Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Bummer on the fishing trip, all the reason to go back and try again. We stayed parked for a couple hours, a few folks fishing in the area, only thing they were catching was a buzz. No permit required to drive on Corolla beach. The others, a permit required about April through first Saturday in October, no permit October through April. Cape Hatteras is said to require drivers to watch a short video before driving onto the beach. Anyhow, folks should do their own homework before going to any of said beaches.
Good information! And not that anybody checked while we were there, but you never know. We did go offshore and had much better luck in the gulf stream. Tuna were biting but mahi were not. It's about $600 after tipping the mate to take a charter, but we caught quite a few in the Little Schell. Captain was cranky as they come, but he knew how to put us on fish. I caught a 50 pound yellowfin and it was a blast. $600 would buy you a lot more tuna than we each ended up with, but it's big fun.
TvFuZTo.jpg
Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
@Blue Ridge Man, I miss runs to the canyon. My biggest yellow fin was 140 lbs. nothing like it!

@Larry in NC Mike above says to run closer to the water for wet, packed sand, which can be great, but I have seen pockets that give-way in wet sand especially if there is vegetation around or after a storm.
Recovery boards! at least some wood. If you spin you sink, and there is nothing solid underneath. If you start to dig in, STOP.
Odds are that 4wd and you are good to go. I have run those tires many times in the sand without airing down. You will feel the truck float on top when you get to the right speed. Have fun, don't panic and you will be fine. Remember that to blow donuts in the sand, you have to turn traction control off.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
I drive on the beach a couple of times a week. The Wildpeaks work fine in sand. Unless the sand is very soft I don't normally air down, if I do I don't go below 20. I second the lawn sprinkler on the undercarriage. I have always done that on my 05 TJ and we still nave no rust issues.

Jeep-A-Kneez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel, 1995 YJ 4.0
I had A/T's on mine, but I'm sure mudders will be fine as well. I was intimidated about the sand, who wouldn't be for most of us are more familiar with rock, dirt and mud. Was folks out there with those AWD SUV thingies, with street tires, even saw a fellow in a Chevy 2wd cruising around. If they can make it, then ANYTHING here can.

Sponsored

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
I have the A/Ts but I believe the mud tires would be fine. 4X4 high and don't nail the throttle and you will be fine. Low 4x4 and heavy throttle will dig you in. I have spent years running a F250 on the beach it was fine as long as I did not hit the gas, if I ever dug in I was stuck. My wife used to wonder why I carried a boat anchor in my truck. A great winch point.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Any news or reports from the OP on this trip?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Last edited:

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Probably to busy having fun and pulling out Tacoma's.
Haha, interestingly enough... whenever I go to the beach I always end up doing recovery's. And it's usually big bro-trucks, sedans, and wranglers.

Which is even funnier when I'm pulling them out in my Liberty ;)

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
We’ve had a house on the beach in Hatteras for 13 years (just sold it this summer).

Driving on the northern beaches is relatively easy. Driving on Hatteras Island beaches is another can of worms. You MUST air down to at least 20 psi and you are suppose to carry a shovel and tow strap. Stay in other tire tracks if you can and keep up your momentum. Stopping to do a U turn will get you stuck in a heart beat. The best tires to drive on the beach are actually street tires as you are looking to float over the sand, not dig into it.

I hope the OP caught a bunch of fish…this is the start of the fall fishing season down there.

5adventurers

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR
Occupation
Financials
Well...I'm 38, been goin all my life. CJ-7s, Toyota pickups, 2 Tacoma's, 2 tundras, 4Runners, grand Cherokees, Silverados, Jeep JL, and now a Gladiator. Here is the consistent truth. Street tires, like it or not do better. Wider is better. Take off slow, stop slow. Carry a tow strap. Keep the RPMs medium high, use 4hi, unless towing...then 4l. People LOVE to help. I actually cruise looking for stuck people. I've pulled F250s, Tacoma's and everything in between. Air down to 20PSI, use RPMs and 4Hi and if nothing else, stick to the hard sand at the break. You're good. Questions, just ask.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver