Ecodiesel Value

tjd2003

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator High Altitude Ecodiesel
Hello all. This may not be in the right place and if so can be moved. Does anyone have an idea what an Ecodiesel engine and transmission would be worth? Who would buy them? I've got about 3000 miles on mine and I'm contemplating swapping a 392 in. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Can they do the swap to a 392 from a diesel? I would have assumed you need to start with a gas JT.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Hello all. This may not be in the right place and if so can be moved. Does anyone have an idea what an Ecodiesel engine and transmission would be worth? Who would buy them? I've got about 3000 miles on mine and I'm contemplating swapping a 392 in. Thanks in advance for any help.

A deleted diesel with a big turbo would be easier than a 392 swap :)

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Forget about the question at hand, the real question is, who pays $4,000 for the diesel and then says, 'eh, I'll sell it for a loss and put in a 392 which is what I really want'? What do you do for a living and where do I sign up - ha!

As far as the actual question, it all depends. I'm not sure these are blowing up enough that people would buy it up. At least not today today. For the enthusiast A diesel swap always sounds like a good idea until you realize all of the required systems involved in a modern diesel.

You will also need to source a 23 gallon tank from the Gas JT as well as need to rip out the piping and tank for the DEF system - say goodbye to 400 miles on a tank with the 392! Then again, that's all about smiles per gallon.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tjd2003

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can they do the swap to a 392 from a diesel? I would have assumed you need to start with a gas JT.
I had that question too, but according to the rep I talked to that's no problem. They run new fuel lines anyway so I don't guess it's really that much more to swap to gas. As far as why I bought it, getting the ecodiesel upgrades quite a bit of components. I wanted the High Altitude package so getting the diesel got me Dana 44's front and rear, an upgraded transmission, and some upgraded suspension components. I initially intended on this being an "in between" vehicle thinking Jeep would be coming out with a 392 Gladiator, but according to an announcement last week they are scrapping that idea.

OP
OP

tjd2003

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forget about the question at hand, the real question is, who pays $4,000 for the diesel and then says, 'eh, I'll sell it for a loss and put in a 392 which is what I really want'? What do you do for a living and where do I sign up - ha!

As far as the actual question, it all depends. I'm not sure these are blowing up enough that people would buy it up. At least not today today. For the enthusiast A diesel swap always sounds like a good idea until you realize all of the required systems involved in a modern diesel.

You will also need to source a 23 gallon tank from the Gas JT as well as need to rip out the piping and tank for the DEF system - say goodbye to 400 miles on a tank with the 392! Then again, that's all about smiles per gallon.
I do enjoy the fuel economy but I only average about 800 miles a month so it's not too much of a hit there. IMHO I think the fun of it would outweigh the loss of economy. You have to pay to play!

OP
OP

tjd2003

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A deleted diesel with a big turbo would be easier than a 392 swap :)
I did do some research on deleting it, or at least attempted to. There's not a lot of folks who have done that or at least they're not talking about it. Honestly I'm terrified of owning a modern diesel without a warranty. I work in the automotive industry and I have seen some MASSIVE shop bills for diesels with fuel system problems. I wouldn't have a warranty going this route either, but a Hemi scares me a lot less than a diesel.

WoolyKris

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineer
Ultimately it comes down to how much you are willing to spend. Swapping a 392, will definitely cost you a lot more than any modern diesel repair bill, and you instantly void any warranty left on the truck. If you are really worried about durability of the oil gasser get extended coverage. Trust me these projects become money pits really quick with modern cars. If you want that V8 powa why not get Rubicon 393 or TRX?

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
After owning a ZR2 diesel that drove incredibly well I was in the position to either delete/tune or just get a Mojave. (Was having way too many emissions issues) With no local support and no warranty with the delete/tune and the cost to do it swapping back to a gas engine was an easy choice.

Will the 392 fit under the diesel hood or do you have to swap all the front body parts also? I initially just thought it was my hood that was different but there is more to it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tjd2003

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ultimately it comes down to how much you are willing to spend. Swapping a 392, will definitely cost you a lot more than any modern diesel repair bill, and you instantly void any warranty left on the truck. If you are really worried about durability of the oil gasser get extended coverage. Trust me these projects become money pits really quick with modern cars. If you want that V8 powa why not get Rubicon 393 or TRX?
I drove a TRX and it is very fast but after having an Audi SUV and now the Gladiator, it seemed MASSIVE lol. I have been contemplating getting a Rubicon 392 but Iā€™m afraid Iā€™d miss having a truck bed. I do some woodworking as a hobby and use the bed to haul lumber. I could get a trailer but it wonā€™t fit in the garage and the HOA wonā€™t allow a trailer in the side or back yard.

WoolyKris

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineer
Convenience of owning a truck, canā€™t argue thereā€¦. Years back I had a folding trailer from harbor freight, it fit in our one car garage with enough space to park a Cherokee. Crappy little thing, but pretty durable for the price.

OP
OP

tjd2003

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Convenience of owning a truck, canā€™t argue thereā€¦. Years back I had a folding trailer from harbor freight, it fit in our one car garage with enough space to park a Cherokee. Crappy little thing, but pretty durable for the price.
Iā€™ve been looking at that trailer! I wondered if it would fit in the garage being so small. Also wondered how well it would work hauling some lumber across town.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
getting the diesel got me Dana 44's front and rear
Don't all JTs have 44s front and rear? It's only on Wranglers where the 44s are an upgrade. Rubis, max tows, and Mojaves get widetrack axles, but we all have 44s on our Gladiators, on both ends

Barnabyā€™sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Iā€™ve been looking at that trailer! I wondered if it would fit in the garage being so small. Also wondered how well it would work hauling some lumber across town.
Look at a regular aluminum trailer, too. I had one years ago (Triton) that was light enough (~400 lbs) that I mounted blocks on the side of it and would lift and tilt it up against the wall of the garage (one car). Left room for a motorcycle and other stuff.

I wouldnā€™t let the Gladiator bed be the deciding factor to keep it vs. another vehicle. A station wagon (i.e. Subaru Outback) with a decent trailer is going to haul more lumber than youā€™re going to get into a Gladiator bed.

How often are you REALLY going to use a trailer? I didnā€™t go buy one until I found myself running to Uhaul pretty much every other weekend to rent one. The only way I use the bed (practically useless, in my opinion) is if I donā€™t feel like running home to get my trailer.
Sponsored