Sponsored

Ecodiesel vs gas engine for a Gladiator Sport S ?

PadreANT

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Pastor
I was wondering if anyone has any experience/ideas about getting the ecodiesel vs the gas on a Gladiator Sport S ... this will be a daily driver, but will also tow a camper of no more than 3,000 lbs. weight.
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I was wondering if anyone has any experience/ideas about getting the ecodiesel vs the gas on a Gladiator Sport S ... this will be a daily driver, but will also tow a camper of no more than 3,000 lbs. weight.
Did you search? Just saying...
If that's all you're going to tow, than either will be fine.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Go to google and type "jeepgladiatorforum diesel gas" and read to your heart's content. Really there will be a thousand different opinions. There are drawbacks to both. You just need to decide your happy medium and go for it.

Last edited:

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
If you can afford it (and don't get a lemon), the diesel is awesome. I've had a 3.6 since they came out on JKs in 2012 and the driving experience with the EcoDiesel is 1,000 times better. More torque and you really feel the acceleration. I can't imagine having a Gladiator with the 3.6. My wife drives a Cherokee with the 3.2 Pentastar (not an exact apples to apples comparison) and it feels gutless despite her car being 2,000lbs lighter.

3.6 drivers may get the last laugh with maintenance issues in 5+ years, though...

Sponsored

kickingaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Owner - New River Offroad
I had a 2020 Gladiator Sport S with the Max Tow package and it was just as expected. I upgraded to 38s on that and with the 8-speed and 4.10s it was fine. I recently bought a 2021 Rubicon diesel and upgraded the tires to 37s on this one. Although it only has 3.73 gears (for now), the diesel hardly notices the oversize tires. Big plus is that I was getting an average of about 25mpg, I'm guessing about 22 now with the tires and wheels. I say I am guessing because I have not had the computer updated for the speedometer calibration yet. I guess you have to decided how long it will take to make up $4,000 in gas savings for the diesel motor, and whether you can accept the lower towing capacity of the diesel. My Max Tow Sport S was 7,600 pounds towing capacity, the Rubicon diesel is 6,000 due to the additional weight.

OP
OP

PadreANT

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Pastor
Did you search? Just saying...
If that's all you're going to tow, than either will be fine.
I'm just wondering if it is worth the extra expense in both up front cost, fuel costs (diesel is about $1.15/gallon more than gas where I live), and the added cost for oil changes ...

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'm just wondering if it is worth the extra expense in both up front cost, fuel costs (diesel is about $1.15/gallon more than gas where I live), and the added cost for oil changes ...
I think the driving experience is worth the added cost my $0.02. I actually prefer it over the 392 in a lot of ways.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Start at page one and read the whole thread.

Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I had this dilemma with a previous vehicle and went with the diesel in that case. Part of it was driving dynamics (the torque is nice). The other part was the delusion that it would be cheaper to operate.

Drive both. Does the fun of the diesel outweigh both the guaranteed and possible headaches? If so, buy it.

Keep in mind that diesel vehicle ownership is essentially a cult. Folks freely offer the Kool-Aid, but often aren’t all that free to offer up the shortcomings.

Edit: To be clear, Jeep peeps essentially have a cult, so diesel Jeep owners are like a cult within a cult. I don’t want to stand in the way of their Kool-Aid distribution efforts. 🤣

Last edited:
OP
OP

PadreANT

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Pastor
Start at page one and read the whole thread.
So I read the whole post and comments, and it seems overwhelming positive about the eco-diesel, as long as you do your part and keep up with the maintenance. It seemed towards the end there was someone who has some overheating issues, but it seemed like it was just his situation ... I didn't see any "me too" posts about this ... So, maybe it will be worth it, even though here in PA, diesel is about $1.15 more per gallon than gas ... Thanks for the link.

GekoGladiator

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Jeep Jk Unlimited
Occupation
Self Employeed
If you can afford it (and don't get a lemon), the diesel is awesome. I've had a 3.6 since they came out on JKs in 2012 and the driving experience with the EcoDiesel is 1,000 times better. More torque and you really feel the acceleration. I can't imagine having a Gladiator with the 3.6. My wife drives a Cherokee with the 3.2 Pentastar (not an exact apples to apples comparison) and it feels gutless despite her car being 2,000lbs lighter.

3.6 drivers may get the last laugh with maintenance issues in 5+ years, though...
Agree with above. Just got a new Gladiator and I love the torque and pulling 35’s with no re gear is a game changer. I have had a 93 YJ 4cyl (dog), 99 TJ 6 cyl, 07 JK and still own a 09 JKU. Loved every one but I like the diesel the best so far. Just keeping my fingers crossed that its not a lemon. It blows my mind to get 25mpg in a Jeep!

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Unless you live where diesel is priced at par with gas, which I know it is in many regions, fuel economy is irrelevant. Here, diesel is 1.60 more per gallon, so operating the diesel won't be cheaper. But range is nice. I think the diesel gets better range, even with the smaller tank. The torque is even nicer. If you want the torque, get the diesel.

I have a gasser for a multitude of reason, even though I love torque.
1) I'm cheap
2) I like my stick shift
3) I like my simple maintenance. Just gas up, change the oil, and that's it.

But I do really like the diesel. I've been wheeling with a few guys with the diesel, and the torque is great off-road. I'm sure it's great on road too. It can pull 35s or 37s with ease.

Any JT of any trim will pull 3000 lbs. Even a Wrangler will. So the question just becomes do you want the torque and range, and are they worth the added spend.
Sponsored