and...... 75W85 was mentioned in the OP's, 1st post here and I pointed out more then once if you see 75W85 as the gear oil to use for your vehicle, that most will just use 75W90 which is avail. in Valvoline Flex Fill. I also mentioned 75W140 is the go to gear oil for the rear diff if you tow.. I also mentioned pertinent info in regard to additive.

In closing it is the knuckle head that is doing the fluid change's job to decide what he or she wants to use.. or if he/she wants to use ramps... 8-)

I'm still laughing that guys/girls are using ramps to do a friggin oil change..

I'll comment no more in this thread...
In case you haven’t noticed, the drain plug is angled. Ramps just help it drain. No need to be a prick about it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
The correct weight for my vehicle, according to the list of fluids given and a Project Manager at Jeep, is 75W-140. It is because of the two diamonds saying if the vehicle has the towing package, not necessarily the Max Tow package, to use the 75W-140. Initially he stated 75W-85, but upon further looking tow package, or in my case max tow, it meant 75W-140

Glad I checked, before changing the diff fluid.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The correct weight for my vehicle, according to the list of fluids given and a Project Manager at Jeep, is 75W-140. It is because of the two diamonds saying if the vehicle has the towing package, not necessarily the Max Tow package, to use the 75W-140. Initially he stated 75W-85, but upon further looking tow package, or in my case max tow, it meant 75W-140 Glad I checked, before changing the diff fluid.
Ahhhhh I see that. I wish the owners manual had that clarification. I’ll be doing the same then shortly.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Per the manual, 75w140 is only used in the M200 rear axle (Dana 35,only exists on the JL, not JT's)
1614800862123.png
FWIW, Spicer/DANA list 75W-140 in their rebuild spec sheets.

Attachments

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
FWIW, Spicer/DANA list 75W-140 in their rebuild spec sheets.

Awesome! I’m getting my changed here soon, for I’m a little over do for the 500 mile service.

Sponsored

Whatscooking

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Chorkee. 2004 Wrangler
Occupation
Retired
ATF4 in the transfer case, how much?​

Whatscooking

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Chorkee. 2004 Wrangler
Occupation
Retired
What about our automatic transmission, what do we do there?

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The correct weight for my vehicle, according to the list of fluids given and a Project Manager at Jeep, is 75W-140. It is because of the two diamonds saying if the vehicle has the towing package, not necessarily the Max Tow package, to use the 75W-140. Initially he stated 75W-85, but upon further looking tow package, or in my case max tow, it meant 75W-140

Glad I checked, before changing the diff fluid.
Plot twist:
From Jeep Customer Cares:

VIN: # - 2020 JEEP GLADIATOR SPORT 4X4

Our records indicate this vehicle was equipped from the factory with the following:
AJQ Max Tow Package W/4.10 Axle Ratio
DRF Dana M220 Wide Rear Axle
DS8 Conventional Differential Rear Axle

Rear Differential/Axle Lubricant With or Without the Trailer Tow Package/Max Tow Package - We recommend you use Mopar Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W85 (API GL-5) - P/N 68378949AA.
And when I asked where they got their information:

VIN: # - 2020 JEEP GLADIATOR SPORT 4X4

The provided Jeep Gladiator rear differential/axle lubricant information was obtained from our Jeep Engineering Department.

Sincerely,
Joe

Last edited:

Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Plot twist

Plot twist:

Sounds like they need to get their info straight. I already bought 75W-140 so I'll stick with that.

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Has anyone sent a diff oil sample to blackstone? I'm curious what the factory fill viscosity is

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Plot twist:

Neither one of them is wrong. Just both have different expectations for their recommendations. Not uncommon for supplier OEM's to have different recommendations for fluids and service spec than what their purchasing final install buyers want.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Neither one of them is wrong. Just both have different expectations for their recommendations. Not uncommon for supplier OEM's to have different recommendations for fluids and service spec than what their purchasing final install buyers want.
One of them is wrong. Either 75W-85 or 75W-140 was put into the rear axle of my Gladiator at the factory. I am certain that Jeep has records of what oil was being put into the rear differentials of Max Tow JTs in early September 2019. That fluid should be what I replace mine with. UNLESS, Jeep is implying in its manual that in order to get the safest/maximum towing capability you need to switch the rear axle 75W-85 with 75W-140 fluid, and go back to 75W-85 when not towing. And if differentials go bad from the wrong lubrication, I wonder how hard it would be to convince Jeep corporate that they messed up in telling thousands of Jeep owners which fluids to use.

For now, I'm going to wait to hear back from Jeep as I inquired about the discrepancy. The answer is not coming from OEM suppliers, it's from Jeep's people. I have at least 2 people involved in the JT's development on technical matters telling me 2 different things. Both are looking at Jeep/FCA/Stellantis official internal documents, so eventually I'll get an answer that I can bank a potential/future (hopefully will never happen) warranty claim should the wrong differential fluid cause damage to my rear differential.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
OK, if that is the rabbit hole you want to go down. Hope you find satisfaction.
Sponsored