• Watchers 8

BryantM4

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
If you can get it done, do it. Diesel Emissions have no real effect on a “clean enviroment” as most gas vehicles run way dirtier.
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My question exactly. IF that's the case then why is the EPA going after diesel mods first?? Those who have been fined, etc. have mostly been diesel mod products. The EPA is hammering diesels hard. Gas engines run cleaner.

And here's some info from the government - first, a hint for mechanics working on modified vehicles:
Do not work on tampered emission controls unless repairing them to their original condition - otherwise you can be held personally liable.

And what constitutes tampering -
Tampering with, or selling a vehicle that has been tampered with may result in monetary penalties. The components of a vehicle emission control system that can be tampered with include, but are not limited to:

catalytic converter
air injection system
evaporative emission system
exhaust gas recirculation (egr)
system fuel inlet restrictor
oxygen sensor positive
crankcase ventilation (pcv)
computer command controls
thermostatic air intake system
diesel particulate filter

Engine warranties can get really sticky since they can't work on any part of an engine that is part of emissions unless they put everything back and make it pass emissions. Take it in not passing and need work done, it can get tricky. If a main bearing fails, that's different, that's got to be covered, oil seal leak - same thing, but if there's an issue that's connected to tune or emissions, they can't touch it unless they make the emissions parts right again.

Brekka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Wrangler Rubicon
I am very sure you could paint “I did a sketchy diesel delete while in Mexico” on the side of your truck, and zero sh*ts will be given by Customs & Border Patrol. They’re looking for smugglers, drugs, people, etc.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I am very sure you could paint “I did a sketchy diesel delete while in Mexico” on the side of your truck, and zero sh*ts will be given by Customs & Border Patrol. They’re looking for smugglers, drugs, people, etc.
LOL - no kidding. That's not on their things to do anyway. They are concerned with greater matters. It's up to the states and other authorities to deal with emissions and the blue or black smoke emanating from the rear of a vehicle (unless that smoke smells like something familiar to them)

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
I will be glad when the warranty period is over, then it's no holds barred. If the motor survives past warranty unscathed then I think I will be out of the woods.

domingjm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S, Diesel
Or you could save a lot of money and frustration and get the Green Diesel Tune. We compared those northern weight loss tunes from up north, funny stuff. The GDE tune on Gen3 is about 1 second quicker 0-60 and gets better fuel economy. Does not make sense to change all those parts to go slower, lose efficiency, destroy the warranty and devalue the rig.
https://greendieselengineering.com/...el-performance-fuel-economy-clean-engine-oil/
I'll put my credit card down right now for one of these if you can guarantee that my 10y warranty can't be invalidated with this modification.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I'll put my credit card down right now for one of these if you can guarantee that my 10y warranty can't be invalidated with this modification.
You probably already know that is not going to happen.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
My question exactly. IF that's the case then why is the EPA going after diesel mods first?? Those who have been fined, etc. have mostly been diesel mod products. The EPA is hammering diesels hard. Gas engines run cleaner.

And here's some info from the government - first, a hint for mechanics working on modified vehicles:
Do not work on tampered emission controls unless repairing them to their original condition - otherwise you can be held personally liable.

And what constitutes tampering -
Tampering with, or selling a vehicle that has been tampered with may result in monetary penalties. The components of a vehicle emission control system that can be tampered with include, but are not limited to:

catalytic converter
air injection system
evaporative emission system
exhaust gas recirculation (egr)
system fuel inlet restrictor
oxygen sensor positive
crankcase ventilation (pcv)
computer command controls
thermostatic air intake system
diesel particulate filter

Engine warranties can get really sticky since they can't work on any part of an engine that is part of emissions unless they put everything back and make it pass emissions. Take it in not passing and need work done, it can get tricky. If a main bearing fails, that's different, that's got to be covered, oil seal leak - same thing, but if there's an issue that's connected to tune or emissions, they can't touch it unless they make the emissions parts right again.

Diesel truck bro's rolling coal is why the EPA cares.

SCR, DEF, and DPF is a garbage way to stave off converting heavy diesels to something else.

There was likely a california study that homeless camps under overpasses had extra soot from diesels driving by causing a .00001% mortality rate or complications when mixed with drugs so we now have to collect all the soot :)

I made that up but i bet its the truth.

Sponsored

India-ThreeZeroThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport, 1995 YJ Cummins R2.8
Occupation
Retired slug. Drive RVs to Alaska
you are 100% correct. They don’t care about emission. An avocado? Definitely. A dirty delete? No. 😂

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
I would also add that I doubt border patrol has jurisdiction over emissions systems.

Same reason TSA doesn’t directly oversee drug issues and has on site DEA and local law enforcement to handle.

India-ThreeZeroThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport, 1995 YJ Cummins R2.8
Occupation
Retired slug. Drive RVs to Alaska
Ive heard some good things back! the physical stuff is easy and the tuning is looking better and better. Ive gotten a serious education on the complexity of these machines, and have a new found respect for tuners.
There is this thing. It’s called the internet, and it has this other thing that works with it called Goog…

JK

After EPA went all out with suppliers and shops in the US (not individuals with deletes contrary to truckerlore) things have gone radio silent on deletes. This ramped up late 2020. And how old are Gladiators now? Factory diesel Jeeps are still a baby. Most will be about Ram, Fords and Duramax. Any search with diesel Jeeps will be VW TDI, Cummins 4bt and my fave 2.8 swaps.
Scroll up and someone mentioned a company in Canada. While at it, see if they offer a CP4 to CP3 swap. I personally know 2 shops in BC. But had to do with 6.7 Cummins. I didn’t see mention of Ecodiesel.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
im tracking. im just kicking around the idea, since im not driving to canada. if im in san diego for instance, tj isnt far. my concern is 1. can they even do it since idk what mexican emissions is like. 2. will the sound of the exshaust be an issue at the border.
…of course limp mode may also be a give away…lol