Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
No real new information but I found it distributed between this and other sites so I figured I'd post what worked for me this week.

Ordered a new PCM for my truck (68256850AA) which was $222.59 shipped. I then set an appointment up at Jeep. Thankfully they could see me right away, the new PCM arrived quickly.

Jeep had me in and out. I simply told them I wanted a copy of my existing PCM that I could swap in if needed. I was anticipating a ton of questioning but the technician simply asked which one I wanted to leave installed, I told him the existing one and about an hour later I was heading out.

Service cost on the clone was $149, bringing the total cost to $371.59.

Jeep Gladiator ECU/PCM clone process & pricing Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 12.51.30 PM
Sponsored

ParatusExpeditions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
My dealer asked me $600+ when I asked if hypothetically someone would want a spare to be cloned. And $1500 if the original needed to be installed back.
Luckily it was just hypothetical and I didn’t pay that. But I wouldn’t ask this dealership again the same question 😄

did you try the new one? Is it working?

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
My dealer asked me $600+ when I asked if hypothetically someone would want a spare to be cloned. And $1500 if the original needed to be installed back.
Luckily it was just hypothetical and I didn’t pay that. But I wouldn’t ask this dealership again the same question 😄

did you try the new one? Is it working?
Like a champ so far. Enough play exists in the cabling such that I was able to install it by zip-tying it to the fuse box without having to remove the old one just yet. I just masked off the female ends of the existing PCM. Going to run it a few days but so far no oddities, it seems to have remembered everything down to stations unless stuff like that isn't stored in the PCM in the first place, not sure.

Jeep Gladiator ECU/PCM clone process & pricing Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 1.30.51 PM

Chief_jeep

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
No real new information but I found it distributed between this and other sites so I figured I'd post what worked for me this week.

Ordered a new PCM for my truck (68256850AA) which was $222.59 shipped. I then set an appointment up at Jeep. Thankfully they could see me right away, the new PCM arrived quickly.

Jeep had me in and out. I simply told them I wanted a copy of my existing PCM that I could swap in if needed. I was anticipating a ton of questioning but the technician simply asked which one I wanted to leave installed, I told him the existing one and about an hour later I was heading out.

Service cost on the clone was $149, bringing the total cost to $371.59.

Jeep Gladiator ECU/PCM clone process & pricing Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 1.30.51 PM

Where did you order your PCM from? I spoke with my dealer and they want $300 for a new PCM that is 2-3+ months out from being delivered.

The guy was very confused why I'd want a back up haha

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Yeah, I want to know the same thing, how long did it take, and where did you get it for that price

Sponsored

OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Last edited:
OP
OP
staying_tuned

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
I also grabbed another fuse box cover so I could create a mounting surface to leave my stock PCM in place the entire time. I still haven't removed the stock PCM. Fuse box cover was $28 or something then another $5 for bolts and wingnuts, not a huge expense to be able to hot swap them in seconds thanks to just enough loom in the stock wiring. This way I can just pull the lid with the "extra" PCM, put the stock cover in place and back to stock. I'll post some pics once done.

Chief_jeep

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Real Estate Agent

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
well I'll be dipped....I just ordered one. Thanks for that, putting a tune on one and the other a stocker

ParatusExpeditions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
As for the “cloning” part, I’ve done some research on that. The dealer isn’t cloning anything. They’ll put it in your car or at least plug it. Connect with the MDP, connect on the mopar service portal and flash it from the last version available, write your vin to it and re-init some ECUs that will now be a bit lost. Clear code restarts the car a few times and that’s it. Only issue is the dongle is $1800. Other than that it can be done at home, you’d also need something to keep the battery voltage up.

The bench flash or whatever tuners do works too but I don’t know which device they use and whatnot as I haven’t looked into it. Also, it seems like the car will display a red security icon on the dash that will stay there allegedly and is kinda annoying compared to doing it the official way.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
As for the “cloning” part, I’ve done some research on that. The dealer isn’t cloning anything. They’ll put it in your car or at least plug it. Connect with the MDP, connect on the mopar service portal and flash it from the last version available, write your vin to it and re-init some ECUs that will now be a bit lost. Clear code restarts the car a few times and that’s it. Only issue is the dongle is $1800. Other than that it can be done at home, you’d also need something to keep the battery voltage up.

The bench flash or whatever tuners do works too but I don’t know which device they use and whatnot as I haven’t looked into it. Also, it seems like the car will display a red security icon on the dash that will stay there allegedly and is kinda annoying compared to doing it the official way.
Most seem to be using is Alien tech stuff

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
i found this
https://www.alientech-news.com/en/powergate3-1-66/

which aligns with the trans tuner module some of the the tuners are sending out.

I have a powergate 3 that was paired to a JT and uses alientech software to protect and manage the tuners proprietary files. aka vin locks the PG3 to vin number.

I would guess they are using Kess to bench read the ecu and let the pw3 interface.

Justinswidebody

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
If you want to clone your own ECU, you can purchase the tools to do it yourself for less than $150.

You have to purchase a Chinese clone of a scanmatik 2 pro, and use pcmflash version 1.20

You can get the clone scanmatik 2 pro from here:

US $37.14 25%OFF | SM2 PRO J2534 VCI PCM ECU Programmer Dongle 67 IN 1 ECU Read&Write V1.20 EEPROM FLASH BENCH OBD Update SM2 Hardware 12V/24V
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPGnnQI

Make sure to choose option (new full set).

If anyone is interested in learning to do it this way, please let me know and I will assist you..
Sponsored