Sponsored

ESS, like it or not?

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I test drove an automatic Rubicon JT with ESS at my dealership. So much to love in that car... but the ESS, not so much.

I have a manual JT ordered. I may look into an over ride system for the ESS.

Not a fan.
Sponsored

lukem80

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
or just make it a habit when you are about to drive anywhere to hit the button and turn it off. I'm so old I can remember not using my seat belt because there were no laws for it... I got used to that around 2000-2001.

Gunlovebirds1024

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
When the engine stops it also stops features like the A/C. Wonder what that does for fuel consumption? Less because not running but more to make cool again?

bmount

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
When the engine stops it also stops features like the A/C. Wonder what that does for fuel consumption? Less because not running but more to make cool again?
I would assume at a couple stop lights the A/C turning off wouldn't have much affect. Your cab temp shouldn't rise that much in a minute while waiting at a light (assuming you don't live in the southwest!). Now if you have lights at every block or sitting in a traffic jam, I could see that getting miserable.

Elanachan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep TJ Wrangler Sport, 2014 Toyota Prius
Vehicle Showcase
@bmount Living in the southwest, you mean like Moab, Jeep's holy ground? Especially with which company we're talking about that seems like a strange oversight.

Sponsored

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
On a hot day with the ac running the ESS shut the motor down at a light. Cool air continued to blow out the vents for sometime. It was a long light..... after awhile the engine restarted with my foot still on the brake to satisfy the demand for ac. ESS does not affect creature comforts.
I don't use it all the time and the button is right there to shut it off. ESS really is a non issue and is pretty seamless. First vehicle I have owned to have it.

bmount

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
@bmount Living in the southwest, you mean like Moab, Jeep's holy ground? Especially with which company we're talking about that seems like a strange oversight.
Not sure I see what the oversight is?? Jeeps are sold throughout the world.

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
I really dont see why all the big fuss. I too do not like the ESS. However, after 2 weeks of owning my JL, it is muscle memory for me now to push the Start button, then move my hand 45 degrees down and to the right about 12" and press the ESS button to disable it. It's not that freaking hard people. Try it for 2 weeks straight and ingrain it to your startup routine. In no time it will just happen naturally... muscle memory. Inconvenient at first but hell of a lot better than spending $100+ on something to solve a non issue.

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
ESS question....
ESS is active. You pull into your driveway and brake to a stop. The engine shuts off.
Is there any way to shut the vehicle down without the engine restarting?? Seems insane that the engine has to restart so that you can immediately shut it off. Going to Park makes it restart, pressing the ignition button makes it restart....

Rav34653

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Vehicle Showcase
There are at least 6 ways to defeat the ESS, the one most used at no cost is to disconnect the #2 hood ajar switch, This will leave an Icon on the dash that's an A with a partial circle around it, Most people have no Issue with that, However I would reconnect it for any service calls with the dealer

Sponsored

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I don't have a problem with pressing the dash defeat button to disable ESS.
Just want to know if there is a way to shut the truck down after ESS has shut off the motor without the motor restarting again.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Works fine, saves gas, factory dual battery, controllable with the brake pedal, what's not to like?

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
ESS question....
ESS is active. You pull into your driveway and brake to a stop. The engine shuts off.
Is there any way to shut the vehicle down without the engine restarting?? Seems insane that the engine has to restart so that you can immediately shut it off. Going to Park makes it restart, pressing the ignition button makes it restart....
The easy way is to not push the brake hard enough to engage ESS, then shift to park and switch it off.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Yea, I will say, as much as I am against ESS I think the implementation in the Gladiator is as good as I've seen it.

It doesn't engage right away, there is a few second delay, and it requires the brake to be fully depressed.
So @Rokon what @Bobzdar may work for you. To not push the brake in fully....

OR

Auto-Park for the win... As you are slowing down just open your driver door. As long as you are going under 1.2 MPH the truck will instantly go into Park... no ESS and you can just shut off :like: you're welcome!
Sponsored

Last edited: