Door hinge pin lube

Ncdmtb

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I removed my doors yesterday. The door hinge pins seemed pretty dry and chalky. When I put the doors on again today, I am considering lubing the hinge pins. I am thinking about using some WD-40 white lithium grease. What do you recommend?
Sponsored

Y-Guy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
One of the first mods I did was to replace the door hing liners with a Derlin liners, did the same on my previous Wrangler. I picked up these from Amazon though just saw price jacked up by about $10 - worth looking around.

Sponsored

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
Jeep Gladiator Door hinge pin lube EF15EAF9-6C34-40B6-AF99-975E1D39F542
I use this stuff on just about everythingā€¦metal, wood, leather. Invented by Germans as a wartime necessity. They werenā€™t good at winning their wars but they excelled in technology and craftsmanship that the rest of the world has benefited from immensely. Are there more superior oils out there? Absolutely, but they most likely donā€™t do it all like this one.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/the-oil-that-could/

Last edited:

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R and 2017 Chevrolet Bolt
Occupation
Business Owner
Install Delrin liners and anti seize on the hinge pins for my doors that donā€™t get taken off often. For the front doors (which I take off quite often and also get installed with quick drop-in stainless steel posts/pins in the the Spring, I use lithium grease but it does not stick around as long). Antiseize does dry out over time and makes a mess so only tend to use it when Iā€™m not putting the stainless steel pins on or intending on taking the doors off quite often.)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I use Dry Graphite spray
Yeah, I like that. Not messy, not greasy, doesn't attract dust or dirt.

Antiseize is what you want to use.
Why?
Just wondering.........

The idea is lube, prevent wear, keep the dust and dirt out and away.

Just a side thought, perhaps -
Whatever is used should take into account that the pin is steel, the door half of the hinge is NOT steel (aluminum or an alloy)

Sponsored

JETNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Support Coordinator
Yeah, I like that. Not messy, not greasy, doesn't attract dust or dirt.

Why?
Just wondering.........

The idea is lube, prevent wear, keep the dust and dirt out and away.

Just a side thought, perhaps -
Whatever is used should take into account that the pin is steel, the door half of the hinge is NOT steel (aluminum or an alloy)
Itā€™s a long lasting lubricant, and prevents corrosion to make disassembly easier. Granted, any part that is lubricated and exposed will attract dust/debris. But the pins are fairly protected, so itā€™s a good choice IMO

Word to the wise, a little goes a long way, but itā€™s good for a couple of years.

Seagoing Aviation mech and tug boat engineer. I love that shit, and hate it at the same timeā€¦..lol.

ETA: Antiseize will also help control the galvanic corrosion between the dissimilar metals of the steel pin, aluminum hinge.

Last edited:

JETNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Support Coordinator
I used some breech plug grease leftover from an old muzzleloader I had.
Antiseize works great on breech plugs, as well as suppressor threads. It can withstand high temperatures. I bet that breech plug grease has similar properties.

rockymountainhigh

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S Custom
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Have this hanging around the garage and use it on jeeps door pins, bmx headsets/bottom brackets, anything that needs a little love. I have some white lithium grease somewhere but I can't find it...and as I heard long ago when someone was stressing about not having the perfect camera on them, but a lesser one: the best camera in the world is the one you have on you! So, for Jeep door pins, a dab per pin will work just fine
20230326_200053.jpg

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
For dry lubricant (so as not to load up with grit and become an abrasive) I have been keen on the ZYP hBn. I believe it has better adhesion to the metal and forms a more durable coating than graphite but the same idea.

It's not cheap but I keep a can around and find interesting uses for it.
BN Aerosol Lubricoat - ZYP Coatings Inc.
Sponsored