First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
So, anybody else who has theirs hearing an irritating buzzing sound coming from the left side of the engine after turning it off? Not just something a car nut hears. My wife said: "What is that noise? Is it supposed to do that?" Fairly high pitched vibrating/buzzing sound. Does not sound like a pump unless it is a really small electric pump of some kind. I have not measured the timing on it, but it stays on a minute or so. Eventually goes off.
Sponsored

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
@kclendaniel said this in another thread: “There are some new noises with the gen3 engine I did notice (coolant re-circulation pump for the turbo on shutdown?)”

I have no idea what it is but it is Noticeable!

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
@kclendaniel said this in another thread: “There are some new noises with the gen3 engine I did notice (coolant re-circulation pump for the turbo on shutdown?)”

That would make sense

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Thanks. Google did not find that for me.

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler TJ, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
So, anybody else who has theirs hearing an irritating buzzing sound coming from the left side of the engine after turning it off? Not just something a car nut hears. My wife said: "What is that noise? Is it supposed to do that?" Fairly high pitched vibrating/buzzing sound. Does not sound like a pump unless it is a really small electric pump of some kind. I have not measured the timing on it, but it stays on a minute or so. Eventually goes off.
Hello, new to the forum and just took delivery of a fully loaded Ecodiesel Rubicon. Same noise. I took a video of it and sent to GM at dealership who is a personal friend. Bringing into service first thing tomorrow to see if it's normal or if there's an issue. Will post update as soon as I know more. This aside, drives amazingly and LOVING the diesel!

Last edited:

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2

More than likely DEF purge which returns DEF to the tank after engine shut down to avoid freezing. I believe the coolant pump is mechanical and driven off the engine, not electric.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well, you've got EGR solenoids AND a butterfly valve operated by a solenoid which is located in the tail pipe (if it's the same as the Ram application which I'm assuming it is). The butterfly valve is there to create backpressure so that air will flow up the post-DPF EGR pipe. Both of these solenoids are audible and it is normal operation.

This is also why the engine response is so non-linear. As you'd imagine, purposefully controlling exhaust flow on the fly wreaks havoc with driveability. Thanks, EPA.

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, you've got EGR solenoids AND a butterfly valve operated by a solenoid which is located in the tail pipe (if it's the same as the Ram application which I'm assuming it is). The butterfly valve is there to create backpressure so that air will flow up the post-DPF EGR pipe. Both of these solenoids are audible and it is normal operation.

This is also why the engine response is so non-linear. As you'd imagine, purposefully controlling exhaust flow on the fly wreaks havoc with driveability. Thanks, EPA.
Well, I heard from the dealer today on the buzzing sound after engine shutdown. I was told there was an internal FCA bulletin about this and it’s a normal ecodiesel turbo breakin noise regarding the spooling of the turbo. They told me it should go away sometime between 500-1000 miles. Not sure I buy that, but we will see.

As a side note, today I put over 400 miles of all types of driving on my new ecodiesel rubicon. Everything from mountain driving to interstate. Engine/trans have been perfect. The only issue I had is the ESC light flashed on and right back off 3 different times over about 300 miles of the trip from Alabama to North Carolina. First time, it shut off my adaptive cruise control. Hoping that’s not the beginning of an electrical issue or software bug, No service ESC warning or notification. Just flickered on and off. Anyone have any insight into this?

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
Well, I heard from the dealer today on the buzzing sound after engine shutdown. I was told there was an internal FCA bulletin about this and it’s a normal ecodiesel turbo breakin noise regarding the spooling of the turbo. They told me it should go away sometime between 500-1000 miles. Not sure I buy that, but we will see.

As a side note, today I put over 400 miles of all types of driving on my new ecodiesel rubicon. Everything from mountain driving to interstate. Engine/trans have been perfect. The only issue I had is the ESC light flashed on and right back off 3 times over about 300 miles of the trip from Alabama to North Carolina. First time, it shut off my adaptive cruise control. Hoping that’s not the beginning of an electrical issue or software bug, No service ESC warning or notification. Just flickered on and off. Anyone have any insight into this?
Check the seating on all your fuses. Known issue to have loose fuses. May not be it, but it wouldn't hurt.

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check the seating on all your fuses. Known issue to have loose fuses. May not be it, but it wouldn't hurt.
Yes, I’ve read that too. I’ll try that first thing in the morning. Other than this, the ecodiesel drives amazing. I’ve got some seat time in the gasser and this one has an entirely different character in my opinion. Greatly ups the cool factor.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

As a side note, today I put over 400 miles of all types of driving on my new ecodiesel rubicon. Everything from mountain driving to interstate. Engine/trans have been perfect. The only issue I had is the ESC light flashed on and right back off 3 different times over about 300 miles of the trip from Alabama to North Carolina. First time, it shut off my adaptive cruise control. Hoping that’s not the beginning of an electrical issue or software bug, No service ESC warning or notification. Just flickered on and off. Anyone have any insight into this?
If you get enough up and down bounce, the ESC will kick in and turn off the ACC. I have a section of freeway here that does that at higher speeds.

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you get enough up and down bounce, the ESC will kick in and turn off the ACC. I have a section of freeway here that does that at higher speeds.
I thought that might have been the case the first time. But, the other two times the road was perfectly flat interstate. I’m going to check the fuses this morning and then go from there.

adbeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JTR
Yes, I’ve read that too. I’ll try that first thing in the morning. Other than this, the ecodiesel drives amazing. I’ve got some seat time in the gasser and this one has an entirely different character in my opinion. Greatly ups the cool factor.
How would you compare the two?

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How would you compare the two?
No comparison in my opinion. The diesel is in a whole different league. I'm going to post my initial impressions over the past 500 miles later today with some issues I've had so far. Overall, LOVE the truck! The diesel is amazing and there's torque for days. Seat of the pants feeling is crazy cool. There's just enough diesel sound coming through to let you know it's something special. The engine/trans combo and programming is spot on. Holds gears perfectly. Downshifts are precise and timely. Super combo.

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I am sitting in the Jeep in the garage programming the UConnect stuff and when I turn it from ACC to off, never having started the engine, the buzzing noise starts under the hood. Whatever it is, it is weird.
Sponsored