DP Filter at 100%

BilletRUBI

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I purchased a OBD II reader and bought the OBD Fusion App a month ago. I could see the soot levels get up to 80% and then kick off an Active Regen that lasted about 10 minutes at highway speeds. After the Regen, the soot level would be down around 8%.

A week ago, I opened my Fusion App and noticed that my soot level was at 100%. So I took a quick highway trip to make sure the Active Regen would finish, but it never kicked off. The Passive Regen indicator lights up but it never lowered the soot level below 100%. Now it has been a week and my soot level is still at 100% and I'm getting concerned that I am heading towards an issue. I have logged some highway miles traveling to a nearby city, but still no Active Regen. My factory Jeep dashboard has not indicated that there is any problem and I have seen no check engine light... yet.

My question is: is there a way to manually kick off an Active Regen? If not, do I take it to the dealer and let them know that I haven't had an active Regen and my soot level has been at 100% for over a week?

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I am super interested in this - I do feel like I have read people talk about stationary regens here before. There is some good intel in here, but IDK if it's all helpful. Does your app not have an option to force the regen?

🍿 🍿

OP
OP
BilletRUBI

BilletRUBI

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I am super interested in this - I do feel like I have read people talk about stationary regens here before. There is some good intel in here, but IDK if it's all helpful. Does your app not have an option to force the regen?

🍿 🍿
The Fusion App does not have a forced Active Regen mode as far as I know. I'll check out the link you sent. Thanks

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
Im sure people with better knowledge will reply soon, but if its anything like my 2.8L Duramax only the dealership can force a regen.

I ran a GDE tune on my truck and I monitored EGT, Regens, Soot levels, and whatnot. I could cancel and did cancel out some check engine codes "after contacting GDE", but I could never personally force a regen.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Mine started a regen at the beginning of a 2500 miles trip with 67% showing and then read 100% till about another 1500 miles later? Average regen was 900km, but I know it went way longer with the loads I was under.

I also left with a topped off DEF tank and had to add 2 gals at 1900 miles to get home? Thats a far cry from the tank getting us through an oil change........

Sponsored

OP
OP
BilletRUBI

BilletRUBI

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I just checked it again and it was down to ~20%! Didn’t drive any highway miles since my original post, so I don’t know what happened. Glad to know it is ok.

Jeep Gladiator DP Filter at 100% 54B9F7A7-490F-42C0-92AB-7EE915E50170

Thanks for the replies. I’ll keep an eye on it when it gets back to 80%.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
It's known that the DPF Filter% is not an actual number--it's based upon a few other calculations. You'll see that if it gets to 100% and stays there for awhile, that's just an indicator that you're due for a regen, not that it is actually at 100%.

If it was actually full, your Jeep would tell you with a notification on the dash that you'd need to drive at highway speeds for 30 minutes--I believe this is in the owner's manual.

Last edited:

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Maybe it's you DP Filter;) No such thing as a DEF filter that I'm aware of.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
I also run the OBDfusion App and have noticed the same thing before, it's happened a couple times now. If I'm not paying attention to the soot level and it reaches 80%, the app will jump to 100% and kick off an active regen as long as the engine is at operating temperature and you have sufficient DEF remaining in the tank.

I have had an incident where I was dropping my son off at baseball practice and clicked on the OBD Fusion app to check EGT before shutting down a hot engine and noticed it was in Active regen. I had to park and get baseball stuff out of the bed and whatnot and by the time I got back in to drive around for 10 minutes the Active Regen had already stopped but soot level still at 100%.

I feel like the next Active regen is not kicked off until a certain number of miles go by but I think it might have more to do with the number of engine starts. I was in the same 100% condition when I took a trip up into the mountains going from 5000' elevation to 9000' so it was definitely getting the EGT up high enough to heat the DPF but still no Active Regen. It didn't happen until a few days after the trip on the way to, once again, drop off my son as baseball practice :facepalm:. I dropped him off fast and drove for 10 minutes and it was done.

Another thing I have noticed is that when an Active Regen starts, you don't necessarily need to drive at highway speeds. I've watched an AR complete while I was stuck on a 30 mph road following traffic. Once the AR starts and diesel fuel is dumped into the DPF, it gets hot enough no matter how fast you're driving as long as you're not stopped.
Sponsored