Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I only have a couple of their solo albums and of course the Blue Jays disc.
Justin does a lot of solo "unplugged" shows - and I've heard that when he does cruises and such you actually get to talk with him, not just listen. He's very personable.
I almost bought the Mike Pinder album I bet you are talking about for my grandson. My son married a full Korean woman when he was teaching English there. They live here, there, here, there - but their son is very bilingual. They started using both languages with him before he was even born. I thought that album of stories from the different cultures would be great for him. Ray's passing was really sad.....his voice was amazing - well, Justin's is as well.

Shortly after I married my current wife we went to a Moody Blues concert - in fact we attended a number of them together, but I won't say what she said about John, this being a family forum and all. LOL - never heard her talk like that before. Should I be jealous? We were second row at one concert in what some called the tour of the pants and I got some great photos and video - they allowed it - and even if the venue said no, they said it's ok, just please no flash and don't bother anyone trying to enjoy the show. So there are tons of videos out there of their concerts.
Klaatu - same thing back in the 70s but I decided, naw, just enough different and the sound appeared to be more home brew, less expensive.
Two songs I like to play about max volume on a good system -
Melancholy Man
And Klaatu's Prelude.
I was playing Melancholy Man on my stereo one time when I was dating my now wife and she came over and sat and was listening - likely wondering what the heck she'd gotten into - and I later over-heard her telling one of her friends about the music - she'd never before believed a song could make you shiver or bring you close to tears.
If you don't have a high-end system and speakers that reproduce all sounds faithfully, you miss all the undertones and everything going on in that song.
(within days of meeting me, she went out and bought Sur le Mer because of the song "I know you're out there somewhere"- we lived half a state apart from each other)
Sponsored

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
I only have a couple of their solo albums and of course the Blue Jays disc.
Justin does a lot of solo "unplugged" shows - and I've heard that when he does cruises and such you actually get to talk with him, not just listen. He's very personable.
I almost bought the Mike Pinder album I bet you are talking about for my grandson. My son married a full Korean woman when he was teaching English there. They live here, there, here, there - but their son is very bilingual. They started using both languages with him before he was even born. I thought that album of stories from the different cultures would be great for him. Ray's passing was really sad.....his voice was amazing - well, Justin's is as well.

Shortly after I married my current wife we went to a Moody Blues concert - in fact we attended a number of them together, but I won't say what she said about John, this being a family forum and all. LOL - never heard her talk like that before. Should I be jealous? We were second row at one concert in what some called the tour of the pants and I got some great photos and video - they allowed it - and even if the venue said no, they said it's ok, just please no flash and don't bother anyone trying to enjoy the show. So there are tons of videos out there of their concerts.
Klaatu - same thing back in the 70s but I decided, naw, just enough different and the sound appeared to be more home brew, less expensive.
Two songs I like to play about max volume on a good system -
Melancholy Man
And Klaatu's Prelude.
I was playing Melancholy Man on my stereo one time when I was dating my now wife and she came over and sat and was listening - likely wondering what the heck she'd gotten into - and I later over-heard her telling one of her friends about the music - she'd never before believed a song could make you shiver or bring you close to tears.
If you don't have a high-end system and speakers that reproduce all sounds faithfully, you miss all the undertones and everything going on in that song.
(within days of meeting me, she went out and bought Sur le Mer because of the song "I know you're out there somewhere"- we lived half a state apart from each other)
John did like his leather pants well into his 60s. ;-)

I just went to Amazon and bought 4 Klaatu albums MP3s, so this weekend will listen to them. I had a stupid stereo when I had no money. I upgraded in high school to 4 Bose 901 Series II, I had an SAE parametric equalizer, and I had 4 250 Watt Mono Tube Amps running them thru a Mcintosh Pre-Amp. The amps required their own separate house fan when rocking hard. Otherwise they would over heat and shut down for a bit. My buddy had Allison Ones and a Macintosh receiver he thought his sounded better and I think it probably did at regular volume, nothing was quite like my set up loud. Although, another friend had some Klipsh Horns that could go to another level of loud. I mostly listen to music now in the car, and when I am mowing the yard with headphones it is always amazing how many details you can hear when you are listening with headphones. My sound system now is used mostly for TV and movies, because my wife hates loud music, unless it is Earth Wind and Fire and that kind of crap. It is a 9.2 system that sounds good but rarely do I listen to my music on it. The best thing is all of my music is on my MacBook Pro 2019, so when I can I can play anything in seconds when it hits my mind. My albums on the other hand, are mostly sitting on a shelf. Copying them is always disappointing, compared to digital. So, if I start longing for something I try to find the MP3. For some reason a few weeks ago I was wanting to listen to one of John Entwistle’s albums and when I went looking online I couldn’t find any of them in digital formats. So, I may have to fire up my Thorens Turntable one of these days.

