Sponsored

ESS, like it or not?

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
I have had 2 trucks and 3 jeeps that were manual, but the more I think about the JT, the more I'm thinking automatic. I'll just keep the CJ-7 around for my manual thrills.
It maybe worthwhile to test drive the JL's to confirm that decision? My opinion is just one man's opinion :)
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I have had 2 trucks and 3 jeeps that were manual, but the more I think about the JT, the more I'm thinking automatic. I'll just keep the CJ-7 around for my manual thrills.
Lol, you said manual thrills. That's what the kids are calling that these days?

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, you said manual thrills. That's what the kids are calling that these days?
The kids would probably think I was talking about something else.

DaveMNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I did not like this feature at all, once I learned how to disconnect it(ESS) life has been much better driving the JL

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I did not like this feature at all, once I learned how to disconnect it(ESS) life has been much better driving the JL
I actually do like the feature. I quickly got used to it and it doesn't bother me at all. Once you anticipate when you're about to move again and gently release pressure on the brake the system starts the motor again so it's ready. It starts so quickly and quietly, pretty surprising actually. I do think I'm getting decent mileage because of it. There's about 1,180 miles on my JLU and the dash says I'm getting 19.9-20.0 mpg combined. Much better than I ever could get in the old 4Runner I traded in for this.

Sponsored

DaveMNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I actually do like the feature. I quickly got used to it and it doesn't bother me at all. Once you anticipate when you're about to move again and gently release pressure on the brake the system starts the motor again so it's ready. It starts so quickly and quietly, pretty surprising actually. I do think I'm getting decent mileage because of it. There's about 1,180 miles on my JLU and the dash says I'm getting 19.9-20.0 mpg combined. Much better than I ever could get in the old 4Runner I traded in for this.
Good to hear, glad you like it. I actually really like it now that I don't have to think about it and it's off 100% of the time. So much so that I was driving around last week and realized....oh yeah that stupid ESS doesn't work any more. Love my jeep more now!

pilotpat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 & 2020 Bright White Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator :)
Is Jeep-Gas Mileage like Jumbo Shrimp? Makes no sense?! I’m not buying a Jeep or a truck for gas mileage and I hated it on the rentals I have had so I will permanently disable it.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Is Jeep-Gas Mileage like Jumbo Shrimp? Makes no sense?! I’m not buying a Jeep or a truck for gas mileage and I hated it on the rentals I have had so I will permanently disable it.
My cousin just got a V8 SIlverado. My wife mentioned gas mileage to him and he sent her this video (that is not my cousin by the way, he was just trying to make a point):

:CWL:

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I'm not really sure why some want to poo poo better fuel economy. I get that it's a Jeep, but why can't you have your cake and eat it, too? If they want to give me better mileage, I'll take it. Guess that's why they put the disable button on there; they anticipated it wouldn't be something that flies with everyone.

pilotpat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 & 2020 Bright White Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator :)
I'm not really sure why some want to poo poo better fuel economy. I get that it's a Jeep, but why can't you have your cake and eat it, too? If they want to give me better mileage, I'll take it. Guess that's why they put the disable button on there; they anticipated it wouldn't be something that flies with everyone.
I agree 100%! I’ll take better fuel economy all day but it surely isn’t a factor when I’m buying a Jeep truck! Plus I’m not sure I want my Jeep anything remotely like a Prius! ;)

Smiles per gallon not miles per gallon!

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
My cousin just got a V8 SIlverado. My wife mentioned gas mileage to him and he sent her this video (that is not my cousin by the way, he was just trying to make a point):

:CWL:
Great video, i agree with the guy but also, I agree with Jank4AU below

if you can have your cake and eat it too would be awesome. ESS does give you better MPG, but if its function bothers you so much, just press the button, or spend $150 to turn it off.

Jeep and SOME of the govt are trying to save the world from ourselves. Global warming is a thing and fossil fuels supply will eventually decrease.
giphy.gif

I agree 100%! I’ll take better fuel economy all day but it surely isn’t a factor when I’m buying a Jeep truck! Plus I’m not sure I want my Jeep anything remotely like a Prius! ;)

Smiles per gallon not miles per gallon!
I also agree with you pilotpat. I'm not buying the JT for better economy. If they design it to make XYZ MPG then great. I've got a PACHY to help the environment and I try to recycle and not be wasteful. If my Jeep has ESS and it sucks, i'll turn it off. Likely though, i'll just get use to it.

Oh, and if the PIHG is anything like my Pacifica Hybrid with 4x4 off-road PLYWOOD hauling awesomeness, i'm in!

I truly think there are valid reasons for each person's opinion on this topic. No one-size-fits-all........unless we're talking about PLYWOOD, then its 4x8, with or without a notch.......unless its baltic birch which is 5x5 and stupid.

DaveMNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Jeep and SOME of the govt are trying to save the world from ourselves. Global warming is a thing and fossil fuels supply will eventually decrease.

I also agree with you pilotpat. I'm not buying the JT for better economy. If they design it to make XYZ MPG then great. I've got a PACHY to help the environment and I try to recycle and not be wasteful. If my Jeep has ESS and it sucks, i'll turn it off. Likely though, i'll just get use to it
I find this funny.....all this talk of saving the environment, why does the same govt that wants to protect us from fossil fuel then allow trash to be dumped in our oceans??? Doesn't make sense to me.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We we suppose to spend money on this fix? I did mine for free.
i just read somebody bought a $150 harness or somthing to disable it. You're more crafty.
Sponsored