Sponsored

Do we know when the Ecodiesel will be released?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
So basically, the 38 extra lbs/ft of torque in the Ram application comes from where? Tune? Air intake/exhaust?
Pretty sure that was because you can't move as much air through the JT cooling system so they de-tuned it.
So there will at least be 'Ram' tunes available for Jeeps pretty soon I'd think.
Sponsored

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
So basically, the 38 extra lbs/ft of torque in the Ram application comes from where? Tune? Air intake/exhaust?
Different tuning would be my guess. FCA is probably trying to make the Ecodiesel in the Gladiator run a little cooler.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Pretty sure that was because you can't move as much air through the JT cooling system so they de-tuned it.
So there will at least be 'Ram' tunes available for Jeeps pretty soon I'd think.
You beat me to it. A slightly detuned engine shouldn't effect the overall performance of the Gladiator since it won't be rated to tow nearly as much as the Ram. However, the Ram and Gladiator are very similar in overall curb weight. Otherwise, I think the tuning might be very similar to yield the best fuel economy.

This is off topic, but I was thinking this morning that Jeep could be waiting for the EPA to release fuel economy numbers before they get underway with the JT Ecodiesel production???? Just a thought.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Nearly 40 lbs/ft is not insignificant, so that's why I was wondering. I'll bet it's probably a combination of tuning and space available for exhaust. I know that the engineers always said the Pentastar made 20 more horsepower in the Ram 1500 application because of space available for intake/exhaust. It's all about moving air.

Well, for me I wouldn't be as concerned about getting maximum power out of a Gladiator EcoDiesel as I would be about making the engine last as long as possible before repair, so a tune that would allow EGR bypass would be sweet. I don't suppose running DEF really cuts down on engine lifespan as much as EGR does.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Well, for me I wouldn't be as concerned about getting maximum power out of a Gladiator EcoDiesel as I would be about making the engine last as long as possible before repair, so a tune that would allow EGR bypass would be sweet. I don't suppose running DEF really cuts down on engine lifespan as much as EGR does.
The best tuning option for me would be to keep all the emissions intact but disable the EGR. In that case scenario, the DEF still works. The more aggressive tuning option, at least on the 2014 - 2019 Ram Ecodiesel, disables the EGR and the DEF. That allows the user to remove the exhaust.

In my opinion, the only real enemy is the EGR.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
The best tuning option for me would be to keep all the emissions intact but disable the EGR. In that case scenario, the DEF still works.

Sign me up soon as this ^ is available.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The best tuning option for me would be to keep all the emissions intact but disable the EGR. In that case scenario, the DEF still works. The more aggressive tuning option, at least on the 2014 - 2019 Ram Ecodiesel, disables the EGR and the DEF. That allows the user to remove the exhaust.

Yes that's what I'm thinking too. Leave everything visually/physically intact but disable the EGR. That seems like a good compromise approach to save headaches later down the road and still give the engine better health.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
It would Totally Pi** some guys off we got the Mojave hood :devil:
It wouldn't be far fetched to think that may be the case given the limited cooling space. I have always wondered where they are going to put the intercooler. It is possible there will be differences between the JL and the JT in regards to tuning due to the 'towing requirements' of the JT. That could be met with the Mojave hood and a better tune.

If you have not seen it, David Tracy did a pretty good write up regarding the cooling constraints they were working with. He previously worked on those areas of the JL as an engineer before going full time at jalopnik.
https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Sign me up soon as this ^ is available.
I will let you know when it's available on Ram's 3rd gen Ecodiesel. I anticipate a tune as I described to be released by June of this year.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking that if I decide to give the EcoDiesel a shot, maybe I'll go Ram.

The Ram and the Jeep have the same curb weight, but the Ram has 38 lbs/ft more torque. It also has the same transmission, and it has a 3.92 gear option which is virtually the same as the Jeep's 4.10. So, after all things are considered, the Ram should be a little quicker and pull a little harder.

Also, the Ram configured the way I'd need it would have about 200 lbs. more payload that my current Max Tow Gladiator, which would be nice.

I recently picked up an Arctic Cat Wildcat XX for off-road duty, so truthfully the Gladiator has been given truck duty only. And if truck duty only is what I need, the Ram would be fine. I wouldn't be giving up anything.

Lastly, the Ram EcoDiesels are currently being advertised at up to $16,000 off MSRP where I live.

So I think that my options have become 1) Keep my current Gladiator or 2) Go with the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel.

My only concern is the $$$$ involved in operating that diesel engine if I keep it long term, but I generally lease my stuff short term so I don't guess it would really matter in my personal case.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking that if I decide to give the EcoDiesel a shot, maybe I'll go Ram.
I'm planning to order a new 2020 Ram EcoDiesel in the next month or so. Just this weekend I contacted 4 dealers to see who can give me the best deal. I figure it will take a few weeks to workout the details. If I'm happy with the final purchase agreement, then I'll place an order.

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
For real, tho!?!? It’s March, wheeeennnn!?!?

upload_2020-3-3_13-22-58.gif

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
Just gimme a date... one month, two, three...? I need to plan my LYFE!!!

upload_2020-3-3_13-32-32.gif

PS this Prius is killing my soul.