Sponsored

ESS, like it or not?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I find this funny.....all this talk of saving the environment, why does the same govt that wants to protect us from fossil fuel then allow trash to be dumped in our oceans??? Doesn't make sense to me.
its the govt, doesn't make sense. Half the policies/laws contradict others. Its not perfect. #covfefe
Sponsored

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon JT, 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales Director Alloy Wheel Repair
Hate it, hate it, hate it.

I rent a lot a vehicles. The feature makes me crazy. I avoid cars I know have it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
First rental car I drove with it in was a Jeep Cherokee. It surprised me at first as I thought something went wrong but I knew about the feature so it wasn't a big deal. I drive a manual JK so I don't creep in traffic and I like to drive safe so I'm pretty lazy to go from the brake to the accelerator. I didn't notice the lag being a big deal like so many others. I've heard people calling it a safety issue too, but their arguments didn't take into account human reaction time.

I can understand the concern over the starter motor longevity, but the new motors are built to take a punishment. This is like the guys who complained about ABS being mandatory because they liked to pump their brakes. Or the ones that hate traction/stability control but rave about how it saved them from the ditch on a slick portion of the highway. There is a learning curve with most new technologies but overall I still see ESS as an overall improvement.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Why wouldn't you be able to cross the wires behind the ESS switch to permanently turn it off? Maybe there is an answer to a quick (really cheap) fix on the JL forum. For me, I'll see if it can get used to it. I had a few rentals with it, sometimes I didn't notice and sometimes it annoyed me.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trickster

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Well it must save fuel, I mean the engine is off right?
But how much fuel I guess depends on how long you sit not moving.
The Nascar drivers do it on caution laps to save fuel, so I guess it might be worth it.:like:

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Well it must save fuel, I mean the engine is off right?
But how much fuel I guess depends on how long you sit not moving.
The Nascar drivers do it on caution laps to save fuel, so I guess it might be worth it.:like:
I guess you can only turn left so many times before a pit stop is needed.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
We we suppose to spend money on this fix? I did mine for free.
Do tell new friend!!! How can it be done discreetly?
I'll bet he disconnected the second hood closed sensor. That is the only "free" option that I know of for disabling ESS, but it causes a warning light to appear on the dash. My OCD can't handle that. I'd rather the module that pushes the button for me :angel:

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
Here's a video about how much an idling engine uses and start stop fuel savings. I think his end result is about 7 seconds, but my guess is it may have some variation based on motor, specific design choices and all that.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Here's a video about how much an idling engine uses and start stop fuel savings. I think his end result is about 7 seconds, but my guess is it may have some variation based on motor, specific design choices and all that.
Wow, someone else seems to like saving money & helping Mother Earth in the process ! Wish you could find the AutoLine Daily Web. YouTube Video when they had ~ a 20 minute conversation with a top Jeep Engineer on the BENEFITS OF THE eTorque vs ESS in fuel savings & other benefits ! Took place about 6 months ago (?) but very educational (not boring). I am lacking in the downloading area - to "old school" &/or senile ! ? ( :computerrage: ? )

Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
I’m getting a Flashcal for the Gladiator when it’s time to upgrade the tire size to 35’s and auto-transmission shifts. It apparently includes a ESS (stop/start) enable & disable toggle within the options. Can’t justify the price yet just for the ESS feature, but when the time comes to purchase the unit, ESS will be permanently in off mode.

https://superchips.com/flashcal-jl-wrangler-gladiator/

Elanachan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep TJ Wrangler Sport, 2014 Toyota Prius
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not really sure why some want to poo poo better fuel economy. I get that it's a Jeep, but why can't you have your cake and eat it, too? If they want to give me better mileage, I'll take it. Guess that's why they put the disable button on there; they anticipated it wouldn't be something that flies with everyone.
I don't get it either. Granted I'm used to it sense mom's had a prius for quite some time (the auto start/stop is normal with that one), but it does make sense as a fuel saving measure. Furthermore, any enhancements to our fuel economy means we can be out on the trail longer because the rate of consumption is lower, less of a need for emergency gas tanks that way.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Rented a car for vacation that has ESS. Hated it, Hated it, Hated it! No on or off button. Only way to turn it off was to put the auto-trans in manual mode, up shift to highest gear, and then it would function like and automatic. If they are going to put it in the vehicle at least give us an on off button. Vehicle was a Chevy Equinox. I requested a Jeep Grand Cherokee and got screwed from Hertz. Talk to a rep from Enterprise and he gave me his card and told me he'd get me exactly what I wanted next time. Anyways as for ESS, I hate it!!!

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Entrepreneur
For those who missed the announcement, the SmartStopStart ESS memory module is now available for the Gladiator JT.

SmartStopStart retains factory operation of the ESS disable button, but allows the vehicle to remember your preference each time you start the Jeep, rather than always defaulting to ESS ON as it does from the factory.
The module installs easily under the dash, and does not disable the Security Gateway Module (SGW) nor does it take up the OBDII port. It also does not set off any fault lights, warning dings or fault codes.

It is available at https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

There is also much discussion regarding this product in the Wrangler JL forum at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/smartstopstart.115/

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I ordered the SmartStopStart on June 10...received it yesterday. Now I just need the Jeep.
Sponsored