Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
If you have been pleased with bilstein in the past, maybe look into the dual sport from AEV. They use bilstein in the Dual sport 2.5" lift that is compatible with the diesel.
AEV kit is less than rec with the diesel-- that's why they are creating and in final testing of a diesel specific kit. That is per AEV (by the way), not me!
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
To those recommending a spacer lift:

How will this solve any problems? (Other than raising the front/rear back up.)

A spacer won’t change the coil spring being compressed 3/4” or how ever much OP and others are sagging.

I am fully against someone using a spacer in this type of situation. A spacer is an aesthetic band-aid at best.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
To those recommending a spacer lift:

How will this solve any problems? (Other than raising the front/rear back up.)

A spacer won’t change the coil spring being compressed 3/4” or how ever much OP and others are sagging.

I am fully against someone using a spacer in this type of situation. A spacer is an aesthetic band-aid at best.
I can agree that a spacer is not the correct fix, but increasing the distance between the axle and bump will reduce bottoming.

Until there is a proper solution, not much else we can do. Just have to be patient.

This is why I'm running spacers while I wait for the kits with the proper spring rates.

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
I have a diesel rubicon and I think these stock shocks were designed perfectly......... For the starbucks drive through. Completely stock, it bottoms out on pot holes that none of my other stock trucks would bottom out on. It rides nice, but I bought a jeep, not a luxury vehicle.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
AEV kit is less than rec with the diesel-- that's why they are creating and in final testing of a diesel specific kit. That is per AEV (by the way), not me!
I mentioned the AEV because he stated he liked bilstein shocks and brought up the fox shocks from the Mopar kit, so I was assuming he was considering a lift to gain back some height and get the shocks he liked. I am aware AEV has a specific diesel kit coming around the corner but It would not surprise me if they still use the same bilstein shocks but a different spring rate on the spring for the specific diesel kit.

Sponsored

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
I mentioned the AEV because he stated he liked bilstein shocks and brought up the fox shocks from the Mopar kit, so I was assuming he was considering a lift to gain back some height and get the shocks he liked. I am aware AEV has a specific diesel kit coming around the corner but It would not surprise me if they still use the same bilstein shocks but a different spring rate on the spring for the specific diesel kit.
Same shocks, but a different tune, so AEV told me...

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Per AEV's website: "This suspension and spring/shock tune was designed for the gas engine Gladiator, so EcoDiesel-equipped vehicles may not achieve the best possible ride quality and load carrying capability". May not usually = will not!!!

OP
OP

Predator31

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Ecodiesel, 2019 KLT 3.2
Occupation
Engineer
Thought I'd share an image of where I'm at with stock suspension.
Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel Rubicon Fox Shocks Insufficient 20210304_125429

OP
OP

Predator31

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Been emailing fox, bilstein, AEV, and Accutune over the last day. Looking like Bilstein will have a zero lift option shortly once they confirm no changes from 20 to 21. They recommend the same shock part for both gas and diesel 20 Wranglers. Fox says their aftermarket 2.0 shocks are stiffer than what Jeep asked for on factory fitment, so that's an option also (and implied there is no difference on gas an diesel models due to linear rate springs). Accutune can't help in my price range, as you have to get close to or over $1k reservoir shocks that they can tune. AEV as mentioned is working on adjusting spring rate, but I suspect they are using same 5100s on both gas and diesel.

Understood spacer is not ideal, but I don't want to lift it more than back to around factory height. No spring option I could find for that currently, nor do I really expect one to come around. The springs still have some to give before coil full compression, so I think I'll be OK with a daystar or skyjacker 3/4" urethane spacer.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLUR, S5
Per AEV's website: "This suspension and spring/shock tune was designed for the gas engine Gladiator, so EcoDiesel-equipped vehicles may not achieve the best possible ride quality and load carrying capability". May not usually = will not!!!
Nothing against AEV, as I like what they bring to the table, but thats what they said while they were developing the JL specific Borah wheel back in 2018 So the AEV dealer refused to sale me the JK Borah wheel because it was not approved for the JL Rubicon and may not work. I ended up purchasing them from Northridge. Fits as expected. Its part of marketing and I get it.

Same shocks, but a different tune, so AEV told me...
So the new diesel spring rate will fall in the range of the same shock they are using now is what I suspect.

Sponsored

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing against AEV, as I like what they bring to the table, but thats what they said while they were developing the JL specific Borah wheel back in 2018 So the AEV dealer refused to sale me the JK Borah wheel because it was not approved for the JL Rubicon and may not work. I ended up purchasing them from Northridge. Fits as expected. Its part of marketing and I get it.

So the new diesel spring rate will fall in the range of the same shock they are using now is what I suspect.
Spring rate will be stiffer-- per AEV... otherwise, they'd gladly sell me the existing kit.

OP
OP

Predator31

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Thinking about this further after crawling underneath this weekend, I'm thinking I might have to lift to get a stiffer coil. If I put in a spacer, seems like the coil might fully compress on itself before bottoming out the bump stop. Not a good practice generally. Even just a longer coil would need a longer bump stop, defeating the point. I think I'll wait for AEVs diesel kit, since it seems they have a mind toward heavily loaded vehicles for overlanding and such, given I'm not done adding weight. Plus I want the ability to tow an RV at some point, and that will involve weight distribution which further loads the front end (potentially). I need to go weigh it at the scale and see where I'm at between armor and emergency response / off road gear.

haze521

First Name
haz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
e commerce
Vehicle Showcase

hey there sorry to chime in, my buddy has a new set of AEV JK borahs I want to put on my JT rubicon, but then I saw they had JL specific borahs and wasn't sure they'd work on my JT I know the off set/back space is different I'm planning on running 37 12.5 17 cooper stt's what are you running on your JL? thanks

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Just curious - what does it feel like when you bottom out on the bump stop? I'm still in for the JTRD but find it a little annoying to know I'll have to modify the suspension almost immediately.
Sponsored