JC

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
John did like his leather pants well into his 60s. ;-)

I just went to Amazon and bought 4 Klaatu albums MP3s, so this weekend will listen to them. I had a stupid stereo when I had no money. I upgraded in high school to 4 Bose 901 Series II, I had an SAE parametric equalizer, and I had 4 250 Watt Mono Tube Amps running them thru a Mcintosh Pre-Amp. The amps required their own separate house fan when rocking hard. Otherwise they would over heat and shut down for a bit. My buddy had Allison Ones and a Macintosh receiver he thought his sounded better and I think it probably did at regular volume, nothing was quite like my set up loud. Although, another friend had some Klipsh Horns that could go to another level of loud. I mostly listen to music now in the car, and when I am mowing the yard with headphones it is always amazing how many details you can hear when you are listening with headphones. My sound system now is used mostly for TV and movies, because my wife hates loud music, unless it is Earth Wind and Fire and that kind of crap. It is a 9.2 system that sounds good but rarely do I listen to my music on it. The best thing is all of my music is on my MacBook Pro 2019, so when I can I can play anything in seconds when it hits my mind. My albums on the other hand, are mostly sitting on a shelf. Copying them is always disappointing, compared to digital. So, if I start longing for something I try to find the MP3. For some reason a few weeks ago I was wanting to listen to one of John Entwistle’s albums and when I went looking online I couldn’t find any of them in digital formats. So, I may have to fire up my Thorens Turntable one of these days.

JC
Yeah, no kidding on the leather pants thing. And the "dino-dance" LOL

That was so funny - my wife likes only country, me, meh, not so much.
Turntable? JVC linear tracking that needs some attention as it's gotten stiff over the years and the arm won't keep up well. Most of the rest of my component system has aged and gone away but I wanted to keep that as I got a USB interface for it and with Audacity, can rip albums I can't find otherwise.
Yeah on the headphones - amazing the details you can catch. There are bits in some songs I bet some people don't even know are there.
Hope- perhaps the first "space opera" album?

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
Yeah, no kidding on the leather pants thing. And the "dino-dance" LOL

That was so funny - my wife likes only country, me, meh, not so much.
Turntable? JVC linear tracking that needs some attention as it's gotten stiff over the years and the arm won't keep up well. Most of the rest of my component system has aged and gone away but I wanted to keep that as I got a USB interface for it and with Audacity, can rip albums I can't find otherwise.
Yeah on the headphones - amazing the details you can catch. There are bits in some songs I bet some people don't even know are there.
Hope- perhaps the first "space opera" album?
I have 4 including Hope, I remember listening to it at our lake house on a really bad system with a Garrard turntable, Heritage speakers, (good to about 25 watts then they explode) and a Panasonic receiver, pretty awful. I think they had 5 studio albums and 1 they basically sent their demos to Capital Records and they re-recorded them with studio musicians and it got bad reviews. We travel a lot, and I like to listen to stuff I haven’t heard while sitting on airplanes with my Bose noise cancelling headphones, we have a trip coming up in 3 weeks, I will probably have my mind blown by Klaatu. I loved Procul Harum too, but they never got past the Moodys, Genesis, Yes and The Who for my favorites lists. I downloaded one of theirs that I have in Vinyl but haven’t listened to in 35 to 40 years.

JC

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
The amount of time it takes to rip a CD without cover art or song titles is time prohibitive. YouTube streaming with all of the adds is annoying, but not as bad as Sirius/XM's kiddie Punk station when you want your dose of 80's Hardcore. I'll never adjust to digital-only.
Spotify Premium and wireless carplay adapter - use the USB port in your console and mount it with a command strip to the side of the console. Access everything on your phone from the touch screen. 2021 Wireless CarPlay Adapter...

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I stick a CD in my PC, let it rip while I do other things, then when I think of it go back and swap CDs and do it again. I don't sit and watch them. If I get 2 or 3 done a day it's a good day. It's more time consuming with vinyl - I hate ripping my albums.
I've started buying music via amazon - I get the disk, I get the digital version and it's in my amazon library which I can play through my radio via my phone.

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
I stick a CD in my PC, let it rip while I do other things, then when I think of it go back and swap CDs and do it again. I don't sit and watch them. If I get 2 or 3 done a day it's a good day. It's more time consuming with vinyl - I hate ripping my albums.
I've started buying music via amazon - I get the disk, I get the digital version and it's in my amazon library which I can play through my radio via my phone.
back in the day I bought a Sony PC "Digital Living System" it included a 200 disc BD/DVDrw/CDrw. I use to rip customers 300 disc library in 2 nights.. I always kept a copy for my services, swear I have every Jimmy Buffet album ever created

Jeeptruck

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon launch edition
The inconvenience of taking a minute to load a CD to rip is nothing compared to the benefit of having a huge library available right on the touchscreen.

