Sponsored

Driving in sand tutorial (Outer Banks, NC)?

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The best tip I can give for driving in the sand is don't use your brakes. Also when you do come to a stop back up 5 or 10 ft before going forward again. No sharp turns and be as smooth as possible on the gas pedal.
Good advice. Backing up means you stop on sand your wheels have already compacted to a degree.
Having said that if you drive correctly on the beach 90% of the time you can get away without even putting it in 4x4. There were days when I drove up and down the beach in 2wd and didn't even realize it. I would not advise that just in case you do get into trouble.
Depends on the beach. Daytona is hard-packed like pavement. Ocracoke can be extremely soft; I guarantee you won't make it in 2WD. Not even AWD will work on a typical SUV; not enough ground clearance.

Where the OP is going, besides the actual beach there is a back road behind the dunes.
Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I have a house at OBX and have been driving there for 30+ years. The sand there can be some of the softest on the planet, particularly near the ramps.
First off you’ll need a permit to drive on the OBX beaches. You have to watch a short video and carry a shovel and tow strap.

As far as actually driving I would suggest starting at 20 psi in 4 high. Momentum is your friend so try and keep a steady pace of about 15 MPH or so. Stay in others tracks and if you have to turn around make sure you give it a little extra gas to get through the soft stuff. Also, be careful of driving too close to the water as the sand may be extra soft..

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't done any sand driving before so I have a question with airing down. I understand the principle and all that. What I am curious about is...does airing down that low not affect the tire seating in the wheel or are y'all running beadlock wheels?
You would have to get to 10 and below before worrying about that. 15 is the lowest you will need. Start at 20-17. And make your turns wide or multi-point.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking for some advice on how to drive in the sand. I have never done it before with any vehicle and am curious about experiences with the gladiator. I have a rubicon and want to know the recommendations with regard to using its capabilities (e.g. lockers on or off, etc.). I will be driving on the Cape Lookout National Seashore. Planning to deflate the tires, for sure. Thanks!
As has been said, drop air pressure, but one that you need to be sure and turn off the ESC, very important.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I have a house at OBX and have been driving there for 30+ years.
Lucky SOB :)

We go there once every 7 years. It's where we honeymooned (Ocracoke, 1977), but last time (2019) was anniversary No. 42, and so, not getting any younger, we have decided to cut the interval to 4 years.

Last three times, driving a 2004 Dakota quad cab 4x4. Next time, Jeep Gladiator Overland.

Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
You would have to get to 10 and below before worrying about that. 15 is the lowest you will need. Start at 20-17. And make your turns wide or multi-point.
Exactly. I've driven on all of OBX and Fort Fisher with all kinds of 4x4's I've owned over almost 4 decades, and I've always aired down to 20psi. I know some who go down to 15 with no problem. I have never seen the need to go down more than that. I've always used stock wheels and tire sizes, and they do just fine at the 15 to 20 psi range.

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
All great comments and experience, its amazing what just a little air pressure change will do for traction driven on all these areas OBX, Assateague, The beach on Wallops is a tad tricky when the tide is higher,

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I haven't done any sand driving before so I have a question with airing down. I understand the principle and all that. What I am curious about is...does airing down that low not affect the tire seating in the wheel or are y'all running beadlock wheels?
Unless you're ripping around or doing donuts, it's really hard to drop a bead. I HAVE spun a tire on the rim, however, but only once, way below 10 psi.
You can feel totally confident with 15psi, I wouldn't worry a bit about running 10psi in the back of an empty truck.

B-RAD

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator (on order)
Occupation
Fleet Manager
I have a house at OBX and have been driving there for 30+ years. The sand there can be some of the softest on the planet, particularly near the ramps.
First off you’ll need a permit to drive on the OBX beaches. You have to watch a short video and carry a shovel and tow strap.

As far as actually driving I would suggest starting at 20 psi in 4 high. Momentum is your friend so try and keep a steady pace of about 15 MPH or so. Stay in others tracks and if you have to turn around make sure you give it a little extra gas to get through the soft stuff. Also, be careful of driving too close to the water as the sand may be extra soft..
What is your advice for a manual transmission on the beach?

CTFriel

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Best advice is full on standing rev limiter clutch dump in 2wd. No really if you can drive it on the street the sand will be no different.

Sponsored

B-RAD

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator (on order)
Occupation
Fleet Manager
Best advice is full on standing rev limiter clutch dump in 2wd. No really if you can drive it on the street the sand will be no different.
Thank you
You had me at first lol

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I've always aired down to 22-24 front and 20 rear my Suburban, Mojave doesn't have a beach permit yet , but I'm sure with wider tires and less weight, I should get "float" at a couple pounds higher. When I'm fishing for a while , I don't air up everytime, and just run low air for the week. Everybody is saying the same thing, air down, have a board to jack up out of the sand, have a shovel (folding army ones are nice to pull sand when in pick mode), tow strap. Most places require shovel, board and tow straps, Delaware will ticket you without the items. Start ,stop, turn slow, everything slow! Guys with mud tires usually have to air down a lot more as the tires nature is to dig down to firm ground. Four high is fine, if your truck is working hard and getting hot you might not be low enough on air, play around with the air, you will feel when you float things get easier.....Jack
PS: do not drive in the water like all the commercials show!

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
i’ve also had the amazing opportunity to transverse the oldest and most remote desert in the world, The Namib which took us over a week to cross.
In that expedition we had 5 Toyota 79 series with manual transmissions and the only difference I made was to be sure that I kept the revs in the middle to upper end of the torque band so that I didn’t stall it and had the most power possible.
We all got stuck at various points in the trip but I learned more about driving in sand on that trip than the previous 30 years...

F0012B29-2AB6-44B1-BBBC-838D85F29D9E.jpeg

DE7A2E59-27D7-43BE-B4D3-7E3E3129E09D.jpeg

ERMedic777

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Born and raised on Hatteras Island lived 2 doors over from the Red and White Grocery Store down in Hatteras Village. Have driven everything from a VW bug to a 88 Malibu station wagon out there all the way up to a 2500 cummings. Just air down to about 10psi and use common sense. Now Granted I have not been down there in 5 years and the storms have had their way with the beach but still common sense and low tire pressure normally will get you by. Dont forget to buy your beach pass !!!!

dernawe

First Name
Kalid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Program Manager
Most important tip is the air is free at the lighthouse park a couple miles from the beach.
Sponsored