Not only that, but the sound quality is much better. Sirius is poor quality, streaming has been poor to mediocre until recently when they added “hifi” service at 320kbps, which will obviously use data crazy fast.

The main reason I switched to a usb drive was to be able to listen to CD quality music without the CD player. That’s the main reason I miss the CD player.
It’s probably not a big deal to those who have only heard music streaming through their phone (sad) or to those who don’t care about sound quality. But I didn’t get the premium sound system to listened to a poor quality source.
Any CDs I don’t already have, I can get from Amazon for a few dollars, which is cheaper than the mp3s. I rip them to FLAC files and then put them on a tiny usb drive. I end up with a physical CD I can play at home, a digital copy to listen to in the car, and Amazon makes it available through Amazon music after you buy it so it’s automatically on my phone.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
The amount of time it takes to rip a CD without cover art or song titles is time prohibitive. YouTube streaming with all of the adds is annoying, but not as bad as Sirius/XM's kiddie Punk station when you want your dose of 80's Hardcore. I'll never adjust to digital-only.
CD's are digital ;)

I use Spotify family but I barely ever listen to music as it is, either at home or driving. More so for the kid's sports and way to games and practices.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I never had stacks and stacks of CD's but I did have about a dozen that i liked keeping in my vehicle at a time, I really don't like it that they don't even offer a simple CD player anymore because it seems like it was very little in the way of trouble, they kind of blended into the rest of the stereo system. But, I don't have much to complain about, my phone has a 256gb micro disk in it that stores all of my songs, and it connects to my Jeep via bluetooth, it's pretty seamless and works great.

Sponsored

flyil

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator HA Snazzberry
This wireless Carplay adapter is dollar-for-dollar the best thing I've bought for my Jeep. I was a skeptic but it worked the moment I plug in and it's basically perfect.

100% Spotify for music, would have no use for a CD player or anything like it.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I am "plotting" an old school install of a CD changer in my '20 Sport S. I found and bought a new-unused Alpine DHA-S690 6 disc DVD/CD changer, from a reputable ebay seller, that I am going to install vertically behind the driver's side rear seat, and I am going to run its coaxial digital output up to a FiiO DAC to go behind the center instrument panel to feed the JT's OEM Aux analog audio input. This is going to be as part of (if my job will just settle down to sane hours so I can carve out the time) an overall install of some upgraded speakers and a Kicker Key 180.4 main DSP amp and 500.1 subwoofer amp, and a sub under the rear seat.

I trust this new, unused, older Alpine disc changer more than the "no name USB" CD adapters- I don't know who makes them or who actually really has their reputation and support on the line if they go fzzt in a year or two.

This is all to go with my barebones "base" radio, which is staying in place. I like and want to retain the fact that there are distinct volume and tune knobs and actual physical function buttons.

There are few things I abjectly despise as much as having to interface with any kind of multilayered "menu" functions via touch screens while driving down the road - makes me want to break things. No AI voice-recognition for me, either. Give me knobs or switches. Single function knobs or switches. I don't care how many, I am fine with many. Just no touchscreen multilayer menus. Because my eyes can stay 100% on the road and my hands can intuitively run the knobs and switches. I am "compromising" to use a handheld remote, with buttons, for the Alpine disc changer, because I think this is as close as I am going to get. I guess this fits with the fact that I am delighted to be driving a 6spd MT solid axle vehicle and plan to keep this JT for as long as it is roadworthy.

I am not technophobic at all in other realms, people actually ask me for help with tech devices and subjects, but for my user interfaces while driving, I want hardcore-analog-as-can-be in how I run the controls.

I realize I am an outlier in both my preferences and the militancy of those preferences, but so be it.

Last edited:

Dennis K

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fineartamerica.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Gecko Sport S with Mack's Toe
Occupation
Ret
I'm old - I bet some here never heard of my favorites. My listening tastes are also weird - no station I am aware of plays to my tastes. Satellite? Ugh, maybe once in a while, only two or three of them........
but name me a station that plays - Moody Blues, Klaatu, Procol Harum, or Queen...... (odd mix, eh?)
I have every song from the Moodies as a group on CD and some in dupe and quite a few on vinyl, as well as Blue Jays.
Name me just one Klaatu song - heck, other than the ONE that put them on the map, name me a Procol Harum song, kids (NO FAIR CHEATING WITH GOOGLE! LOL )
Any stations play the songs Prelude? Madman? Or Blue World? Melancholy Man? Simple Game?
Looks like I stick to my ripped music although I think I have an old USB CD player laying around somewhere from a notebook past........ like Mr._Bill said - nice to play certain disks when the mood hits.
Moody Blues rock....
Tull too???

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Moody Blues rock....
Tull too???
It' a blue world........

Skating away....... bungle in the jungle............. aqualung.........

George Harrison (and now Dhani)

ELO

Sponsored